Corsair Community

Upgrading to 2gigs

Bathazar

I want to add 2x512mb of Corsair XMS RAM to my PC.

Considering my current RAM setup of:

1024MB (2x512MB) Corsair XMS PC3200 400MHz DDR (high performance w/ heat spreader)

Timing: 3-3-3-8

What exactly should I buy? And how is RAM installation done?

I also have a 754 pin MSI K8T Neo FSR VIA K8T800 mohterboard if that has to do with installation.

thanks

I would suggest CMX1024-3200C2 or VS1GB400C3 with this MB as it is not dual channel and will perform better with just one module.

Well I found out that I only have one more RAM slot on my mobo so if I currently have twinX1024-3200 could I get one stick of CMX1024-3200PRO and see a good performance boost? And would this work?

thanks

No it may not work together and I would onlu use 2-512 Meg modules or 2-1.0 Gig modules for best performance.

Yeah, nut I have no room for 2 512 modules. I only have one RAM slot left. What should I do to have 2 gigs?

If I was to get two 1gig modules is there a way to exchange my current 512mb modules?

• Corsair Employees
Sorry but it’s not a good idea to mix memory. You are welcome to try it but I can almost guarantee you it will not run properly. And No I am sorry we do not have any type of trade in program.

I've decided that I am going to swap out my current 2x512MB setup for a 2x1024MB setup.

Is this RAM any good and will it work properly with my motherboard I listed above?

Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1024MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel System Kit Memory Model Twinx2048-3200C2pt

w/Heat Spreader.

• Corsair Employees
Yes they will run great in that system. Just install the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the timings manually to the tested settings listed in the link in my signature for XMS3200C2. Cass 2.5-3-3-6.

so are the slots 1-2-3 from left to right or what?

Normally that is the case.

Without knowing what MOBO you have, I can't say for sure.

The RAM settings are usually under the Advanced Chipset tab in the BIOS.

These options are usually grayed out unless you set the System Performance to custom.

Once the RAM options are open you can adjust the settings according to RAM GUY's specs.

How do you access the BIOS? And I name my mobo on my first post in this thread.

Which of these is best:

TwinX2048-3200c2pt (what I plan on getting)

TwinX2048-3200PRO

Also, what is the difference between Un-buffered and Buffered memory?

I figured out how to access my BIOS and set the CAS Latency, but I have no idea how to set the Dim Voltage.

Also, my motherboards manuel explains how to install the RAM in the slots.

It explains how the placement depends on "S: Single Side" or "D: Double Side"

DIMMSLOT 1,2,and 3

S - -

- S -

- - S

D - -

- D -

- D -

S S -

S D -

S: Single Side D: Double Side

And it goes on to list many more combinations. Which is right for me?

thanks

Archived