Corsair Community

Computer died

elly

Hi there!

I'm a little frustrated because of the following:

I had been running on a flawless system for 8 months, working mainly on composing music. As the work load has increased I decided today to buy more Ram to make the process run smoother. I go downtown Oslo (Norway) and tell the clerk what kind of motherboard I have (Intel D915GAV) and what other kind of Ram I had (Kingston KVR400/512). With this information he then gives me a Corsair Value S PC3200 DDR-Dimm 512 unbuffered.

I go happy home thinking work will be much better from now on.

I turn of the computer, even pull out the power chord, insert in to the right slot, and turn it on again. What happens? the computer does'nt start at all.

I'm baffled.

I've tried again and again, but it seems like this ram short-cut the entire system. Can this even happen?!?

I have never heard about this happening to anyoneelse ever, and to make it even more frustrating, my work is just at that period when everything is most important.

I wish I could give you my computer specifics, but I can't give you anything more accurate than my motherboard and other ram chip.

Regards,

elly

Take the memory out, it'll probably boot up just fine. Then replace the other memory with the Corsair memory. If it works fine as well, then the sticks aren't compatible with each other, which isn't surprising. It's never recommended to mix modules from different manufacturers, primarily because of design differences.

thanks for the advice guys! I really apreciate it.

I've tried to use just either of the ram chips now, but it's not booting. I am thinking that the motherboard has been fried around the ram chip area. There are still lights in the motherboard, but it wont boot at all with neither of the ram chips.

I have three 200gb harddisks full of music work, i really just hope they are ok after this, and that if I buy a new motherboard, they will work just fine.

• Corsair Employees
They should work just fine, unless the HDD got corrupted somehow and if this is the case then it may not work at all. Let us know how you make out, or if you need any further assistance.

Archived