Corsair Community

A8V Deluxe Twinx2048 2nd pair Problems

Sgthawker

I have Rev 1.02 A8V Delxue mobo, BIOS 1009, 1012, 1014 (changed for testing) and have had a pair of Twinx2048 CMX1024-3200Pro XMS3200v1.2 memory installed and working fine. :cool: I ordered & installed a 2nd pair of Twinx2048 CMX1024-3200Pro XMS3200v4.1. The model # on the package is the same, the lot # is different and as indicated above the individual sticks pair has a different version #.

The problem is the BIOS is only counting 3520MB of memory. :confused: Memtest86 ver 3.2 shows 3519MB, but only running at 166Mhz DDR333. Windows System Properties shows 3.43GB; Windows Sysinfo tool shows 2048.00MB of Total physical memory, with 2.78GB available Physical memory; and Norton System Works Info tool shows 2048MB of system RAM and Physical RAM. All should show 4096MB, right? :eek:

I have never adjusted any BIOS memory settings, and less are available with the newer BIOS's. I have read on Planet AMD64 forums that timings are reduced to 166Mhz as a default for the 4GB total memory and can be set to 200Mhz in the BIOS, but I haven't gotten that far yet as it is not all recognized. Letting the long boot count memory still shows only the 3520MB.

Either pair only, installed in 1st or 2nd pair of DDR banks (blue or black) show in Memtest86 ver3.2: 2048MB 200Mhz DDR400 and pass all tests except 90 minute test that I can't access as © configure causes a reboot without accessing the configuration option. So it seems all memory is good and is showing CAS settings of 3.3.3.8 for all combinations.

What do I do next to resolve this issue?

• Corsair Employees
This is normal and a limitation of the memory controller; when ever you install more than 2 ranks per channel the memory controller by default will set the memory to DDR333. ASUS explained it as a problem and that is just wrong on their part. Also the platform will 4 Gig a Bits of memory not bytes total. And any memory used for cache or Video will come off of the top. For example if you have a 256 Meg Video card and 2 Meg of cache on your CPU the available memory to your system would be 2.993 Meg of memory and if you have the AGP aperture size set to 256 then it will show about 2.67 Gig of memory total in windows. In addition, WinXP will only allow 2.0 Gig of memory to any application.

This is normal and a limitation of the memory controller; when ever you install more than 2 ranks per channel the memory controller by default will set the memory to DDR333.

Does this hold true for the controller built into the FX-53 processor?

Also the platform will 4 Gig a Bits of memory not bytes total. And any memory used for cache or Video will come off of the top.

I believe the BIOS count normally shows 2048 for the 2 sticks only, not counting out the aperture size of 256MB. Why a difference for 4 sticks not counting to 4096 in the BIOS count?

For example if you have a 256 Meg Video card and 2 Meg of cache on your CPU the available memory to your system would be 2.993 Meg of memory and if you have the AGP aperture size set to 256 then it will show about 2.67 Gig of memory total in windows. In addition, WinXP will only allow 2.0 Gig of memory to any application.

I see, this makes sense for the windows indications. Thank you.

So in my case twinx memory of 2 2GB sticks would be the best way to reach the board max of 4GB and the fastest speed capability of DDR400? A shame I was not aware of this in the first place, I read your suggestion of starting with your RAM amount initially and not upgrading later with version issues etc... but alas, too late in my case, and I believe 2GB sticks weren't available at the time anyway.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

• Corsair Employees

Does this hold true for the controller built into the FX-53 processor?

A: Yes its a limitation of the platform, the new cores will or should be able to run at DDR400, but they would need to be set manually and AMD does suggest DDR333 with 4 double sided modules.

I believe the BIOS count normally shows 2048 for the 2 sticks only, not counting out the aperture size of 256MB. Why a difference for 4 sticks not counting to 4096 in the BIOS count?

A: It's because of the bits verses bytes, and the limit is in Bits and all of the memory comes off of the top. The system does this to make sure the O.S. does not use memory needed for the system caching when you have the maximum installed.

Archived