Corsair Community

Dell PowerEdge 400SC VS1GBKit

JohnS

This ram is not working when installed along side O C Z ram of exactly the same specs. I get the beep code for 'no memory installed'

1-3-2 No memory installed

From the dell SC400. The O C Z ram is exactly the same specs, 2x512, 400mhz, ddr, non registered, non-ecc and is in the first bank (paired)

Installing the VS memory in the second banks causes the above non-boot. Will try just VS memory and VS memory in first bank O C Z memory in second bank, but unless both work togeather it's pretty much worthless - I already have 1GB ram, having a *different* 1GB ram does me no good at all.

O C Z memory specs: O C Z Premier Value 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Cas Latency 3

Timing 3-4-4-8

Edit: Works alone w/o O C Z memory (just 2 sticks of the VS Memory - total 1GB), does not work in combination with O C Z (2 other 512mb sticks) in either bank. In other words I can have 1GB O C Z ram, or 1GB VS ram, but not 2 GB ram. It's not going to work for me :(

Guess I bought some expensive strips of plastic.

• Corsair Employees
That is correct, you should not use memory that is not matched with this platform. And VSXXXMB400 would be Cass 2.5-3-3-8 and VSXXXMB400C3 would be Cass 3-3-3-8. So they are not the same spec.

That is correct, you should not use memory that is not matched with this platform. And VSXXXMB400 would be Cass 2.5-3-3-8 and VSXXXMB400C3 would be Cass 3-3-3-8. So they are not the same spec.

Yeah - figured that out - sending back the Corsair sticks. Do you have a cas 3-3-3-8 product? I would have thought that the faster sticks would just have run slower... sigh.

• Corsair Employees
I would replace the memory you have now with VS1GBKit400 for better performance or for best performance with 2.0 Gig Twinx2048-3200C2. Other wise you would need to match the modules you have now.

I would replace the memory you have now with VS1GBKit400 for better performance or for best performance with 2.0 Gig Twinx2048-3200C2. Other wise you would need to match the modules you have now.

Yep, getting another gig matching what I have now, can't afford to throw away a gig of ram. Found a source for another matching pair, thanks for the help - I had no idea faster cl times would be a problem, I assumed they would just fallback to the slower of the sets of memory. Ah well, just lost shipping costs :D

Archived