Corsair Community

VOYAGER a1600 - AMD Video Driver Installation

• Corsair Employee

Hi all,

We've received plenty of questions regarding AMD video drivers for our VOYAGER a1600 laptop and just wanted to provide some guidance/context.

• It is not recommended to download the AMD driver that is found on AMD’s website. AMD Advantage laptops such as your CORSAIR VOYAGER require a unique driver specifically designed for your laptop. This driver is designed for your laptop to make sure everything is working in unison and at peak performance.
  • AMD drivers should only be downloaded from the CORSAIR website or via Windows Update. The latest driver will be available on the CORSAIR website before they are available via Windows Update.
  • Installing the driver from the AMD website may introduce system instability along with potential performance impacts/issues.
    • If you have installed the driver from the AMD website, it is recommended that you uninstall this driver ASAP.
    • To uninstall the AMD drivers, navigate to the Windows search bar and lookup “Add or Remove Program” within Windows, as this is the recommended method for uninstallation.

a1600.thumb.png.2d6117bc7e353c8a92078186c338a974.png

• Locate “AMD Software” and click on the vertical “…”, where you’ll be prompted with the “Uninstall” option. You do not have to do anything with “AMD Chipset Software”. At the end of the uninstallation process, please restart your VOYAGER to fully complete the uninstallation.

a16002.thumb.png.be9d1f82484f2d9fb7e64dc1d8622a8b.png

• After restarting your VOYAGER, please navigate to “corsair.com/downloads”, where you’ll be able to download & install the latest AMD drivers.

a16003.thumb.png.e8bb55814ca2a178c5c639f972223b0f.png

• Like 1

That driver is from last year. Are you validating a new driver? 

And seriously, you guys need to either set up things where we can just update from AMD. 

OR, you can send out quarterly updates on Video drivers. 

Because right now? If I try to update to the newest drivers, I can no longer control brightness on my monitor, and it's stuck at 60hz. 

I just bought this laptop. You answer will help me decide whether or not to return it. 

A streaming laptop with outdated video drivers is not a good look. 😗

Edited by TherinWhitten
Spelling

Hey Albert,

thank you for the installation instructions.

Is there any plan to release a newer version than 22.20.42.04?

Also at the moment the new website's download page only has version 21.40.56.02 available, as well as no BIOS update or any time stamp for checking "newly released" drivers. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, klehriker said:

Hey Albert,

Also at the moment the new website's download page only has version 21.40.56.02 available, as well as no BIOS update or any time stamp for checking "newly released" drivers. 

Yeah I noticed that as well. It changed just today. I was on the phone with support and pushed a ticket to get to the bottom of this. 

The bios was removed (1.35) So maybe they are working on updating everything soon. If I get an update to my email. I will post here for sure! I want to keep this bad boy. I really like the build and overall setup. 

• Corsair Employee
On 5/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, TherinWhitten said:

That driver is from last year. Are you validating a new driver? 

And seriously, you guys need to either set up things where we can just update from AMD. 

OR, you can send out quarterly updates on Video drivers. 

Because right now? If I try to update to the newest drivers, I can no longer control brightness on my monitor, and it's stuck at 60hz. 

I just bought this laptop. You answer will help me decide whether or not to return it. 

A streaming laptop with outdated video drivers is not a good look. 😗

We validate and publish new drivers as soon as we can. I suggest performing a clean install of the latest GPU drivers here. Please excuse version 21.xx from our website, as the website is currently in transition.

If that does not work, a BIOS update to version 1.38 here may help.

23 hours ago, klehriker said:

Hey Albert,

The response above should address your questions as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Corsair Albert said:

We validate and publish new drivers as soon as we can. I suggest performing a clean install of the latest GPU drivers here. Please excuse version 21.xx from our website, as the website is currently in transition.

Oh. That bios might help!

So cool news. I updated to latest AMD Chipset for the Processor (amd_chipset_software_5.02.19.2221) , and 23.3.2.0 for the AMD drivers. 

I am happy to report Brightness works and Video card performance works as expected. 

Smartshift (Shifting from iGPU to DGPU) and the other (Shifting power dynamically inside the power envelope of the Power Settings) seems to be working properly. 

External monitor works and brightness can be adjusted on both the external display and the laptop's internal display. However, the Laptop display is stuck at 60HZ.

I heard that might have been tied to the bios. I will try this bios and report back. 

1. Paused windows update in settings.

2. Suspended Protection for the C Drive bitlocker.

3. Shift and Rest to go to safe mode.

4. Used DDU to clear everything AMD.

5. Installed new chipset, rebooted. 

6. Installed 23.3.2 after Reboot. 

7. Rebooted Again. 

Tested. 

Edited by TherinWhitten
Added some details.

27 minutes ago, Corsair Albert said:

Just wanted to report back Bios 1.38 didn't break anything. (What did you guys change? )  On the newer graphics software I stated its still stuck at 60hz on the Internal display. 

However, temps seem a bit better adn system overall is snappier. 

