Corsair Community

GA-K8NXP-sli Dual Channel Memory Problems

clivro

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-sli mobo populated with an AMD Athlon 3500+ S939 (Newcastle core) processor and 2xCMX512-3200C2 DDR400 modules bought as a TWINX1024-3200C2 kit. I am running the modules at a memclock speed of 200MHz, 2.5-3-3-8 timings and 2.6V

With the modules in slots 1 and 3 (single channel mode) everything is wonderful however, if I populate slots 1 and 2 (configured for dual channel mode) the BIOS won't even POST. I just get a blank screen and the beep code sounds repeatedly until I turn the rig off.

I have got nowhere with Gigabyte: -

QUOTE "Please try to set the "Load Optimised Default" in the main BIOS."

QUOTE "Please check the memory timing in the "Extended BIOS" (Ctrl-F1)"

QUOTE "You can try lower the CL options in the Extended BIOS."

None of which have made a jot of difference. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Or can anyone offer an explanation/fix for this? Having paid out for a dual channel memory capable mobo and processor I am a bit miffed that I am stuck in single channel mode! :mad:

Thanks

Clivro

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Or if both of the modules pass one ata time but the system will not post when in dual channel that would suggest a problem with the memory controller and I would get the CPU replaced. Testing the modules in another system may help to isolate this as well.

Thank you for your prompt and extremely useful reply. I have carried out the memtest86 tests on both modules individually and they both passed with flying colours!

I am inclined to think that there is a probably a fault with the ram controller in the processor.

Thanks once again for your assistance, I shall continue my quest in single channel mode!!! :):

Clivro,

Can you run 2T in Dual Channel mode? Hmm, this mb shouldn't have trouble with CAS 2.5 DDR. I've ever tested this mb & run smoothly.

Hi ferry_g,

BIOS setting defaults to auto, choices are then 1T or 2T, I'm presuming that in auto BIOS will default to the more relaxed setting of 2T?

My problem is that BIOS won't even POST in Dual Channel mode. And when I move a module back to slot 3 from 2 the BIOS resets to 166MHz and CL3. I believe this is because the SPD setting for this module is PC2700 as there is no JEDEC PC3200 standard?????

Really appreciate all the help on this forum, got nowhere with Gigabyte or AMD forums. Would Corsair consider producing Mobo's and Processors? :laughing:

I did see somewhere that Newcastle memory controllers have a problem with dual channel mode, but don't much feel like shelling out another £180 to try a Winchester or Venice core!!!!

Cheers,

clivro

Hi again ferry_g,

I just noticed you've got a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 680w PSU! I am jealous - couldn't get one anywhere in UK had to settle for TT 480w Butterfly series! Very noisy had to put fan controller on and wind right down to 900rpm!

Sorry this is off topic, but I had to comment!!!

Best regards,

clivro

clivro,

I tested this board with Athlon64 3000+ winchester core, Corsair VS 2x512 mb, Thermaltake 680 watts (ATX v2.01) psu, and very first bios.

Can you lend from a friend 2 x 256 mb DDR400 ram? I suspect it's the ram controller.

Are u sure that newcastle core support 2 x 512 mb ram?

I ever have Athlon64 Newcastle core but in socket 754 (single channel) that won't run 2 x 512 mb in DDR400 speed, they would run in DDR333 speed.

It's about A64 limitation..... :!:

clivro,

I tested this board with Athlon64 3000+ winchester core, Corsair VS 2x512 mb, Thermaltake 680 watts (ATX v2.01) psu, and very first bios.

Can you lend from a friend 2 x 256 mb DDR400 ram? I suspect it's the ram controller.

Are u sure that newcastle core support 2 x 512 mb ram?

I ever have Athlon64 Newcastle core but in socket 754 (single channel) that won't run 2 x 512 mb in DDR400 speed, they would run in DDR333 speed.

It's about A64 limitation..... :!:

ferry_g,

I think you could well be right about the Newcastle core. Unfortunately, even though a colleague and I have 7 computers between us, I am at our 'bleeding edge' and don't have access to any more DDR400 ram! I'm no OC'er so I am getting adequate performance in single channel mode, but it does annoy me when things aren't perfect. I have the latest F7 BIOS, which I believe supports the latest Venice core, so I may have to make a purchase just to prove the point!!!

Thank you for your input which has confirmed my suspicions about the Newcastle memory controller will try and find it in writing somewhere!

Thanks once again,

clivro

Hi,

It's not about oc. You'll not gain benefit of s939 if you running at single channel mode. And you will need ATX 2.0 compliant psu (native 24 pin) for your mb :!: You might try using 2 x 256 mb DDR400.

If you use light vga like 6600GT, Tt 460w ATX2.0 psu (W0047) would be enough for your system. I myself never oc'ing my A8N SLI Deluxe (high risk), but I do oc'ing my DFI nF4-DAGF using Tt 460w (W0047), Leadtek 6600GT Extreme, Venice 3000+, Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO (267x9/1.4v, DDR@534 mhz cl 2.5-4-4-8-1T/2.8v).

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

It's not about oc. You'll not gain benefit of s939 if you running at single channel mode. And you will need ATX 2.0 compliant psu (native 24 pin) for your mb :!: You might try using 2 x 256 mb DDR400.

If you use light vga like 6600GT, Tt 460w ATX2.0 psu (W0047) would be enough for your system. I myself never oc'ing my A8N SLI Deluxe (high risk), but I do oc'ing my DFI nF4-DAGF using Tt 460w (W0047), Leadtek 6600GT Extreme, Venice 3000+, Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO (267x9/1.4v, DDR@534 mhz cl 2.5-4-4-8-1T/2.8v).

Thanks to everyboy who replied to my post. I had replaced the power supply with a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 680W ATX2.0 PSU (W0049) and swapped the RAM for a matched pair of Crucial Ballistix PC3200 all to no avail!

However, I have now replaced my 3500+ winchester core processor with a 3500+ venice core and I now have 2GB of dual channel memory - hurrah!

However, my joy has been severely tempered by the events that have taken place today in London, uk and I extend my sympathies to anybody who has been effected by this atrocity.

clivro

• 3 weeks later...

OC'ing the A8N-SLI Deluxe - High Risk??? What makes the DFI less of a risk. Are you forgetting that ASUS supplies the A.I. N.O.S.? Admittedly it's crap but it's there.

I can run my FX-55 at 3080MHz. From 2.6GHz thats just a small rise doncha think? It isn't high risk if you know what you are doing. Although granted to do so I had to get a bigger PSU (550W wasn't enough - things werent booting)

I toned it down to 2.9GHz for longevity of CPU.

OC'ing is not high risk if you do it slowly!!!!!! DAMN THESE FALLICIES. :mad:

OC'ing the A8N-SLI Deluxe - High Risk??? What makes the DFI less of a risk. Are you forgetting that ASUS supplies the A.I. N.O.S.? Admittedly it's crap but it's there.

I can run my FX-55 at 3080MHz. From 2.6GHz thats just a small rise doncha think? It isn't high risk if you know what you are doing. Although granted to do so I had to get a bigger PSU (550W wasn't enough - things werent booting)

Too truely true.

Clivro I have had a similar problem except I am not technically aware about dual chanel and single channel mode, I have a similar model mobo as well, how do you change from dual to single, check out my thread at 'GAk8ns and Corsair' and that should give you some idea, I would appreciate any help I can get. How do you change from single to dual cause I am only able to install one of my 512mb corsairs eventhough both test working

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe is best mb layout for SLI system. But for mad overclocker, I still choose DFI. I've got higher clock with DFI mb :biggrin:

My OC results

Archived