Corsair Community

Abit AN7Sv2: Add 1- 512 or 2- 256?

yogi

Just put together a system with an ABIT AN7S v2, an AMD XPM 2600 and a 3 year old stick of CMX5123200C2 (XMS 3202 v1.1 #023721). I would like to add another 512 to bring it up to 1 gig so that I can run dual channel. I eventually want to do some video editing.

According to the "Memory Configurator" the TwinX 1024 is the recommended setup for this board. However, I read in another AMD MB forum that the NForce 2 Ultra has "issues" with 2 X 512 in dual channel, and to use 256 + 256 + 512. This goes against all that I have read here (for single channel) that 2 sticks are better, timing wise, than 3.

Will 2 X 512 be OK? Will the current CMX5123200C2 "play nice" with my 3 year old stick?

If the 2 X 256 are added to the same channel (slots 1 & 2) do they still need to be a "matched pair" or will all 256s of the same model work OK?

Yogi

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest you find another use for the module you have now and just get 1-Twinx1024-3200XL set of modules for best performance. Other wise you would need to find an exact match for the modules you have now in both part# and revision.

OK. That sounds better.

But how about this: Say I buy another stick of XMS 512 MB so I have 2 sticks, but they are incompatible. Can I then RMA both sticks for a compatible pair in return?

I'm sorry to be such a PITA, but as you can see, it is really important to me to get up to 1 GB in the most efficient and effective way.

Melissa D. sent an e-mail confirming that the trade could be worked out. I'm going to Newegg to get another stick and send in the RMA form.

It's great doing business with Corsair!

Yogi

Archived