Corsair Community

A7N8X-E Deluxe & TWINX1024-3200C2 problems

zigadr

I just bought Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 (XMS3202v1.5) memory kit, because I only had 2x256MB memory before.

My processor is AthlonXP 2500+.

After I installed Corsair memory I started testing computer stability with prime95. When I set FSB/RAM to 166/200 and latency to 2-3-3-6, prime95 stopped after some minutes. Then I went to this forum and found out, that my memory supports latency 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD boards, so I changed that, but prime95 failed again. Then I read some more posts and found out, that there might be problems, if I ran asynchronous FSB/RAM, so I set it to 166/166, latency 2-3-3-7. It really worked for more than 2 hours when I stopped the test because I wanted to try something else.

I had dual Twinmos/Winbond 256MB PC3200 sticks before and I know it worked in asynchronous mode without problems. I also overclocked CPU to 200MHz -> 3200+ and it worked OK at 1,650V.

So I wanted to test it with new Corsair memory at 200/200 FSB/RAM, latency 2.5-3-3-8, if there was a problem with running this memory asynchornously. Again prime95 reported error after some minutes. Then I tryed sticks one by one in 200/200, 2.5-3-3-8, and in both cases prime95 reported error after about half an hour. After that I put in one stick of old Twinmos/Winbond RAM, all settings stayed the same and the test ran for about 2 hours when I stopped it.

I thought that maybe PSU can be the cause of problems because there were now two 512MB sticks instead of twho 256MB, which must use more power. So I tryed with another PSU and the problem with Corsair still occured.

Than I decided to try memory in another computer, so I put it in Intel based ShuttleX. I set latency to 2-3-3-6 @ 200MHz and prime95 ran for almost 2 hours without error, until I stopped it.

Now I really don't know where the problem is. Is it simple incompatibility? I guess I can return memory to the shop because I only bought it 3 days ago. What memory should I get than?

Thanks for your help.

I did and am doing some more testing today... prime95 runs for almost 5 hours now with FSB/RAM 200/166. I guess that asynchronous mode is not a problem. According to what I wrote before, I can sum up, that when RAM is set to 200MHz no matter if FSB is 166 or 200, the system is not stable.

Should I return this RAM and get a new one?

• Corsair Employees
You are comparing 256 Meg modules to 512 Meg modules and 512 Meg modules are double sided so there is more loading on the chipset. In other words they would not Over Clock as well with 2 512 Meg modules as it would with 2-256. I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and if you run the CPU at 200 Mhz you might try and increase the CPU Vcore a few tenths of a volts. And the modules should be in slots 2-3 as well. And you will want to run the memory at 100% so it's in sync with your CPU.

Archived