Corsair Community

2GB, Two Different TwinX Sets

Scalptrash

Hey Ram Guy,

I just purchased the TwinX1024-3200XL to add to my existing TwinX1024-3200LLPT (which was one of your first TwinX kits about 2-3 years ago).

When I bought the LLPT, it was rated at 2-2-2-5 and I know that has since changed. I have been running without any issues on an Abit IC7-G with the BIOS set to 'Timings by SPD' and also set to F1 for Game Accelerator.

After installing the new XL kit, it no longer boots unless I switch it to AUTO for the memory performance. The current voltage is 2.6 and timings set by SPD which do display 2-2-2-5.

Wondering if the voltage is too low for the XL (read it is rated at 2.75 somewhere) or if I should manually set the timings? I would like to get back to F1 (or at least Turbo or Street Racer, which neither work right now) and I believe both kits are capable of that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Are you running the LL's and the XL's together @ 2-2-2-5 timings?

If both sets are working together at these timings, I would'nt sweat it.

This is a good thing.

Auto and SPD are basically the same thing if the result is the same.

As far as voltage goes, 2.9 volts is the Corsair warranty.

I'm not specifying the timings, the BIOS is. It's showing 2-2-2-5, but those numbers are grayed out. My PC boots fine and I can use IE, but when I try to play BF2, the map loads and then I crash to desktop, or the PC reboots (no good!). I am assuming it is memory related, since the demo worked fine before and that's the only thing that changed.

I really need to know what the voltage should be set at? Also, if I need to do the timings manually and relax them?

EDIT: Just switched the voltage to 2.7 and I noticed the timings are now 2.5-2-2-6, we'll see!

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest aggressive timings with 4 modules nor would I suggest mixing memory. If you still have problems I would set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well.

I would not suggest aggressive timings with 4 modules nor would I ssuggest mixing memory. If you still have problems I would set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well.

The timings are being set by motherboard (By SPD) and they are currently 2.5-2-2-6. I upped the voltage to 2.7 last night and that seems to have resolved the main issues.

I am aware that both sets should be identical for best performance and stability, but the TwinX set I bought 2 years ago (LLPT) was expensive and I don't believe they make it anymore. At least not the identical RAM. I purchased the new TwinX set based on the rated timings of 2-2-2-5, which matched the LLPT that I already had. I thought it was the closest to what I had and can't afford to buy two new matching sets.

Going to try 2.8 for a little bit, I still have one application giving me errors that didn't used to. If need be, I will then relax the timings.

Thanks again!

• Corsair Employees
We can only guarantee one set of modules at the tested setting because of chipset loading, so I would suggest you set the timings I gave and set the Voltage to 2.7 Volts with this MB. As I remember there was some issue with the MB that had to have a voltage MOD to run 2.8 Volts stable. Not to mention the bios may have some issues with the Miss matched modules so it should be set manually. Again I would not suggest this, but you are welcome to try it.

Archived