Corsair Community

Vengeance i7400 shutting itself off randomly

Go to solution Solved by JMS1980,

So I just filed a support ticket but wondering if maybe anyone in the community might have some insight, while I wait for a response.

I got a VENGEANCE i7400, i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 2TB M.2, 64GB DDR5-5600, last month. When the pc first arrived it wouldn't boot to Windows, but I worked with a great support agent to fix that and get up and running, and it's been great until yesterday, when my monitor started randomly losing HDMI signal. This happened two or three times, and the signal came back quickly. Then the monitor lost HDMI signal again, and this time the whole computer shut itself down. I powered the computer back on, and the same thing happened again about a half hour later. A day or two prior to this, I noticed screen tearing on some games and realized my display refresh rate was still set to 60hz. So I kicked it up to my monitor's maximum of 240hz. After the HDMI signal loss /shutdown issue, I turned off my monitor and computer and tried DisplayPort instead of HDMI.

I booted up my PC and it went into a loop where it stopped and restarted several times, and then eventually, after 5 or 6 cycles of this, it popped up with a message saying 'There is no VBIOS support detected in this card.' It goes on to say that it needs to switch into UEFI mode, and gives me the option of waiting 3 seconds or pressing a button to enter the BIOS manually. I wait, and it seems to do what it needs to do, and Windows comes back up. I did some searching, and the ZOTAC 4090 graphics card this PC shipped with did seem to have some kind of issue with this, so I downloaded their latest bios update which claims to address the following: "UEFI bug (no display on system power on)" But then I tried to install it and it says that I already have that update installed! Ugh. So I figured out that I can get past the VBIOS boot loop problem as long as my monitor is powered on when the PC is turned on. If I turn on the PC first then the monitor, I get the VBIOS eror. However, even without the VBIOS boot problem, my computer is still turning itself off randomly. Not sure if the two issues are related. I ran my computer most of the day today at a 144hz refresh rate, but it has shut down on me twice in the past hour. Just like yesterday, my PC worked fine most of the day, but after about 10 hours or so started shutting down. I have taken the refresh rate back down to 60hz in the hope that this will stop the computer from shutting off, but of course this leaves me with screen tearing in games, and I'm not even sure the refresh rate is the problem. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, Windows is up to date. I'm at a loss! Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I saw a few people on reddit posting about the same issue about a month ago, one guy with my same system said, "I've had the same issue with my new Vengeance i7400 ( i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 2TB M.2, 64GB DDR5-5600) randomly shutting off/restarting. It's been very frustrating trying to troubleshoot it. I've disabled automatic restart, disabled fast startup, updated my NVIDIA driver, changed Windows update settings to no avail. I uninstalled iCue today and instead of randomly restarting it is now freezing and requires the computer to be unplugged to restart it." Yikes!

I'll update this post when I hear back from support.

• Solution

EDIT: Going down to 60hz seemed to stop the cycle of crashes every 20 minutes or so. Could this be some kind of a power draw issue? Checked my connections, surge protector was a little loose from the wall. Made sure everything is plugged in tight. Gonna try plugging the monitor into a different socket and running it at 240hz. If this works I'm gonna feel like an idiot. Still worried about this VBIOS stuff though, and worried that other users have experienced similar issues...still grateful for any thoughts y'all may have.