Corsair Community

Twinx1024-3200xl

jhego

Hi, i'm new to the forum. I have a CMX512-3200LL 1gb worth of memory. I recently found out that it's been discontinued and it will now be replaced with the 3200XL. They told me that i'm going to have to RMA the 3200LL and replace it with the 3200XL. Now my question, will a TWINX1024-3200XL work together with CMX512-3200XL. I'm planning to buy the TWINX1024 at Newegg before i RMA my 3200LL so in that way i can still use my computer then when i receive the product back from Corsair i would have a total of 2GB of 3200XL. I'm not familiar with memory so if anybody could help out, i would appreciate it. Thanks :o:

So you want put 3 sticks of XL?

It best that you get same version and lot no. And that usually have no problem. By the way...what mb that you'll use these 3 XL sticks?

I'm actually using all 4 slots on my Asus A8V Deluxe so the TWINX1024-3200XL will be 1GB then 2 X CMX512-3200XL so overall total of 2GB. I just want to know if they are all the same and wouldn't want to worry about compatibility issues.

If they're came from same version & lot. no, it wouldn't be an issue. But regarding 4 sticks installed togeter, it'll heavy loading to the chipset/memory controller. I already use Venice core and I can't run at 1T even with 4 x 256m sticks! Better use 2 instead of 4.

If they're came from same version & lot. no, it wouldn't be an issue. But regarding 4 sticks installed togeter, it'll heavy loading to the chipset/memory controller. I already use Venice core and I can't run at 1T even with 4 x 256m sticks! Better use 2 instead of 4.

But i'm running 4 x 512mb so will that also make a difference?

i have 480W right now, i hope it won't be an issue :(:

According to your mb specs, you've to buy ATX v2.0 compliant (native 24 pin)PSU to ensure stability. I suggest you buy min. 500 watts of good quality psu for your specs :!:

480W does not equal good PSU. What brand / model is it?

I actually have a manufacturer made computer. It's an Alienware Aurora. It's Alienware Model HPC-420-302 DF 480 Watts.

It's weird that when i configured my computer on the site before that it didn't give me any compatibility issues regarding upgrading my memory to 2GB while still using the 480W PSU they provide. It should've at least warned me to upgrade my PSU when i configured it with 2GB of memory. And even until now it comes in with 460W stock which is 20W lower configured with 2GB no warning on the site.

help RAM guy.

Should i just sell my 2 x 512MB 3200XL and go for Twinx2048-3200c2 in order to achieve 1T? (whats 1T anyway and does it affect performance a lot?)

jhego,

You won't lost much performance more than 5% when running 2T. The most important that your system can run 4 sticks without trouble, but I don't know whether 4 sticks can run at 400 mhz or not in your FX-53 CPU. :):

From Adrian Wong’s site: http://www.rojakpot.com/

"This BIOS feature allows you to select the delay between the assertion of the Chip Select signal till the time the memory controller starts sending commands to the memory bank. The lower the value, the sooner the memory controller can send commands out to the activated memory bank. When this feature is enabled, the memory controller will only insert a command delay of one clock cycle or 1T. When this feature is disabled, the memory controller will insert a command delay of two clock cycles or 2T. The Auto option allows the memory controller to use the memory module's SPD value for command delay. If the SDRAM command delay is too long, it can reduce performance by unnecessarily preventing the memory controller from issuing the commands sooner. However, if the SDRAM command delay is too short, the memory controller may not be able to translate the addresses in time and the "bad commands" that result will cause data loss and corruption. It is recommended that you try enabling SDRAM 1T Command for better memory performance. But if you face stability issues, disable this BIOS feature."

Archived