Corsair Community

Bad module for 1.42Ghz mac mini?

ccoffing

On 4/18 I ordered a 1 GB PC2700 module for my 1.42 Ghz Mac Mini from zipzoomfly.com. Their memory configurator (I guess it is actually Corsair's configurator?) suggested a Corsair CM72D1024RPL-2700. So that's what I bought.

I finally got around to opening the Mini and installing the memory. On powerup, I get 3 beeps. 3 beeps mean that "no RAM banks passed memory testing". Sounds like a bad module to me.

But just to double check, I went back to corsair.com, and looked up the Mac Mini again in the configurator. Now it's suggesting CMSS1GB-333.

So I have three questions:

1. Should the CM72D1024RPL-2700 module really work in my Mini, or did the configurator tool lie to me? (167Mhz FSB * 2 * 8 = 2672, so PC2700 seems right.)

2. Why is the configurator tool now suggesting CMSS1GB-333?

3. If my CM72D1024RPL-2700 should in fact work with the Mini, then I need to get a replacement for it. :sigh!: If it's not compatible, then I feel screwed by the configurator tool. :mad:

Thanks,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the same question about the 1G module for the Mac Mini: there is one Corsair module for $85, and one for about $136 at Newegg; they look pretty equivalent to me.

Did you end up having to get the more expensive CMSS1GB-333?

Thanks,

NX

On 4/18 I ordered a 1 GB PC2700 module for my 1.42 Ghz Mac Mini from zipzoomfly.com. Their memory configurator (I guess it is actually Corsair's configurator?) suggested a Corsair CM72D1024RPL-2700. So that's what I bought.

I finally got around to opening the Mini and installing the memory. On powerup, I get 3 beeps. 3 beeps mean that "no RAM banks passed memory testing". Sounds like a bad module to me.

But just to double check, I went back to corsair.com, and looked up the Mac Mini again in the configurator. Now it's suggesting CMSS1GB-333.

So I have three questions:

1. Should the CM72D1024RPL-2700 module really work in my Mini, or did the configurator tool lie to me? (167Mhz FSB * 2 * 8 = 2672, so PC2700 seems right.)

2. Why is the configurator tool now suggesting CMSS1GB-333?

3. If my CM72D1024RPL-2700 should in fact work with the Mini, then I need to get a replacement for it. :sigh!: If it's not compatible, then I feel screwed by the configurator tool. :mad:

Thanks,

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi NX,

I did in fact get recommended the wrong part. My part is registered, which I hear through the grapevine doesn't work with the Mac Mini. The Mini wants unregistered, unbuffered.

The Mini also is spec'd for a 2.5 volt chip with CAS latency of 2.5. I stumbled across a website somewhere (I can't find it at the moment) that was discussing this. Apparently, many Macs won't work with CL 2 RAM. (Seems odd that they won't work with faster memory, but many people report it.)

So, to my knowledge, the Mac Mini wants: 184 pin, 333 Mhz, PC2700, CL2, 2.5v, unbuffered, non-ECC.

I haven't looked up the specs on the CMSS1GB-333 yet. (But if the specs match the above, I expect it would work.) I'm trying to get my money back from the wrong part first... :-/

HTH,

Chuck

Hi,

I had the same question about the 1G module for the Mac Mini: there is one Corsair module for $85, and one for about $136 at Newegg; they look pretty equivalent to me.

Did you end up having to get the more expensive CMSS1GB-333?

Thanks,

NX

Archived