Corsair Community

PWM Repeater help

Hey everyone, I am building a new pc and I decided to go with the 7000x case. I'm completely new to the commander and the pwm repeater. The fans that came with the case are all plugged into the commander, and there's nothing connected to the pwm repeater. Do I do anything with the repeater? I'm not even exactly sure what it is or does? Any help would be grear

You only need the PWM repeater if you go over 6 fans.  That circuit board is effectively a powered splitter for speed control.  The control lead goes to one PWM header on the Commander Core/XT.  All fans on repeater hub run the same speed as assigned in CUE to that header.

If you have something like a H170i Elite with Commander Core and the Commander Core XT from the case, then you probably won't use the PWM hub.  Typical 9-10 RGB fan set up and you simply would designate the fans into two groups to be split across the Com Core and XT for speed and lighting.  Do keep in mind fan lighting is on a controller or channel basis, so pair them of by your intended lighting groups.  Radiator fans should stay with Commander Core for control purposes.  That one has the native link to the coolant temp data.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, c-attack said:

You only need the PWM repeater if you go over 6 fans.  That circuit board is effectively a powered splitter for speed control.  The control lead goes to one PWM header on the Commander Core/XT.  All fans on repeater hub run the same speed as assigned in CUE to that header.

If you have something like a H170i Elite with Commander Core and the Commander Core XT from the case, then you probably won't use the PWM hub.  Typical 9-10 RGB fan set up and you simply would designate the fans into two groups to be split across the Com Core and XT for speed and lighting.  Do keep in mind fan lighting is on a controller or channel basis, so pair them of by your intended lighting groups.  Radiator fans should stay with Commander Core for control purposes.  That one has the native link to the coolant temp data.  

Thank you for the info! I apologize, I'm very new to this. So to clarify, would I attach the H150i to the commander core that it comes with, or the one that came in the case?

You must connect the pump/block to the Commander Core that's in the box.  In the past, most AIO coolers had a small fan controller circuit in the pump housing and then recently maybe a RGB circuit as well.  This poses some challenges packing those in there and then the design of the Capellix pump top is very sleek making the traditional way impossible.  So now those power/control circuits are moved into an external controller --- the Commander Core.  Since they had to move the necessary circuits out, they went ahead and made it a full size controller for 6 like the pre-existing Commander Pro.  On the side of the Com Core will be a wide 20+ pin socket that carries all power/info to the pump.  No connector, no power.

The Commander XT is the sibling controller to the Commander Core meant for standalone use and retail sale.  It loses the AIO pump power circuits and gains 2 temp sensor, a USB passthrough, and an extra LED channel for strips, etc.