Corsair Community

Slow 2gig Voyager

psonoda

Hi,

I have a two gig and a one gig voyager. The two gig voyager seem to be running slow. It also seems to get slower as I fill the drive. It takes about 2.5 minutes to copy 125megs (2200 files) the first time. The second time I copy the folder after renaming the first about 5.0 minutes and 10+ minutes for the third copy. I am copying it to the secured part of the voyager using the utillity.

The 1 gig voyager seems to take about 1.5 minutes for the same folder to the secured part of the drive. It stays pretty consistent no matter how many copies I move over.

I tried reformating the 2gig drive with different sizes of secured and unsecured partitions with little to no change in results.

This is running on a nearly new 1.8 pentum M thinkpad a T42 with XP Pro SP 2.

Even at 1.5 minutes on the 1 gig seems pretty slow. With 125 megs at 13megs per second it should take 10 seconds or so maybe 20-30 with the overhead of Windows.

Any Ideas?

by the way I tried copying the folder from the C drive back to the C drive. About 10 seconds.

I have nothing else plugged into the USB ports.

Thanks for the help

Paul

• Corsair Employee

Paul,

Please check that the USB ports are USB 2.0 as many notebook USB ports are not. But I have no problem replacing the drive for you if you like.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Yes,

I checked my laptop drivers and no bangs on any usb or usb 2 drivers. I even disabled the usb 2 drivers temporarily as a test and it gave me warnings that my device was not connected at the highest possible speed. I did a test and it was about half the speed as when the usb 2 drivers are enabled.

Thanks,

Paul

Also,

When I get to work I will try it on my desktop with 2K.

Thanks,

Paul

Wow, Interesting,

I have tried it on two 2k desktop boxes and one xp pro svc pack 2 desktop box.

Very fast on both of the 2k boxes around a minute to write 125megs.

Very slow on the XP pro svc pack 2 box lists 23 minutes to complete (I watched it for a couple of minutes and cancelled the copy).

The real problem seems to be when writing to the security partition on XP.

Thanks,

Paul

Wow, Interesting,

I have tried it on two 2k desktop boxes and one xp pro svc pack 2 desktop box.

Very fast on both of the 2k boxes around a minute to write 125megs.

Very slow on the XP pro svc pack 2 box lists 23 minutes to complete (I watched it for a couple of minutes and cancelled the copy).

The real problem seems to be when writing to the security partition on XP.

Thanks,

Paul

Tried a third XP pro svc pack 2 laptop with the exact same results as the other XP boxes.

Ramguy, do you have a 2gig voyager? Can you try writing to the security portion of the drive and check the time? Is there a software problem with the security and the 2gig voyager or do I have a voyager drive that doesn't like XP and the security software combination?

Its more than likely an issue with SP2. Try and disable any antivirus you may have loaded and see if that changes the results.

I had actually tried turning off AVG with no improvement, forgot to mention it.

I have to get back to my question in the last post.

Have you tried writing a few 100 meg to the secured partition on the 2gig voyager with XP pro? It's an easy test!

I am getting tired of working on this problem. Can you try it and let me know. I don't want to return this for a replacement and have the same problem!

Yes, this is normal because its going thru software because of the secure partition. If you need the speed you should not secure the partition. Sorry!

How come it works on your 1GB Voyager just fine? And we are talking tens of minutes for a 125 megs on the 2GB unit. In my humble opinion this make the drive not just slow but totally unusable. Back to Newegg it goes. I expected more from a company with a reputation like Corsair.

How come it works on your 1GB Voyager just fine? And we are talking tens of minutes for a 125 megs on the 2GB unit. In my humble opinion this make the drive not just slow but totally unusable. Back to Newegg it goes. I expected more from a company with a reputation like Corsair.

I borrowed a Stainless Steel non-Corsair 2GB JumpDrive and wrote my test files several times to the security portion of the drive. It never took longer than 22 SECONDS!! Yes it runs about $50 dollars more but 15 plus minutes compared to 22 seconds. WOW! That's "lightning speed".

Archived