Windows is simply only seeing the internal display as a generic PNP monitor. Unlike the drivers you guys are working on. 

I will check out the drivers you are linking and report back. 

I can tell you though, Cyberpunk works on 23.3.2.0. 

The older driver, it simply crashed. 

So I would recommend maybe a monitor driver? For the Internal display?

I appreciate you Albert. 🙏

Edited by TherinWhitten

I am very interested in this laptop, and almost pulling trigger on it. But seeing posts like this: "

Bios 1.35 didnt fix any of the bugs i was experaincing. Infact, it just seemed to make it worse. 

Any links to 1.30 ?

This is the most expensive laptop i have ever purchased,m by a long way.. I usually spend about £1,400 (HALF the price of this one).. and i usually expect everything to work...

Tech support is a joke.. the solution to the thing not booting if power-off with bettery, then power on with AC connected... is to remove the bios battery... which is not easy to get to!

First and last Corsair product i will ever buy." makes me very worried. Can Albert comment on this? Is there really problems like this and has it been fixed? These things should get fixed asap!

Whelp, that is the 15th time the drivers messed up. 

I am done.  I am returning Monday. 

Albert. You seem to be a good person. 

But this software support is completely and utterly unacceptable. 

Tell your higher ups to have a team ONLY for drivers for this laptop until its RIGHT.  Its the least you can do for your customers. That is my advice. 

• Corsair Employee
On 5/19/2023 at 10:06 AM, Makemayn said:

I am very interested in this laptop, and almost pulling trigger on it. But seeing posts like this: "

Bios 1.35 didnt fix any of the bugs i was experaincing. Infact, it just seemed to make it worse. 

Any links to 1.30 ?

This is the most expensive laptop i have ever purchased,m by a long way.. I usually spend about £1,400 (HALF the price of this one).. and i usually expect everything to work...

Tech support is a joke.. the solution to the thing not booting if power-off with bettery, then power on with AC connected... is to remove the bios battery... which is not easy to get to!

First and last Corsair product i will ever buy." makes me very worried. Can Albert comment on this? Is there really problems like this and has it been fixed? These things should get fixed asap!

I'm unsure what bugs your reference post is referring to, but I've provided a link to a newer BIOS version above.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:47 AM, TherinWhitten said:

Whelp, that is the 15th time the drivers messed up. 

I am done.  I am returning Monday. 

Albert. You seem to be a good person. 

But this software support is completely and utterly unacceptable. 

Tell your higher ups to have a team ONLY for drivers for this laptop until its RIGHT.  Its the least you can do for your customers. That is my advice. 

We have not released drivers 23.3.2.0 for the VOYAGER yet. Are your issues still occurring with our 22.20.42.04 drivers?

• Sad 1

The AMD driver situation is not good. 

To answer your question. Windows keeps trying to override the 6 month old drivers, even with group policy blocking it. 

I finally got lucky once. Installed 22.20.42.04 from Corsair. Windows 'updated' it. I was able to roll back this time in device manager (which blocks that specific driver from being downloaded and updated again.  AMD Problem.)   

However, Cyberpunk 2077 simply crashes on your guy's driver. Wont' even load the game at all. There were updates to AMD drivers to support the new changes in Cyberpunk that are not in the current ones. 

So, for now? I can't play Cyberpunk. 

Question : 

Are you guys validating a new driver? And which one? 

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm months of issues with the 22.20.42.04 drivers. Most current releases give me a warning to even launch and then they either crash upon boot up or run so poorly they are unplayable. For example both Diablo IV and World of Warcraft Dragonflight are frustratingly bad on the a1600 and I am running them both great on a 5 year old desktop in 4k (2080ti). Any update on this? The laptop is up to date with all files available on Corsair's downloads page and I've already done plenty of system restores.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elitefox said:

I can confirm months of issues with the 22.20.42.04 drivers. Most current releases give me a warning to even launch and then they either crash upon boot up or run so poorly they are unplayable. For example both Diablo IV and World of Warcraft Dragonflight are frustratingly bad on the a1600 and I am running them both great on a 5 year old desktop in 4k (2080ti). Any update on this? The laptop is up to date with all files available on Corsair's downloads page and I've already done plenty of system restores.

As of right now no. If you use ONLY the DGPU (Hybrid turned off in Bios) you can update to latest drivers without a problem, and there will be no errors. The 6800M sees the laptop display just fine. 

At the very least you will have full playability, as the drivers for the 6800m are great across the board, at least from my experience. 

I think they are having serious issues with the IGPU seeing the internal display. You might have hybrid work on the newest drivers at first, but at 60hz. I have seen multiple times though that on hybrid mode, the laptop display eventually goes black and doesn't come back until you change to DGPU mode, or you reinstall the old drivers. 

It's a great laptop in terms of hardware and features. I won't deny that. I loved it. For how light the laptop is, its incredible the performance you can get. And it doesn't flinch when multitasking serious work. 

