Corsair Community

RAM clips touch adjacent memory module

kukka

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9 motherboard and 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT memory, which is listed as being compatible on Corsair's web site. The memory slots on the motherboard are very close together, and when I insert the DIMMs, the clips on the heat spreader touch the adjacent module. Is this OK or will it short something out?

If I remove the clips, then the modules don't touch, but I read that this is not a good idea because the clips are necessary for good contact between the heat spreaders and memory chips and to keep the heat spreaders from accidentally falling off.

So is it OK for the modules to touch or will this short something out?

If the Heat Spreader is attached securely then you could remove the clips if you wanted to.

There is no danger of shorting out if the external parts of the module are touching.

The clips are just an added feature to make sure the HS stays on.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable.

BTW: This is not an official Corsair response, although I'm pretty sure you'd

be ok and not void the warranty.

Don't think you're supposed to remove the clips.

I don't think so either, but after reading the post I had to see for myself.. :roll:

The HS's are bonded to the IC's and it would take some effort to remove them.

If one did fall off, I'd be more worried of hit hitting something else inside the

case (fan,whatever) and causing a problem.

I've seen people having problems with the Expert Modules but not with the XMS.

If the Heat Spreader is attached securely then you could remove the clips if you wanted to. There is no danger of shorting out if the external parts of the module are touching. The clips are just an added feature to make sure the HS stays on.

The heat spreaders seem to be firmly attached, but I'd read elsewhere on this forum that Corsair only bonds the heat spreaders to the ICs on the Pro series memory. I don't know if that's true or not.

Does it matter which way the clips are attached? If I reverse one of them, then only the hook parts of the clips will touch the adjacent module instead of the longer horizontal part. Given the tight spacing of the DIMM sockets, I'm concerned about overheating of the memory. I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't have been better off buying memory without heat spreaders.

Still hoping the RAM Guy will jump in here with an official response.

The HS's are bonded to the IC's and it would take some effort to remove them.

kukka is correct, the heat spreaders are ONLY thermally bonded in the PRO and XPERT modules. DO NOT remove the clips as they are part of the design specification and removing them may very well void your warranty.

Having them GENTLY touch on the outside is perfectly fine, if they warp the modules outwards, that's a problem.

I wouldn't worry about them overheating if you have some form of airflow through your case, they can get quite warm without too much of a worry.

HOWEVER, I have to ask, if you only have two modules, why are they sitting right next to each other? I think they should be in the first slots of the two different colored pairs for proper dual-channel configuration. Look into this in your manual!

PLUR

CK

HOWEVER, I have to ask, if you only have two modules, why are they sitting right next to each other? I think they should be in the first slots of the two different colored pairs for proper dual-channel configuration. Look into this in your manual!

Not according to the User Manual for the GA-K8N Ultra 9. There are four DIMM slots on the motherboard. The first two slots (DDR1, DDR2) are purple and the next two slots (DDR3, DDR4) are red. According to the manual:

Channel A: DDR1, DDR3

Channel B: DDR2, DDR4

"If two DDR memory modules are installed, one must be added to a Channel A slot and the other in a Channel B slot in order to use dual channel memory. You can simply install the memory modules into slots of the same color but we recommend slotting them into DDR1 and DDR2."

DDR1 and DDR2 are right next to each other.

Well, the consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter if the clips touch. But since there have been comments about possible warranty issues, I was hoping for an official response from the RAM Guy. Do I need to post a separate message directly to him? Or is the response from CandyKid who is listed as a Moderator considered an official one?

Does it matter which way the clips are attached? If I reverse one of them, then only the hook parts of the clips will touch the adjacent module instead of the longer horizontal part.

Any comments on the above?

Well, the consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter if the clips touch. But since there have been comments about possible warranty issues, I was hoping for an official response from the RAM Guy. Do I need to post a separate message directly to him? Or is the response from CandyKid who is listed as a Moderator considered an official one?

Ram Guy's the only Official Corsair Rep here.

CK, myself, and the rest of the HOUSE OF HELP staff don't work for Corsair.

There should not be any problem with them touching. And I would leave the clips on and just stagger the clips so they dont push to hard on the modules.

Actually, that is exactly what I did! But nice to have it confirmed.

I'll probably have a question about RAM timings when I power up this rig, but I've got a couple more things to sort out first.

Archived