Corsair Community

ASUS P4P800 DLX overclock help

bmaltz

Hi, I just built my fist complete system after having replaced just about everything in an older P3B-F P3 600MHz system. Here's the new system: * ASUS P4P800 Deluxe * P4 2.6C CPU * Zalman CNPS7000A-CU "mushroom" HS and fan (weighs a TON!!) * ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG, w/ 5 case fans * Antec TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply * 512 MB CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) (2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) TWINX512-3200C2 CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1 * MSI Geforce FX5200-VTD128 I would like to OC the system, but don't want to go too overboard and burn anything out. Also, what the heck does the "T1" mean in the RAM description, above? Thus far, I am running the newest BIOS (downloaded from ASUS, ver 1012) with default settings, but I am looking for guidance and info as to how to OC the CPU, video card, and RAM. Also, are there any web sites that provide step by step instructions for overclocking? Thanks in advance,

if u really dunno much about overclock and wants to try it safely.. if i'm not wrong. my friend has a asus 865 chipset bios and u can overclock its like 5% 10% 20% 30% its a auto overclock... and i tried it on my friends computer, it seemed to stable.. but the problem with that newbie overclock is that the bios set your ram timing to very high.. like a 400 mhz ram would set the timing to 3 4 4 8 when overclocking or something. which after i ran 3dmark 2001se on my friends computer actually decrease points lol... and the other part i'm worry about is the lock on agp/pci. but i think its locked when u do that.. i'm not 100% sure about it. there are alot of overclocking guide on the net.. i'm sure u can find them on a search engine. if u really want to learn the manually way(which is the best way to overclock)

I am currently overclocking my P4 2.6C CPU at a freq of 235 MHz (generating a 3.05 GHz CPU) and using the 5:4 divider (yielding 188 MHz on the RAM freq). I have Corsair TWINX512-3200C2 dual channel RAM (2x256). Can anyone tell me what DRAM voltages this RAM supports in an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo? Thanks Ben

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bmaltz [/i] [B]Hi, I just built my fist complete system after having replaced just about everything in an older P3B-F P3 600MHz system. Here's the new system: * ASUS P4P800 Deluxe * P4 2.6C CPU * Zalman CNPS7000A-CU "mushroom" HS and fan (weighs a TON!!) * ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG, w/ 5 case fans * Antec TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply * 512 MB CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) (2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) TWINX512-3200C2 CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1 * MSI Geforce FX5200-VTD128 I would like to OC the system, but don't want to go too overboard and burn anything out. Also, what the heck does the "T1" mean in the RAM description, above? Thus far, I am running the newest BIOS (downloaded from ASUS, ver 1012) with default settings, but I am looking for guidance and info as to how to OC the CPU, video card, and RAM. Also, are there any web sites that provide step by step instructions for overclocking? Thanks in advance, [/B][/QUOTE] Since you are running pc 3200 you will have to set it to a 5:4 divider to get a decent overclock. I would suggest some faster memory, so you can run at 1:1. First off, lock your agp/pci ratio to 33/66. You should set your CPU voltage to at least 1.6, memory voltage or vdimm to 2.85. Now start upping your fsb on your processor.... standard fsb is 200. With your cpu and memory you should be able to get a decent 5:4 overclock. I am not sure on your motherboard what you will max out around but you should be able to hit 250 fsb easy, that would put you around 3.25 ghz. Just keep upping your fsb until you find that you are having problems and then back off on the fsb a bit. A good thing to do is use memtest to test your memory before booting to windows, but it is not necessary.

OK, I have followed many of the great and informative suggestions I've found in this, and other, forums. My system is described in my signature, below. After overclocking and testing, and here is where I stand: DRAM Freq (MHz) = 320 DRAM Volt = 2.75 v CPU Freq (MHz) = 235 CPU Volt = 1.5625 v CPU Speed (GHz) = 3.05 Perform Mode = Turbo (but CPU-Z shows Disabled) Mem Freq (MHz) = 188 Divider = 5:4 Memory Timing = 2.0-3-3-6-4 MAM = Enab I can get my CPU up to 3.25 HGz (I can successfully boot into Win XP Pro), but it is not stable (prime95 fails). Is there anything else I can try, short of buying faster RAM? Although, it does not seem that my RAM is the limiting factor, since it is still slightly UNDERclocked at 188 MHz. I tried using the 1:1 divider with the CPU at 235, but the system will not even boot, so I backed off to 5:4. Thanks, Ben

Hi again, I tried bumping the cpu voltage to 1.6 and the memory voltage to 2.85. Unfortunately, prime95 still fails, although I can boot into windows. Am I correct in assuming that using prime95 is the proper means by which to test CPU stability? So I am running at: vdimm = 2.75v vcore = 1.575v CPU freq = 240 ==> 3.12 [b]G[/b]Hz Mem freq = 192 MHz mem timing = 2.0-2-3-6-4 (using the BIOS's order for setting timing) Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I would try Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and please make sure that you do not have any of the performance options set. Just set to Auto If you still get errors let's try replacing your modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Hi again, I tried Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and please made sure that all of the performance options were set to AUTO. I still get a failure on Prime95. It looks like I have exhausted just about every suggestion anyone has made and it appears that my CPU is EXACTLY what it is, a 2.6C GHZ CPU that just does not want to overclock beyond 3.12 GHz. Thanks

I tried Cass 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.75 Volts, but Prime95 still failed. It looks like I've got a CPU that can only be OC's by about 20%. Not exciting, but I'm still getting 20% more than I paid for. Given that it runs at (and a little better than) rated speed, I don't think I have a case to RMA the CPU, do you?

• Corsair Employees
I would have to agree. And I have the same problem with a 2.8 that I purchased for myself. but honestly there is little we can do. I will just find another use for the one I have. I do hope you the best of luck with yours

I was reading this post and saw the: "Since you are running pc 3200 you will have to set it to a 5:4 divider to get a decent overclock. I would suggest some faster memory, so you can run at 1:1." note. What do you suggest ? I recently bought a P4 "C" 2.8 and am using an Asus P4P800 mobo and am looking for some good RAM to update my Corsair DDR333 with.

Archived