Corsair Community

Temp Sensor Custom Fan Curve

Corndogler

Hello,

I am interested in setting up a custom fan curve. Currently, I have the h170i Elite LCD AIO, 4 ml120 rgb elite fans, and the 7000x, which has it's 4 original case fans.

At the moment, I have all of my fans using the AIO coolant temp as the fan setting. I have placed one of my thermal sensors in front of my rear exhaust fan, and I believe that would be a better temperature sensor to read to cool both my CPU and my GPU, since I cannot set up a fan profile that reacts to both the gpu and cpu temps in iCue. Am I correct in thinking this is the best option?

Assuming using the temperature probe is the best for setting up a custom fan curve, does anyone have some guidance on how to best set up that curve using that temperature sensor?

Thank you,

I assume you have the H170 as front intake 🙂

you could set the case fans to be controlled by that exhaust sensor since it will mostly see the GPU heat. the case fans will bring plenty of air for the gpu.

It's probably best to leave the AIO on water temp though, or else it will be hard to make its fans accelerate when the cpu alone is working.

See how it works like this, case with gpu temp, AIO with water temp.

Edited by LeDoyen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

I assume you have the H170 as front intake 🙂

you could set the case fans to be controlled by that exhaust sensor since it will mostly see the GPU heat. the case fans will bring plenty of air for the gpu.

It's probably best to leave the AIO on water temp though, or else it will be hard to make its fans accelerate when the cpu alone is working.

See how it works like this, case with gpu temp, AIO with water temp.

Thanks for the response!

Actually, no, I have the AIO as a top exhaust. I should have specified my fan setup. AIO fans and rear fan are all exhaust. The 3 front case fans, and the 4 120mm side fans are all intake.

I was planning to keep the AIO on the water coolant sensor. But wanted to change the other case fans to help with the GPU. If I set those fans to use that rear exhaust sensor, do you think that would work pretty well for this type of setup? I'm trying to find a balance between cooling my GPU and my CPU. My CPU does run quite hot, as it is a 13900k, but the AIO is pretty beefy, so I thought cooling everything by the case temp would be a good middle ground for cooling both CPU and GPU.

Lastly, if I do use that rear sensor as the sensor for my fan curve, do you have any suggestions on setting up a curve based on that? When adjusting a sensor based on say my CPU temps, I have a good understanding of where I would want that curve, but I not so much for a sensor placed in the rear of my case by a fan, haha.

Leave the radiator fans on H170i Temp (coolant temperature). You can customize the curve.  Don't feel bound by the presets.  You've got 3x140 and a lot of radiator surface area.  You don't need maximum speed and this will take of itself.  You may even want to prevent it from over-reaching during gaming.  The top fans can pull too much of the GPU heat through the radiator when you'd prefer it left via the rear exhaust.  

Front and rear fan on the temp probe at the back.  It's really hard to give you a range, but obviously wherever it is at when you boot the system and let it sit for normal tasks for 10-15 minutes is the baseline.  Set it quiet.  The average increase for a typical user is somewhere around +10C, but this is very GPU and load dependent.  If you are putting 600W through a 4090, you are going to make a lot of heat.  Best thing to do is play or do what you normally do.  Wherever the temp peaks out, set a reasonable fan speed --- something you can tolerate.  It's easy enough to tweak a little here and there and you will likely need to do so again when Spring/Summer rolls around.  Go down to the lower right corner of the custom graph screen and click on one of the presets.  Those are for liquid temp, but that will be close to ambient temp and give you a decent shape to start.  No need for aggressive ramping near 40C.  Make it smooth and reasonable.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Leave the radiator fans on H170i Temp (coolant temperature). You can customize the curve.  Don't feel bound by the presets.  You've got 3x140 and a lot of radiator surface area.  You don't need maximum speed and this will take of itself.  You may even want to prevent it from over-reaching during gaming.  The top fans can pull too much of the GPU heat through the radiator when you'd prefer it left via the rear exhaust.  

Front and rear fan on the temp probe at the back.  It's really hard to give you a range, but obviously wherever it is at when you boot the system and let it sit for normal tasks for 10-15 minutes is the baseline.  Set it quiet.  The average increase for a typical user is somewhere around +10C, but this is very GPU and load dependent.  If you are putting 600W through a 4090, you are going to make a lot of heat.  Best thing to do is play or do what you normally do.  Wherever the temp peaks out, set a reasonable fan speed --- something you can tolerate.  It's easy enough to tweak a little here and there and you will likely need to do so again when Spring/Summer rolls around.  Go down to the lower right corner of the custom graph screen and click on one of the presets.  Those are for liquid temp, but that will be close to ambient temp and give you a decent shape to start.  No need for aggressive ramping near 40C.  Make it smooth and reasonable.  

Thanks for the detailed response. I do indeed have a 4090, so I'll keep what you said in mind about the heat.

Would you recommend all of the front fans (3 in front, 4 to their side in the front) and the rear exhaust all on that rear temp probe? That's what I was thinking of doing, but since you seem to know your stuff, I'll double-check.

