Corsair Community

memory read wrong

OK here the problem, at start up with my first 1GB i had install it reads it at pc3200, that ok. but when i install the 2nd set of 1GB its read it at PC2700 i swap the new and old one by it self and just install 1GB at a time the start up will read it at PC3200, when i install all four memory sticks it read it at PC2700.. i am useing (XMS 1GB TwinX ) 2 sets of them please let me know what the problem.. is my sec pair that i just got bad, i need to know if i have a bad set so i can send it back for a replacement or refund... thank you for your timee

• Corsair Employees
The MB you have listed will not support 2 sets of DDR1 modules and you cannot mix DDR1 and DDR2 at the same time. Please list the make and model of MB and the part# of all of the modules you are using. And the CPU speed and it's FSB.

MB IS A (ASUS P5GDC DELUXE) FSB-800, P4 3.2GHz, MEMORY THAT I HAVE IS LOT#0506024-1 V5.1 THAT MY FIRST SET DDR1 , THE SEC. SET IS LOT# 0516013-0 V6.1 DDR1,,, THESE ARE NOT DDR2,, I DO HAVE THE CHOICE TO INSTALL DDR1 OR DDR2 ,, I CANT GO WRONG BECAUSE THE DDR2 ARE NOTCH ARE NOT THE SAME AS DDR1...

• Corsair Employees
With many MB's you cannot mix memory and that is essentially what you are doing with having 2 different revisions of modules. I would suggest you see if the reseller will let you send them back and just get 1Twinx2048-3200C2 for best performance. But if you use 4 modules there is more loading on the memory controller so as you add more memory it may need to be slowed down to make the system stable this is nothing new and quite common. In other words even if you had all four modules exactly matched it may be the MB slowing the memory down, and if so I would suggest the 2 Gig set of modules if you need 2.0 Gig of memory. But you can test the modules one set at a time with http://www.memtest.org and make sure they are set to exactly the same timings to be sure.

Archived