Corsair Community

Errors on test 6 with memtest86+

yoyomanben

Well, with all 4 modules installed, I set the DIMM overvoltage to +0.3v and successfully ran memtest with zero errors. PC didn't heat up any more than when I had it set to +0.2v. Thanks for all the help and troubleshooting. Now the real test to see if regular every day usage causes any problems.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte mobo GA-8IK1100 (rev. 2) with the latest BIOS version. I recently purchased two sets of Corsair's TwinX-3200C2PT for a total of 2GB, and made sure to check the versions were the same. Everything runs smooth until I run some memory intensive programs/online games. After a couple hours of gaming my system would reboot so I downloaded and ran Memtest86+ v1.55.

Tests 1-5 had zero errors. At test 6 I started encountering errors. I couldn't tell you any details about the errors as I didn't write anything down. If need be I can run the test again if more information is needed. All BIOS settings are optimized default.

Also while running Memtest86+ it displayed my CAS as 3-3-3-8 instead of the manufacturers 2-3-3-6. Is this something I need to manually set, and if so how?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums, yoyomanben!

These modules are only rated to 2-3-3-6 in single pairs, not pairs of pairs! I'm not saying that the four modules couldn't do it together, but it's usually hard to get a chipset to run low latencies with a large number of modules.

You can always try manually setting them to CAS 2.5 and see if they'll still run, but let's try to get rid of these errors first.

If memory serves, test 6 alone can indicate another issue and not the memory. Please try a VDimm of 2.75 or 2.8 volts and see if that helps any. If not, try only one pair at a time and see if perhaps it's the 4-at-one-time kind of problem.

This will also help to see if perhaps one of the modules is failing, thus if one of the pairs still gives you the problem, then try each module individually, etc.

PLUR

CK

Set the DIMM voltage in BIOS to +0.2 and ran Memtest86+ again. Zero errors tests 1-6. Then hit 2 errors in test 7, and zero errors in test 8 to complete a full pass. Wrote down the specific information related to the two errors if that will help.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help

Currently using factory cooling. Core temp. fluxes between 42-45 C. Temp. got to 56 C after making a full pass with Memtest86+. Processor is an Intel P4 Canterwood 875P 2.8GHz.

Tried some memory intensive gaming with the voltage set at +0.2, and got a reboot about an hour in.

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

And with 4 modules Giga-Byte suggests running the memory at DDR333 but I would try and set the timings to Cass 3-3-3-8 and set the Dim Over voltage control to +.2 Volts. But test them one at a time to be sure one is not fialing.

I ran Memtest with each pair seperately and came up with zero errors each time so all I can figure is the errors happened when I had both pairs together. I also noticed that Memtest was listing the memory as DDR402 instead of DDR400. Could that be causing any problems?

Mobo: Gigabyte's GA-8IK1100 (rev. 2) w/ latest BIOS

Processor: Intel P4 Canterwood 875P 2.8GHz

Memory: Corsair's TwinX-3200C2PT (two pairs totaling 4 DIMMs 2GB)

Only changes I have made is set the DIMM voltage to +0.2

I tested each 1GB set individually and came up with zero errors each time. The two errors that occured in test 7 was when both sets were installed. It was suggested that I up the DIMM voltage to +0.3. I'm a little worried about temp. due to only using factory cooling. Would this possibly fix the errors, or is it another problem?

Thanks in advance for the tech. support

Yes, I made sure the lot numbers and version numbers matched between all 4 modules. Each time I run the test with all 4 modules, I get 2 errors during test 7. Any suggestions as to remedy the problem?

On a side note...RamGuy stated Giga-byte recommends running the memory at DDR333. I tried that and couldn't even get the PC to boot up at all. I had to install the old RAM I originally replaced to even get into the CMOS settings to set it back to DDR400 so it would boot.

Archived