At the very least, you won't have the issues. PUSH CORSAIR UNTIL THEY GET THE UPDATED DRIVERS. 

They owe that to everyone. 

Edited by TherinWhitten
Added Info

Throwing in a few more problems I've noticed that I imagine are BIOS related.

First, I've noticed consistent issues with sleep. My voyager often crashes during sleep. When it does wake up from sleep the battery is often completely drained or if not, several applications get into a strange frozen state. Specifically, explorer.exe seems to not properly respond to a wake from sleep. The entire taskbar freezes (pressing the start button will not open the start menu). Additionally, Chrome and Discord also appear to freeze (Chrome stops accepting any input, it won't respond to a window resize or anything) which may be a downstream issue from explorer.exe freezing. In order to un-freeze everything I have to open task manager (using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC as taskbar is frozen) and restart explorer.exe along with Chrome & Discord. This issue isn't limited to wake from sleep either, often these applications will freeze during normal use.

I've also had similar issues to what others have described where the laptop has to be unplugged before being put to sleep / woken up.

I'm on BIOS 1.38 and AMD chipset drivers 5.05.16.529. 

This video from LTT seems applicable here and maybe will help you guys pin down this issue. After digging a bit, it does seem like the Voyager firmware only implements S0 sleep. Unfortunately this does appear to be a Microsoft issue that has not been fixed yet (as far as the battery drain issue goes), but potentially the addition of S3 sleep could fix some of these issues. It does seem like there might be some other issue with S0/wake from sleep that causes applications to freeze instead of waking up though.

Let me know of any ways I can help, I'm a firmware engineer and more than willing to help on any open source bits I can, although I do understand most of the firmware is closed source. 

As others have said, the hardware on the Voyager is a hit out of the park. The keyboard is better than anything I've ever used on a laptop before and the build is premium. Ironing out the software issues would make this thing a near ideal machine for me and hopefully others. Thanks!

Edited by delivery

So i paid 100 dollars to play diablo 4 four days before the mass can play it and corsair says, no hehehe, you can't even play it right now?

Thanks, appreciate it..

as compensation for this you (corsair) could send me a bag of replacement fans for the voyager .. x)

had to tear down the wattage from 155 watt to 90 watt in bios, so that i can play diablo 4 on the newest amd driver without hitting 95 degree on the cpu and 105 on the gpu hotspot.

• Sad 1

So I've just got this laptop, and after updating drivers from AMD (after some struggle getting the AMD Adrenalin software to appear) it finally worked, though my monitor was stuck at 60Hz.

...then I find this thread basically saying don't do it. Not that I had any real warning beforehand about this. What kind of system in this day and age would have special proprietary drivers that are so far out of date that basically anything within the last half a year is unplayable? Not to mention a total lack of the Adrenalin software on first boot, my last NVIDIA laptop had no issue running GeForce Experience.

So I'm now resetting Windows and will manually install all the Voyager drivers. Assuming Windows update doesn't get there first and screw things up, not quite sure what I'm supposed to do about that.

This is NOT a great first experience, either of a Corsair laptop or an all-AMD laptop.

I also had some troubles with the Corsair apps installed. iCue didn't update automatically, so when StreamDeck updated, it broke itself until iCue was resolved without making any indication why StreamDeck wasn't working. The Corsair Diagnostic app links to a customer support page that doesn't exist, and trying to update that app demands I download .net core 3.1, but then after I do that the app does nothing, and restarting the app and reinitiating the update still complains about no .net core 3.1... I've also noticed the display on the stream bar completely glitch out and start flipping at random, or the touch buttons stop working at random intervals.

3 minutes ago, gaggle said:

I also had some troubles with the Corsair apps installed. iCue didn't update automatically, so when StreamDeck updated, it broke itself until iCue was resolved without making any indication why StreamDeck wasn't working. The Corsair Diagnostic app links to a customer support page that doesn't exist, and trying to update that app demands I download .net core 3.1, but then after I do that the app does nothing, and restarting the app and reinitiating the update still complains about no .net core 3.1... I've also noticed the display on the stream bar completely glitch out and start flipping at random, or the touch buttons stop working at random intervals.

Does the iCUE app notify new update when you open it?

The support page I believe has been changed so you can not find it

Make sure you're running Corsair AMD GPU Drivers instead of the official driver from AMD

Edited by John Hoang

4 minutes ago, John Hoang said:

Does the iCUE app notify new update when you open it?

The support page I believe has been changed so you can not find it

Make sure you're running Corsair AMD GPU Drivers instead of the official driver from AMD

Yeah see that last line I already mentioned in my first post and that was damn annoying to find out. First laptop I've ever owned that outright REQUIRES the custom driver. It's a useless fix for anyone who wants to play games released this year.

Edited by gaggle

2 minutes ago, gaggle said:

Yeah see that last line I already mentioned in my first post and that was damn annoying to find out. First laptop I've ever owned that outright REQUIRES the custom driver. It's a useless fix for anyone who wants to play games released this year.

I feel the same. Let's see if they can improve