Corsair Community

Boot Probs /w Chaintech 7NJS and TWINX1024-3200XL

Tick Raw

Hi,

I just received my pair of two 512MB XMS 3200 TWINX1024-3200XL Dual Channel Modules. I installed them in dual channel configuration on my Chaintech 7njs zenith motherboard (not the "ultra" one). Well, detection by SPD says 2-2-2-5, so i left it that way. I also tried every possible lower combination of timing. The best results went with the SPD settings. Wenn Windows XP prof startet up the Logo boot screen of the OS appeared and after that: (where usually the logon screen appears) automatic reboot. No POST errors, nothing. The only possible BIOS setting to get the RAM to work is to reduce the FSB of my Athlon XP 3200+ to 166 MHz or lower. Higher (RAM)latency settings resulted in complete freezes where even the bios was inaccessible. Switching the modules to no-dualchannel settings didnt work either. Starting Windows up in Safe-mode... to no avail.

I know, the dimms are not on your compatibility list for this board (which i just realized), but i'd think it to be almost impossible to crosscheck every of your dimms in every board

Any help appreciated,

Tick Raw (Germany, which is an excuse for bad English :)

Please try and set the Dim or DDR Voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if that will solve the problem.

Sry, no, it doesnt. Same effect as before except i get a blinking cursor instead of a XP boot screen. By the way, I still use XP SP1. Would an update to SP2 perhaps solve the problem? Or should I set the dimm voltage even higher?

One thing caught my eye. Since I installed the new RAM, my TFT receives a lot of video noise during boot up. Thought I mention that. It didnt do this before.

Thx for the fast reply,

Tick

• Corsair Employees
That might suggest a power problem, you might try and manually set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Voltage to 2.8 Volts. If you still have this issue please list your complete system spec including the make and model of PSU.

Here we go.

I tried your suggestions and failed. No other effect than before. I noticed, that the video noice is due to the reduced FSB to 166. No noise at 200, but no OS either.

For my specs. I exported an everest export as a text file. Since i didnt know what you need, i included nearly every spec i found useful. I attached a txt file to this post.

For my PSU: Its a Thermaltake Purepower 360 Watt ATX.

Anyway, I crosschecked it with a brand new Enermax 460 Watt, which my hardware store was so nice to lend me, but results still were the same as before.

Edit: While doing the specs, only one of the two ram modules is present in the machine. CPU says 1.5V and Mem says 2.7V but I checked with 1.65V Core an 2.8V mem, in every possible module constallations, as you told me.

So, what now?

I´m getting desperate...

Tick

Tick_Raw_SysSpecs.txt

• Corsair Employees

With a 166 FSB CPU or faster you cannot run the memory out of sync with your CPU. If you do it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may make the system unstable.

Front Side Bus Eigenschaften:

Bustyp DEC Alpha EV6

Busbreite 64 Bit

Tatsächlicher Takt 167 MHz (DDR)

Effektiver Takt 333 MHz

Bandbreite 2666 MB/s

Speicherbus-Eigenschaften:

Bustyp DDR SDRAM

Busbreite 64 Bit

Tatsächlicher Takt 200 MHz (DDR)

Effektiver Takt 400 MHz

Bandbreite 3200 MB/s

Please set the memory Frequency at 100% or 1-1 with the CPU and then test the modules again.

I am sorry that things got unclear. The processor is in fact a XP 3200+. But if I set the FSB to defaults, means 200 MHz the system behaves as described in the first post. That, in fact, is the problem. The only possible way to let the system startup is to set the FSB to 166 or lower. Thats the only way to post these messages you just read :). To say it again: The problem occurs when i set the FSB to 200 and the mem to 200, no matter what latencies are configured, the system crashes at windows startup after a clean POST without errors.

Interesting: everytime after such a failed boot attempt with 200/200 I checked the windows eventlog and found 14 consecutive errors, event ID 15. The translation would be something like: "the device device\hardisk2\D is not accesible yet"

No further explanation is given. D:\ would be on the physical HD that holds the bootvolume C:\

Tick

PS: I tried to boot the system via a Windows PE from CD and even that crashes directly after the desktop screen appears.

• Corsair Employees
Then I would suspect you either have a bad CPU or maybe the CPU fan is not installed correctly or there is some problem with your MB. But I would suggest testing the modules on a known working system to take them out of the loop!

Since my computer runs 24/7 and i did not have one single crash in the last semester I assume that the CPU works absolutely fine. As well, I checked the mem with docmem and memtest over the last 2 nights IN THIS BOARD with no error occuring. My MB has an nforce2 chipset, not the ultra one. The fact, that it supports CPU higher than FSB 333 came with an bios update some time ago. I think it will just dont work. It just makes me wonder that POST goes absolutely fine and then crashes at windows startup. I would have awaited a complete system freeze in case of incompatiblity, but not this kind of behaviour. Im going to check the mems on an EPOX 8RDA3+ on monday which has the ultra 400 chipset.

Thanx anyway.

I hope you earn the money that you deserve :)

I will never again buy something different from corsair with that kind of support being around. Thought Id mention that.

Tick

UPDATE: Man, believe it or not. I just dated my board up to the latest BIOS which was only meant to fix the board to accept sempron CPUs. And that did it. I tried to to a bios update much earlier but the chaintech.com.tw site was down. Abd anyway, i di not think that update to bring the desired success. But it did it.

System seams to work stable. If there will be signs of incompatibility, I'll be happy to post them here.

CU at the next pair of RAMs :)

Tick

Archived