Corsair Community

Abit BF6 & new Corsair module trouble.

Steve N

I wanted to extend the life of my Abit BE6(latest bios beh70) by giving it all of the 768 MB of ram it can support. Corsair was recommended to me so i went to Corsair website where i found the memory guide wich recommends you the best Corsair memory for your own hardware.

I used that tool and it came up with the VS256MB133A SDRAM module as the best Corsair memory for my Abit BF6.

Picked up a website and ordered 3 sticks of the VS256MB133A. They arrived yesterday, in good shape. Put them in and they seem to work fine, except for ONE BIG PROBLEM..., Bios and OS(WinXP) only see HALF of the memory.

I currently have a stick of 256MB and dont have that probleme with it.

Any idea to solve that issue ? Thank's for reading.

• Corsair Employee
Yes, that is correct, this MB will not see 512 Meg modules and the part# VS256MB133A would be a single sided 256 Meg. You would need the same part# as what you have now but with no "A" in the part#. Like VS256MB133. Sorry!

Yes, that is correct, this MB will not 512 Meg modules and the part# VS256MB133A would be a single sided 256 Meg. You would need the same part# as what you have now but with no "A" in the part#. Like VS256MB133. Sorry!

RAM Guy, thank you for being sorry. I appreciate.

But the fact is that i bought those sticks on recommendation from Corsair's own Memory Guide. Since neither the BF6 manual nor Corsair's Memory Guide advise the half detection issue, i feel i have been mislead and therefore, will not keep these memory sticks.

I feel Corsair has the responsability here for advising a memory model that doesn't entirely fit the motherboard.

Also, the website i ordered from has a clear policy about non-defective products... they don't take them back.

So where do we go from now RAM Guy ?

Corsair should take the 3 memory sticks back and either refund or replace by 3 modules that fits my mobo with these specs:

- 3 sticks of 256MB pc-133 sdram that are entirely detected by my mobo.

(guess that means double sided modules).

Any of the two options would bring a satisfactory end to the situation.

• Corsair Employee
Well the configurator assumes that you as the system builder know the limitations of your system. However, this is common and used to happen quite a lot because most people do not understand memory that well, even MB makers. But I would try the reseller first as they will not run in your system right? If they refuse to help you then please contact our customer service (888-222-4346) and I am sure they will do their best to help you get this resolved. I will also have the memory configurator checked and get it brought up to date if needed.

Archived