If your side fans are intake like the front, group them together for control and think of them as an 8 fan intake.  They are awfully close together but the combined pressure should help keep air moving through the case.  The other thing is if you feel the front and side are having a negative impact on each other, slow one or the other down and see if it helps.  No reason you can't make a more gentle curve on the same temps, but with slightly lower speeds.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, c-attack said:

If your side fans are intake like the front, group them together for control and think of them as an 8 fan intake.  They are awfully close together but the combined pressure should help keep air moving through the case.  The other thing is if you feel the front and side are having a negative impact on each other, slow one or the other down and see if it helps.  No reason you can't make a more gentle curve on the same temps, but with slightly lower speeds.

Thanks!

On the Commander Core?  It’s a moderately aggressive water cooling curve. It’s been tweaked a few times, but like any curve it needs a baseline. Most of the Corsair curves originally had a low baseline for a 20-23C room. As cases moved from mesh to sealed glass boxes this became problematic snd the baseline went up.

What most users should do even if they are fine with the presets is ‘make a copy’ of it using the custom curve tool. Go to cooling and + to create a new graph. Click one of those shape tools in the lower right corner. Those are the three presets Quiet, Balanced, Extreme. However, now you can actually see and edit the data points. At a minimum it helps new users understand what it is doing. Im not sure why the presets hide their data points, even if they wish to make them non-adjustable. 

Ahh, I didn't know you could see the data point if you made a copy. I was wondering what exactly those preset profiles did. 

Do you happen to know what the Balanced profile monitors if you have a Commander Core XT not connected to your AIO? My case came with one, so I'm using two commander Cores, ATM. One for case fans, and another for my AIO and some additional fans. I did notice the profiles are different between the two, and since they're presets, and I don't necessarily have the fans that came with each plugged into them, I probably have some fans using some rather arbitrary profiles.

9 hours ago, Corndogler said:

Do you happen to know what the Balanced profile monitors if you have a Commander Core XT not connected to your AIO?

CPU temperature.  This is not a very good control variable but every system has it.  The Commander Pro does the same thing, but with immediately negative results.  You have to get off that as fast as you can.  On the XT they added some hysteresis so the fans don't ramp up and down quite so much.  Also when you quit CUE and lose the CPU temp data, the fans usually hold steady at last known speed.  On the Commander Pro they would max out in that kind of condition.  Any data source outside the temp sensor needs the Corsair.Service and CPUID service to fetch it from the motherboard or elsewhere.  So besides being a proper source of information about what's going on, the temp probe will ensure your fans do what they are supposed to do regardless of whether CUE is running or not.  The fan curve is saved to the device when you create and apply it.  

On 1/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, c-attack said:

CPU temperature.  This is not a very good control variable but every system has it.  The Commander Pro does the same thing, but with immediately negative results.  You have to get off that as fast as you can.  On the XT they added some hysteresis so the fans don't ramp up and down quite so much.  Also when you quit CUE and lose the CPU temp data, the fans usually hold steady at last known speed.  On the Commander Pro they would max out in that kind of condition.  Any data source outside the temp sensor needs the Corsair.Service and CPUID service to fetch it from the motherboard or elsewhere.  So besides being a proper source of information about what's going on, the temp probe will ensure your fans do what they are supposed to do regardless of whether CUE is running or not.  The fan curve is saved to the device when you create and apply it.  

Just to make sure I understand correctly, if I'm not using the temp probe for my fan profile setting (the sensor I can place in my case where I want it), then if I turn off iCue, it will not properly follow the set curve? I assume it still works properly with the coolant temp sensor even when iCue is off as well, just not other profiles, such as CPU sensor?

that's right.

If the controller uses a software sensor (one actively provided by the iCUE app), the fans will stop responding to the curve if iCUE isn't running as there is no temperature reading  anymore.

Of you use the water temperature on the AIO controller (hardware sensor) or a thermistor physically connected to the controller (hardware sensor again), the fan curve will always work, because the controller does not rely on the iCUE app to get the temperature reading. It will work regardless of the app being running or not.

• Like 1

The Commander Core can run from water temp without CUE because it is a native part of the Elite Capellix and it can pass data down one of those 22 wires on the wide connector between pump temp sensor and controller. However, the Commander XT must get that info from the Commander Core through the CUE software and the info is passed from sensor to Com Core-> USB -> Motherboard -> USB -> Commander XT. As such, it needs to software running for controllers to talk to each other, as explained above. USB passthroughs on the Commander Pro and XT are not for direct device to device communication. It’s just sharing a usb line back to the MB. 

• Like 1

One more question I've come across as I've been messing with my fan curves that I can't seem to find, can you copy a fan profile from one commander core to another? I'd like to do that for a baseline between the two and then tweak from there.

52 minutes ago, Corndogler said:

can you copy a fan profile from one commander core to another?

No.  The copy function will only duplicate it in that controller's cooling window.  You will need to re-create it on the other controller.  Try typing the values into the boxes.  It's a lot easier than dragging the points.  

• Like 1