Corsair Community

Corsair Hydrocool problems

thecactusman17

I've had a Corsair Hydrocool unit for over a year. Lately, I've had some issues and I hope someone here can help.

A few months back, I started noticing occasional beeps from the unit and the display resetting. this was a short while after I had issues with my motherboard and replaced it with a new one of the same brand and model (ASUS P4C800 Deluxe).

The setup worked just fine except for an odd display problem where it would only display the temperature 54 degrees. This is definately not true, most temperature programs i run clearly show about twenty degrees higher (and when the display was working correctly, it backed those results up).

The second problem may or may not be related, I am not sure.

Lately, the hydrocool beebs constantly--short little beeps every few seconds accompanied by a speeding up of the fan into hyper mode and the display going screwy as though it's flickering on and off very fast several times then restarting and sometimes displaying all 8's.

As best i can tell, all connections in the Hydrocool itself appear to be solid, there is no moisture etc. The power supply is more than enough for the entire system and has never given me issues. The temperature is never above about ninety degrees, even when the system is overclocked and stressed with games and other software (as according to my temperature programs). Also, the water resevoir is full.

Does this sound solvable, or will I need to look for a replacement?

Thank you for your time.

had same symtoms with HCX, seems to me that the micro-controlier chip is getting a bad connection in the socket i thought, after soldering it, still did intermittant wackey #'s an occasinale beep, not as often like before but noticed it was ambiant related over 25c starts to act odd, wonder is same firmware version 1.02b

doing its routine check of segments all at once in 1sec with a short beep with 1 sec of turbo, works norm

when over 25c does 1 by 1 right to left an back left to right, checks segments may flash or be dim with PWM pulsing the fan

had same symtoms with HCX, seems to me that the micro-controlier chip is getting a bad connection in the socket i thought, after soldering it, still did intermittant wackey #'s an occasinale beep, not as often like before but noticed it was ambiant related over 25c starts to act odd, wonder is same firmware version 1.02b

doing its routine check of segments all at once in 1sec with a short beep with 1 sec of turbo, works norm

when over 25c does 1 by 1 right to left an back left to right, checks segments may flash or be dim with PWM pulsing the fan

Actually, I'm using the original Hydrocool 200, not the new one.

Second, I am sorry to say that I'm not entirely sure what you are telling me to do.

There is no ability to change (or as best I can tell, even determine what) the current firmware version is on my HC200 unit. So if there is a problem there, I'm afraid that I just don't know how to fix it. Is it possible to change it? If so, how?

thecactusman17,

You need to do some yearly maintenance on the HC original series.

First you will need to purge the coolant and replace with new coolant.

There is a forum thread here that deals with flushing the HC.

Next, you'll need to take the cover off and vacuum out those bunnies that collect dust on the fan and HX (rad). The dust bunnies reduce flow and cause the temps to rise over time.

Another item, did you add any hardware to the computer that draws power from the PSU? If so, then the PSU needs to be a higher rated unit to run everything. Most PSU's that are 400W or more with run the computer and HC.

Peace!

Stev

thecactusman17,

You need to do some yearly maintenance on the HC original series.

First you will need to purge the coolant and replace with new coolant.

There is a forum thread here that deals with flushing the HC.

Next, you'll need to take the cover off and vacuum out those bunnies that collect dust on the fan and HX (rad). The dust bunnies reduce flow and cause the temps to rise over time.

Another item, did you add any hardware to the computer that draws power from the PSU? If so, then the PSU needs to be a higher rated unit to run everything. Most PSU's that are 400W or more with run the computer and HC.

Peace!

Stev

Thanks, it looks like all I need to do then is flush the system (I clean out the dust about every six months or so).

As it is, I'm using a 500 watt power supply, so I doubt that there is any major issues there, especially since my computer power needs have increased only marginally since I originally got the HC unit.

Archived