Corsair Community

Bad module??

I have had many problems with my computer crashing lately.

It will crash, usually at start up, sometimes to the blue screen, other times it will just re-boot.

I have been on SysOp forum a lot lately and they suggested I run Memtest86+. So I did. I have a failure in test two with these two sticks of memory installed. Now here is the catch. In trying to figure out this problem I have replaced just about every component except the memory and power supply.

When I test the memory sticks by themselves, they appear to test fine. I then switched one stick out and swapped it for a stick of Crucial 256mb pc2100. It still tested fine. So I essentially swapped out both sticks of Corsair and they tested fine when paired with one stick of Crucial, and also individually. However, when I place just the Corsair sticks in the mobo as a pair, in the appropriate DIMM slots per the Motherboard manual, I get the Memtest error on test two(#2).

What gives? Any ideas :confused:

BTW, I set the volt at defuault on the RAM at 2.77, to no effect, and then changed it back to the default. Also, during Memtest, the CAS is reported as 2-3-3-7

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Sure.... it is a VS512mb333, lot number 0452020-0. Make of mobo... Epox EP-8RDA3Ipro. Cpu is set as stock (not overclocked). FSB 333. System (cpu?)clock 166. All settings are normal as far as the BIOS is concerned. The award bios allows "optimized" settins, which essentiall detects the hardware in the system. The bios is the latest and is 6a61bpap.

The memory fault that I get is at address 00028a79a28, if that means anything to you.

Temps are 37c for the cpu running motherboard monitor.

BTW, your link on how to read ram labels didn't work. FYI

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

I have already tested the modules individually, and they test ok with memtest. The problem is when they are paired together that I receive the error.

When I put two sticks of Crucial in.. they test fine. So... I am thinking that something is up with these two sticks of Corsair memory.

Unfortuenately, I don't have my other system up and running yet, so I cant take these sticks and try them in my other system.

• Corsair Employees
Well I have no problem replacing the modules for you, but if they test with no errors one up but you get errors when in DC that would suggest some other problem. As long as both modules are exactly matched. You may not be able to mix our modules with different part# and revisions and or another makers modules on the same system. If you want to try replacing them, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived