Corsair Community

P5WD2 and the "fastest" Corsair Mem for it

wannabemedontu

Don't want to beat a dead horse but..., I don't completely understand the latency differences combined with the speed choices(667, 675, 800,) What I want is some choices of the fastest(like top 5) dual channel 1 gig for my new box. I see the recommended twin2x1024A-5400UL at 3-2-2-8, but does that mean it is still quicker than TWIN2X1024-8000UL @ 5-4-4-9? or TWIN2X1024-5400C4PRO? I don't see a maxtrix, chart, rating that makes that kind of comparison. Please help the ignorant. I promise not to blame you if I fry my box. :biggrin:

Well... it all depends how much you want to (READ: Are able to.) overclock.

Your system would default to DDR533 (266MHz) at stock which is PC4300. A small overclock up to DDR667 (333MHz) and you've got PC5400. A big ol' run up to DDR1000 (500MHz) and you've got PC8000.

Now, 4-4-4-12 is slower than 2-2-2-5, but ONLY at the same speed. See, memory running at 400MHz and CAS 5 (for instance) is still faster than memory running at 200MHz and CAS 2. That's a huge frequency difference.

HOWEVER, take note that this usually requires your FSB to be overclocked just as high (there are dividers, but it will require an overclock) and many systems can't go that high or their owners don't want to push that hard.

With yours, I think the Twin2X1024-5400UL would be the best choice for latencies and overclocking headroom.

PLUR

CK

• 4 weeks later...

I am building my first machine, and was totally confused on the issue about mem, FBS, and over clocking. I have been searching for this answer for a month, while waiting for my wallet to come out of the clouds from buying all my other components. I only need to buy my memory to fire this thing up, but waited because I just didn't understand what to buy. All the experts and know-it-all's either don't understand or can't speak in simple enough terms for us newbies just starting out to make an educated purchase. My local computer store was really nice in getting my case, MB, drives, and CPU, but when I asked them about memory they just rattled off sum confusing stuff about how P4's with DDR2 was going to run so much slower than their MB's with AMD CPU's and DDR , and asked if I was sure I wanted to go that route? :eek:

So, thanks to wannabemedontu for asking my question the right way, and to CandyKid for answering it the way I could understand. I have 2 sets of Corsair TWIN2X1024A-5400UL on the way from Newegg. This is a great forum, and has made purchase a lot easier for me, and I think all my future builds will have Corsair memory in them too, Keep up the good work guys.

• Corsair Employee
You should be fine with this, but when you first install the system I would just use one set and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 Volts and do your setup and install with just one set installed. Then when you install all of the modules you may need to relax the timings, but I would use http://www.memtest.org to test the system with all four installed to make sure its stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it up and running, and my 7800 burns thru graphics with this combo. :eek:.(boy getting the raid set up was a pain :(: ) It defalted to DDR533 (PC4300) just like CandyKid said. My next question is what to do to get a mild overclocking going?

P4 640 3.2gig

Asus P5WD2 premium

Nvidia 7800GTX

Corsair 5400UL

2 WD 74G Raprors in RAID 0

Aspire Aluminum X-Navigator case

CPU runs at 46 deg

MB runs at 37 deg

rock stable

Well, you start pushing your FSB up to see how fast the CPU will run.

Keep in mind that whatever memory divider you have will also increase the memory speed, so depending on how high you go, you might need to change the divider.

Sometimes it helps to increase the VCore by 0.05 volts and to loosen the memory latencies by a little bit.

Just increase until you're happy, or if it overheats/becomes unstable, back it up to the last good config...

When overclocking, however, make sure you have a good/powerful PSU and good cooling/airflow. Buying a bigger/badder/better heat sink and fan for your CPU can do wonders and I've always replaced the thermal compound on my Northbridge with something better like Arctic Silver V or Ceramique.

PLUR

CK

I got the CPU from 3.2 to 3.6 gigs

The FBS from 800 to 904

the memory is set at 3-3-3-8 at 278mhz with 2 volts

the temps stay at 49 deg CPU 38 on the MB while online and runningmost of the things I do with it.

highest temp I saw after 4 hours of gamming was 59 deg CPU and MB stays at 38 :cool: I'm not sure if i should raise the chipset voltage? or which setting it is in the Bios.

Archived