Corsair Community

xms 3200 v1.2 is defaulting to 2-2-2-6 133mhz

leigh6

Hi,

After using 2 of your value sticks 2x512 and really liking them I bought from fry's a stick of xms 3200c2. 2-3-3-6 timings.

I have had a stick of your xl stuff with tccd chips and wanted to see what I could do with it. Untill I can get another xl chip I tried matching it with this xms and no matter what I do in the bios (spd, manual sets) it is defaulting my memory to 2-2-2-6 133mhz.

I had a stick of PQI 2-3-3-6 (BTW real nice ram) and it also defaulted to 2-2-2-6 at 133mhz and then I paired it with one of the value dimms and the same thing.

I mixed and matched all the other dimms and had no problem running the system at 200mhz (Actually 210) at 2.5-3-3-7

MSI K8T NEO-F

3500 Newcastle

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Leigh

Mixing modules like that can be very unpredictable. In many cases, it won't even boot. You might try running the timings manually at 2.5,3,3,7 and set the FSB and memory speed back to 200/DDR400.

Mike.

I did manually set them. Even loosened the timings. They still defaulted back to pc2100 speeds. Seems silly that I can use the value ram with any of my other chips and it will run at 200mhz but the xms3200 will not.

• Corsair Employees
First thing, this is common when you try and mix memory. The memory controller is in the CPU with AMD 64 CPU's and the bios setting are done after the post not prior to the post like with a chipset that has the memory controller in the chipset.

Seems silly that I can use the value ram with any of my other chips and it will run at 200mhz but the xms3200 will not.
Well, keep in mind that there are VASTLY different ICs used on those various types of RAM. IMO, you are fortunate to even get it to boot. Since you have mixed the different types of memory you have invited some element of instability into the system. I am assuming you have the dual channel version and this is even more true on dual channel MOBOs which are notoriously picky. It's logical that the system will default to the lowest settings available to maintain stability.

Mike.

Ok,

I found the problem. The dimm will not post at cas 2 at 200mhz. Have tried it single channel in 2 different mobos. It will only post at cas 3 at 133. cas 2.5 at 166 and cas 3 at 200. HMM. Is it possible that the dimm is bad?

Thank, Leigh

Ok,

I found the problem. The dimm will not post at cas 2 at 200mhz. Have tried it single channel in 2 different mobos. It will only post at cas 3 at 133. cas 2.5 at 166 and cas 3 at 200. HMM. Is it possible that the dimm is bad?

Thank, Leigh

Is that using manual timings and Vdimm at 2.75v or is that by SPD?

Mike

Archived