Corsair Community

Took Your Advice - I think it was wrong!

Alsone

Hi Ram Guy,

I requested some advice on what memory to buy for my gaming rig with a compatability report and some other questions.

I specifically asked whether or not I should get Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) or 1GB of pc3200XL (2x 512mb).

You advised me that the 1GB of XL would probably be better as it had faster timings and 1GB should be enough, so I took your advice on 28th April 2005 and got 1GB of XL made up of 2x512mb matched pairs with LED indicators.

I was upgrading for the game Battlefield 2. I now have Battlefield 2 and its suffering from momentary pauses all the time. I can hear the HD working during these.

I've Alt Tabbed out of the game to check the system properties tab and its showing that the page file is using 998mb of the 1GB available.

I don't know much about the page file but being so close to the limit I think I may have insufficient memory.

Can I please change my modules for the 2GB instead as I took your advice when buying?

I have all the original packaging and I'm quite willing to pay the difference.

Al.

PS Restarted the game and took a screenshot. This time page file was 1.1GB.

http://teamfha.com/uploads/1117241558/gallery_512_18_29953.jpg

The page file is a file on the HDD, not the memory itself. What other programs are you running at the same time, and what cpu / motherboard / video card do you have?

Yup I know but doesn't Windows turn to the page file when the memory runs out?

What concerns me is:

a) The Size of the page file when the game is running suggesting its in need of more memory (it drops massively in size when the game isn't running to only a couple of hundred meg)

b) The fact that Free Physical memory is reported as only 17 mb approx when the game is running and thats when I'm tabbed out of it and not actually putting any kind of stress on the system (from screenshot)

c) That Page file memory usuage appears high and I can hear the hard drive kicking in during the game pauses

My system is as follows:

Asus A8N Sli Deluxe N-Force 4 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Core with 1mb Level 2 cache

Zalmann Superflower CPU Cooler

XFX Nvidea 6800GT 256MB DDR3

Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard

Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive

Enermax 480W PSU

Thermaltake Tsunami Case with 2 x 12cm and 1 x 8cm fans

Rounded cabling

The only other programs I have running are Norton Internet Security 2005 and Team Speak (which is very resource light anyway).

The whole system was custom built from new specifically for BF2 hence my original advice request.

Al.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the modules installed on either memory slots 1&3 or 2&4 and have the latest BIOS for your MB as well; load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX2048-3200C2

Advanced/Jumper Free

AI over clocking: Manual

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.75 Volts

System performance: Standard

Advanced/CPU/Memory or DRAM Configuration

Memclock Model: Limit

Memclock value/ratio: DDR 400MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

1T/2T Memory Timing: Auto or 1T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure! In addition the PSU that you have on your system is too small; with a 480watts setup and a video card like that, I do not think that it is even enough as I would suggest atleast a 550Watts PSU.

Hi Ram Guy,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have already Mem Tested my system with Mem Test 86 at the tighter but Corsair factory recommended settings for PC3200 XL (thats what I have) of 1T-2-2-2-5 and it posts no errors.

In fact I left the Mem test overnight for 20 passes. I've also run another Mem Test at 6 passes and I include the result at the bottom of the page. My memory is error free and quite happy at 1T-2-2-2-5.

I have the memory in slots 1&3 and the BIOS POST Screen confirms that its running Dual Channel.

The BIOS settings are per yours.

I have the latest Asus BIOS - 1009 - which specifically supports Rev E4 cores (San Diego).

As for the power supply, Asus recommend a 400W supply with 2 x 6800GT's on this board. So at 480w, I'm well in excess of even their SLI dual set up.

I only have 1 x 6800GT in non-sli (I've checked the SLI jumper as well and its OK), so I'm 80 w in excess of their of their SLI requirement and 130w in excess of their single card recommendation.

http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=16&model=375&l1=3&l2=15&l3=0

Additionally, I'm benchmarking 11,606 in 3D Mark 2003 which seems to indicate no performance issues with other games. I have posted an earlier screenshot showing a slightly lower benchmark 11,331 which was achieved with earlier drivers.

I've also seen some posts about Bf2 using up to 1.2GB of memory and I've had a PM from another user whose thread on another forum I posted in about memory problems with BF2 - he was getiing stuttering on map load, this is his reply. I've posted the link to the orginal message at the very bottom - I don't know if you'll be able to access it as you won't be logged in as me! Here is his quote - I can PM my password if you want to check authenticity.

