Corsair Community

System will not post!

Hello RAM GUY!

Thanks for a quick response!

Here are the specs for RAM/Motherboard.

RAM# CM74SD1024R-2100\S

Motherboard Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N-4M BIOS V4.06

CPU (2) AMD Athlon MP 2800+ Barton 266MHz FSB.

Tiger MP/MPX BIOS does not have (Configure SDRAM Option)

It is done automatically. And no changes can be made in the BIOS.

The only thing you can set is FSB. 100 or 133 via jumpers

System is set to Default setting FSB 133. My system was working fine with this RAM until it crashed and failed to POST. This morning I test it again using different Memory Slot (2) System failed to post and Produced Memory Error beep.

Also to be absolutely sure I installed this module in my Second Workstation (Tyan Tiger MP S2460) and it failed to post as well.

Pleas provide me with all the necessary RMA information.

Thanks!

Hello

Today I have recived my replacement memory Part# CM74SD1024RLP-2100

It works perfectly so far. System booted normally and no crashes at this time.

Thank you for the GOOD service! :D: :D: :D:

Can you pleas tell me, what is the difference between CM74SD1024RLP-2100 and CM72SD512RLP-2100? (I know that they are different in terms of capacity)

Also can I use them together in my Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N-4M BIOS V4.06

• Corsair Employees
You cannot use these modules at the same time with this platform. The difference is CM74 moduled are made with By 4 IC's and CM72 modules are made with By 8 IC's. The MB you have will support either type of memory but not at the same time.

OK.

Can you please be more specific on WHY? Such as: stability random crashes?

Or just won’t work at all.

The reason why I'm asking is because http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145306

has a good price on that particular RAM.

My system is getting old and I really don't want to spent too much $ on it. $65 for 512MB Ram stick is not bad at all and should give my system a slight boost.

Tiger MPX does not have dual channel capability. I was under impression that mixing RAM on older single channel Motherboards was not a problem.

Thanks you!

Can you please be more specific on WHY? Such as: stability random crashes? Or just won’t work at all.
You cannot use these modules at the same time with this platform. The difference is CM74 moduled are made with By 4 IC's and CM72 modules are made with By 8 IC's. The MB you have will support either type of memory but not at the same time.
That's why.

I was under impression that mixing RAM on older single channel Motherboards was not a problem.
Not always.

• 3 months later...

Hello RAM Guy.

Today I was working on the very important project when my system rebooted and failed to POST.

I'm not sure what is going on with Corsair RAM, but this is getting very frustrating considering that the RAM is only 4 months old.

I inspected the motherboard (Tiger MPX S2466) for any defective Capacitors, however none were found.

Part# CM74SD1024RLP-2100

Thank you.

Hello.

Thank you for a quick response.

How can I test it with the memtest if it will not Boot/Post.

My system crashed, rebooted and failed to POST when I was working on the 3d Project.

This is a second stick that failed. I have used many brands of RAM before and none of them have failed so quickly on me before. As stated in my previous post I only use HIGH quality components when I build my system (PSU included).

Tiger MPX is a solid board, build from high quality parts.

Hope to here from you soon.

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees

That may suggest a MB problem, but I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RAM GUY!

I’m just letting you know that I have received the Replacement RAM on Friday October 14th. I have installed the RAM and the system booted normally! :p: :p:

I did perform memtest86+ all night and ZERO errors where found. System is rock solid and functioning properly. I have also inspected the PSU for any sighs of failure. (OK):D: :D: :D:

Thank you.

Archived