Corsair Community

Module Failure

I have a pair of CMX512-3200C2PT modules purchased from Fry's that have worked fine for almost a year. I recently began having random errors and ran MemTest86 v1.51.

One stick consistently fails tests 3,4,6, and 7 at the same address regardless of FSB speed, CAS settings, single or dual channel mode, or slot.

I am and have been running the system listed in my profile.

Are there any further tests or steps I should take to request an RMA?

Thanks

-- Chris

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton). It is running at ~2170 MHz as the FSB is at 167 MHz with a multiplier of 13x. (cpu-z v.1.29)

There are two BIOS options that change the Mem Frequency and Timing:

Mem Frequecy = [Auto, SPD, User Defined]

Mem Timing = [Optimal, User Defined]

I run with Mem Frequency = Auto and Mem Timing = Optimal.

With Timing = Optimal, the timing values chosen are all SPD (depending on the frequency selected).

With Frequency = Auto, the memory frequency is 166 MHz (the same as FSB.) When Frequency = SPD, the memory frequency is 200 MHz (since the board is 400 MHz DDR capable.)

To be clear, the values chosen by the BIOS are as follows:

Mem Freq 166 MHz: 2-3-3-7

Mem Freq 200 MHz: 2.5-3-3-8

I tested both sticks with MemTest86 as stated above.

Thanks

-- Chris

P.S. My BIOS version is 1008 (8/4/2004)

• Corsair Employees

Chris,

With this CPU and platform you will need to set the memory Frequency at 100% or 1-1 with the CPU so it's running at DDR333. If you run the memory at DDR400 and CPU at 333 MHz it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and at the very least it will not perform well. But it may generate errors that are not from the memory.

Yes, I had done some reading and performance tests of my own before this and chosen to run the Memory Frequency synchronously with the FSB.

Testing with MemTest86 reports errors during the same tests at the same address when I set the Memory Frequency and FSB synchronously to 166 MHz as well as underclocking to 133 MHz. (The BIOS chooses the same Mem Timings for 133 MHz as for 166 MHz: (2-3-3-7).)

-- Chris

Archived