Corsair Community

K8N neo platinum fails to post

danws2

Computer with a msi k8n neo motherboard ran fine with one stick of corsair xms cmx512-3200c2. When I tried to add another stick of the same memory it will not boot, all I get is a steady beeping from the machine. It will boot with either stick in bank 1, but it will not work with both sticks in any combination of the banks. What should I do next? memory settings? bios?

• Corsair Employees
If you can find another use for your old module I would just send the new one back and get a CMX1024-3200C2 for best performance. Other wise these 2 modules would not be compatible with this platform at the same time. Sorry!

If you can find another use for your old module I would just send the new one back and get a CMX1024-3200C2 for best performance. Other wise these 2 modules would not be compatible with this platform at the same time. Sorry!

Thanks for the help. I guess that is what I will have to do. When I bought the first stick I did so with the intention of upgrading at a later date. I didn't realize at the time that I would have to scrap what I had to do so. Did I miss something? I didn't realize I was buying an "orphan". I'm starting to feel sorry myself ! :confused:

• Corsair Employees
Well with this platform you would need to match the modules part# and revision other wise this may be the out come. Sorry. And I do understand your intentions, but MB's now are not like they used to be in that the memory controllers are running at much tighter tolerances and have less margin or room for slight differences. But if you can find a module that matches what you have now both in part# and revision # you should not have any problems, it's just easier to buy new memory.

"Find another use for my old module?" A bowtie? A RAM mobile?(the artwork)

Do other manufacturers do this? Or is this "feature" a Corsair only issue?

Seems to me that if RAM is not going to work with other RAM of the same model

number....then it should be a different model number. That would eliminate the incompatibiltiy issues. But then of course you would have a lot more model numbers to keep track of which would make things more difficult for you...rather than us. Maybe you should start a Match.com- type website for ram owners.

We could fill out or profiles and then wait for our RAM soul-mates to come along

and live happliy ever after.... But seriously.... how about a traders board for all of the good but orphaned RAM out there?

• Corsair Employees

There is already a place like that; I think its called http://www.ebay.com. But please note if you purchase a module from another user that may VOID your warranty, so if you choose this route please make sure the module is in good working order before you trade or purchase.

And all of our modules have revision # on them and this is a limitation of the memory controller not the memory. So yes this would be the same issue with any module maker. We are all subject to the same issues as supply and demand of memory IC's will vary as memory IC makers refine their dies the IC are subject to change. And as far as I know we are the only module maker that publishes the revision changes publicly.

Archived