Corsair Community

Problem with Gigabyte MB

TBurninator

My friend, my brother and I have nearly identical computers. My friend and I both decided to upgrade our RAM. We bought 2GB (CMX512-3200C2PT x 4) apiece. Neither PC will boot (or if it does, crashes shortly there after) if the RAM is running dual channel. My friend can only run his computer with a single 512MB stick, and mine will only run if I have a different stick of RAM as well (3 of the XMS and 1 512MB ValueSelect). My brother runs ValueSelect RAM VS1GBKIT400) and he has no problems running dual channel. Is there a compatablity issue with the XMS RAM and this motherboard? The FAQ says that they are compatibile. Here's the rest of the info:

MB: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G

RAM: CMX512-3200C2PT x 4

Processor: Intel P4 3.0GHz w/ HT

Video: nVidia 6800GT

Any help would be much appreciated! I need to get back to WARCRAFT!!!

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest testing the modules one at a time on another system to be sure. But it would be close to impossible you got 3 failing modules from us. I would be willing to bet there is some other issue.

We have tested each module individually and in nearly every possible combination.

Using one module it usually takes 15-30 minutes before the computer crashes.

Using 2 (not dual channel) or 3 modules usually takes 5-10 minutes before crashing.

Using 2 and 4 modules (dual channel) Windows won't even boot.

We actually have 6 modules and have tried them in 2 separate computers with the same results. Both computers have the same Gigabyte MB (GA-8IPE1000-G) though, which leads me to believe it's a compatability issue. However, Corsair's memory matcher says that the RAM is compatable with the MB.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volst with Giga-Byte) and then set the timings to "BY SPD", and then test the module/modules again with wwww.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I increased the voltage but didn't see a way to adjust the timings in my bios.

I ran the memtest with 2 sticks running dual channel. It failed when it got to the 5th test (Block move, 64 moves). The 5th Test caused 1085438 Errors, but after that test 6 worked fine. Not sure what other information from the test would be useful. The test is still running now, I'll reply with the rest of the info.

Memory : 1024M 2804MB/s

Chipset : Intel i848/i865 (ECC : Disabled) - FSB : 201 MHz - PAT : Disabled

Settings: RAM : 201 MHz (DDR402) / CAS : 2.5-3-3-8 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

Archived