Hi!

Just wanted to tell you that I just picked up my ram today, making that a total of 2.48gig!.

The gameplay in all my games are now awesomely smooth and at a steady framerate.

The stuttering in BF2 on mapload is nowhere to be seen, Take my advice and get more ram bro its awesome to play BF2 now :)

Best Regards

Mr Meng

[/Quote]

I hope this is of some assistance.

Al.

http://teamfha.com/uploads/1117241558/gallery_512_18_27356.jpg

http://teamfha.com/uploads/1114737894/gallery_512_18_1115897212.jpg

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/message.asp?m=658403

I'm sorry but if you have two pairs of the 3200XL then you will have to run those modules at 2T command rate, as for the PSU 400 Watts is not enough for an SLi system; to read more or have an idea in regards to this please visit the following link and review: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQwLDM=

Hi RAM Guy,

Thanks for the link: -

However, I'm NOT running SLI.

I have a single 6800GT only and my PSU is 480 Watts.

I did drop my timing for a 24hr period to 2T-3-3-3-6 but it made no difference to the paging file or free memory and no difference to the pauses.

Al.

• Corsair Employees
Well BF2 is memory hungry so you need to add more memory, however if you have 2GB of memory alread installed on your system; then you will have to set the settings properly. I guess I am not clear on what exactly your question is? Can you please ask your question again in details? Thank you...

I requested some advice on what memory to buy for my new gaming rig with a compatability report and some other questions.

I specifically asked whether or not I should get Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX or 1GB of pc3200XL TwinX for my new BF2 system.

I couldn't afford 2GB of XL, so the choice was either the 1GB XL or 2GB C2PT in TwinX.

You advised me that the 1GB of XL TwinX would probably be better as it had faster timings and 1GB would be enough for my game.

I now find that after taking your advice to go for the XL (1GB only), that I don't have enough memory.

Can you please exchange my modules for the 2GB C2PT TwinX (2 x 1 GB) instead, as I took your advice to buy the 1GB XL and it turned out to be wrong.

I have all the original packaging and I'm willing to pay the difference.

Al.

• Corsair Employees

Al,

I have played this game as well with a 1GB module set up, and I have not encounter any problem at all; especially and specifically like the one that you are experiencing on your system. I would highly recommend or suggest to you to try to re-install all drivers and software since it sounded more like a software conflict; this game only requires 512MB, so 1GB should do it!

Al,

I have played this game as well with a 1GB module set up, and I have not encounter any problem at all; especially and specifically like the one that you are experiencing on your system. I would highly recommend or suggest to you to try to re-install all drivers and software since it sounded more like a software conflict; this game only requires 512MB, so 1GB should do it!

Hi Ram Guy,

Actually 1GB is recommended. (Minimum RAM is 512).

We both know that recommended levels only cater for average settings and that this game has a reputation for eating alive anything but the best systems. Sytems that can run Doom 3 are struggling to cope on BF2 - I can show you an article that says just that!

If you run the game with anything like High Settings as I expect to be able to do on a system I built specifically from scratch with that in mind, something thats obvious from the components I used, then you will find that 1GB is not enough.

That flys in the face of your advice that 1GB would be sufficient to comfortably run BF2, especially as I was going to buy the 2GB C2PT TwinX until I received your recommendation that 1GB XL would be better.

I'm not looking for recriminations here, I just think that I should be allowed to exchange my modules as I was given the wrong advice, and like I said I am willing to pay the difference. I can hardly be more reasonable than that.

Al.

• 1 month later...
Just to reassure you, my cousin runs BF2 on an old p4 2.6 with 768 of mixed stuff, no probs. cept for the game itself. I feel like I upgraded for nothing, although Im glad I did. I think BF2 is garbage right now, Im sick of these gaming companys selling unfinshed products, and have consumers debug'em for them. 150 fixes comin, please they could have inclued that orignally. But it tought me to wait for the prices to come down from now on and give these companies as little as possible. Sorry if I sound mad, Im not, but 1 gig should do it. Good luck bro :sunglasse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
I happened across this thread. You DO want more than 1GB RAM for BF2 especially if you have an "average" system and/or a slower hard drive.

We recently performed some tests with BF2 using 1GB of memory and 2GB. If you are interested please see our results at: http://corsair.com/corsair/products/tech/AN506_1GB_vs_2GB.pdf

Hope this helps you! :sunglasse

Archived