Corsair Community

Bad stick of memory.

ty1er

Hello,

I orginally sent this as an email off to corsair support a few weeks ago.

Since i havent got a reply as of yet i figured that i would post this on this forum.

I was just wondering if and when i could get an RMA #, and whatever else i need to get a replacement stick of Memory.

Below is from my orginal email.

Hello Corsair Support.

System info:

AMD 2800+

Asus A7N8X-X (lastest bios)

(2x512) 1024mb Corsair Value Ram (running at stock mhz/timings.)

VS512MB400

LOT 0452018-0

WindowsXPsp2

Here is my current Situation / Problem:

My PC Reboots constantly. Usually within the first couple of minutes of use.

Also when trying to boot from the CD rom (windows xp CD, or anyother general bootCD) i will get BSOD.

At POST the Memory counter is incorrect.

Here is what i did.

I took out 1 of the 512mb Memory sticks, so im booting with a single stick.

It booted into WinXP fine, no errors, no BSOD. I continued to use the PC for normal stuff, internet browsing, etc. I also ran Prime95 for a few hours, and then ran SuperPI 32M for a few hours. I had the PC up for around 6 hours without any problems what so ever.

Then i swapped the ram, to test out the other stick of 512mb ram.

As soon as it boot into winXP the system reboots. It did this a few times.

Another wierd thing is that at POST the memory count would read incorrect sometimes with this stick only. Sometimes when booting it would display 253mb, or 410mb, or 500mb of memory, instead of the correct 512mb.

It took acouple of attemps of trying to boot from the CDrom to finally work, but when it did i booted into the lastest version of Memtest86+. With in acouple of minutes this program reported thousands or errors. Memtest86 also did not read the correct amount of memory installed.

I also tried the orginal Memtest86, (not memtest86+) that also reported a large amount of errors.

I continued to run these tests with this stick of ram install in each street. No matter what street the ram was installed in there was Problems.

Just as a double check, i switched the sticks back and forth 3 times.

Testing the good one, and then "bad" one.

Every time with the same results, errors BSOD with the "bad" chip, and no problems with the other chip.

I also brought the "bad" stick to my work to test it in another PC.

I have been running Memtest86+ on this "bad" stick for about an hour. On this PC it has not spit out an error as of yet. BUT no matter what i have tried this PC will NOT reconzies this 512mb stick as 512mb. It ONly reads as 253mb, then after a few reboots the ram count displays 509mb. again i have tried all of the avalable streets on this Mobo also. Same Result.

Im figuring that there is infact a problem with this stick, My home PC reports many Memtest86 errors, and reads the memory quaintity incorrect. and my work PC doesnt displays the correct amount of RAM installed.

I wish i had another PC to test it in, but i dont.

thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts and set the memory frequency at 100% and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another MB and or system.

Ah but to obtain an RMA you should've posted in here in the first place ;): . Now that this is posted Ramguy will look at your post & will tell you where to go from there...

Good luck!

hmm, yeah i relize that now. ;-)

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts and set the memory frequency at 100% and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another MB and or system.

My motherboard is running the latest bios, and i have also tried running the ram @ default, 2.7, and 2.8 volts.

The results were all the same, One stick gave me no problems, and the other stick gave me Errors in Memtest, and bsod.

Archived