Corsair Community

Microsoft reports faulty memory

My computer has 'closed down' 3 times in the last few days. The power button stays lit, but the computer ceases to operate. After re-booting, Microsoft XP asks if I wish to report the fault and then suggests a memory fault caused the problem. I have downloaded and run their memory diagnosis test (mtinst) and it reports 1 of my four modules (in bank 0) being faulty, over 100 faults on tests stride38 and winvc (does this make sense to you?). I have removed the module and its paired module, re-run the test and all is ok. When I move a good module to bank 0 all is still ok. This indicates to me that there is a fault with the memory. Do you agree?

M/board = Gigabyte, ga-pe1000 pro g

Windows XP, running in dual channel mode.

Memory = 2 pairs Corsair Twinx cmx512-3200XL, totalling 2gb.

No overclocking.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you, George Pearce. originally posted 26-6-05

The bios options for the Dim voltage is standard, +.1, +.2, +.3, volts. Current setting is standard, which I assume to be 2.8 volts.

Gigabyte docs indicate that 4 mem modules DDR800 are OK.

Have run the memtest 86+ (User friendly web-site!!!) for each mem module and no errors reported.

Before running memtest I ran computer with only 1gb of memory for 3 days and didn't have problems with computer. Now that I have re-installed the other 2 modules I have had 2 crashes in last 24 hours. I have re-run Microsft's mem test (which originally reported fault) and no faults reported. M/soft's automatic diagnosis is now suggesting driver problems!

Do we now assume memory is OK? Do you have any further suggestions - I have not installed any new software or hardware recently.

Many thanks,

George Pearce.

No, please make sure than you have the Dim Voltage set to 2.8 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, many Giga-byte MB's suggest DDR333 when you have all four slots filled, so please check the documentation.

• Corsair Employees
With Giga-Byte you would set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.3 Volts for 2.8 Volts. And with all four modules I would set the timings manually to Cass 3-3-3-8 with this MB. But please test the modules one at a time to be sure one is not failing.

Archived