Jump to content
Corsair Community

How can I get my lighting profile to apply automatically


LDGD97

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have a lighting profile for my VENGEANCE RGB PRO. It is my only profile in the software and it's the default one. How can I get the lighting to apply when my computer starts? iCUE is already set to start on windows start-up.

I have to click the "Hardware Lighting" tab every time I want to use the profile. Why are there such things as "default profiles" when it literally has no impact if it doesn't apply by "default". This app is a shambles. You can't even edit the profile without it turning the RGB off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Hardware Lighting” is for setting a basic effect and saving it to the the device’s memory. This is your lighting state when CUE is not running like boot, shutdown, BIOS, etc. 

 

The “Lighting Effects” tab directly above that uses the full software and system resources to create lighting patterns. This is the active effect when CUE is running. 
 

If the RAM is your only CUE device, you do have the option of setting the hardware lighting, then setting CUE not to run on Windows start. The hardware lighting will remain active. Otherwise, set the lighting you want in “lighting effects”. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

“Hardware Lighting” is for setting a basic effect and saving it to the the device’s memory. This is your lighting state when CUE is not running like boot, shutdown, BIOS, etc. 

 

The “Lighting Effects” tab directly above that uses the full software and system resources to create lighting patterns. This is the active effect when CUE is running. 
 

If the RAM is your only CUE device, you do have the option of setting the hardware lighting, then setting CUE not to run on Windows start. The hardware lighting will remain active. Otherwise, set the lighting you want in “lighting effects”. 

Yeah, it makes perfect sense in the UI, but it simply doesn't work. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

If I restart my device, the hardware lighting effects don't play. There is no effect applied automatically until I open the software and click on Tab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Hardware Lighting it does not matter which profile you use to apply the effect.  Profiles A-Z all write it to the RAM a few seconds after you select it.  Unlike most lighting effects, RAM hardware lighting is automatically written to the modules the moment you select the effect.  When in CUE and HW Lighting for the RAM, do you see the slight pause from when you select the effect to when it then appears on the actual RAM modules?  If it does not show after that slight pause, then it there may be another software program interfering with the save process.  

 

Are you able to produce a normal "Lighting Effects" pattern when CUE is running?  If you can't do that either, than something very likely is blocking software to RAM access.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, c-attack said:

For Hardware Lighting it does not matter which profile you use to apply the effect.  Profiles A-Z all write it to the RAM a few seconds after you select it.  Unlike most lighting effects, RAM hardware lighting is automatically written to the modules the moment you select the effect.  When in CUE and HW Lighting for the RAM, do you see the slight pause from when you select the effect to when it then appears on the actual RAM modules?  If it does not show after that slight pause, then it there may be another software program interfering with the save process.  

 

Are you able to produce a normal "Lighting Effects" pattern when CUE is running?  If you can't do that either, than something very likely is blocking software to RAM access.  

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say 🙂

The RAM will take any lighting preset I give it; the lighting is working fine in terms of what I tell it to do. Yeah, there's around a 2 second pause between clicking the Hardware Lighting tab and the effect being applied. That's not my issue.

The issue Is have it I have to open iCUE and click the Hardware Lighting tab every time I boot the system, even though iCUE starts when my computer starts. Given that I'm writing the effect to the RAM modules, shouldn't it be automatically applied on startup? That's what I am trying to achieve, auto-play on startup 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I reinstalled iCUE and now it crashes when I click the Dashboard tab. I think the software was corrupt. Now I suspect there are "files" which it's reading when I click the Dashboard tab that I can't located.

Nothing has been installed since its reinstall.

Edited by LDGD97
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LDGD97 said:

don't think you understand what I'm trying to say 🙂

The RAM will take any lighting preset I give it; the lighting is working fine in terms of what I tell it to do. Yeah, there's around a 2 second pause between clicking the Hardware Lighting tab and the effect being applied. That's not my issue.

No, I am having trouble trying to figure out how this can happen and I don’t think I’ve ever seen another report for this. It seems like the HW effect is being saved to the sticks, it should revert back to your current profile lighting effect the moment you click off the HW Lighting tab, but then not showing when you start the PC is extremely odd. There is no software in play from anyone (except the BIOS) so there can’t be a conflict. It would make sense if the lights never worked, but they seem to work fine with the software running. I think it’s time to start a support ticket. Be aware they will probably follow the same questioning pattern we we were doing above, so you probably want to head that off by emphasizing that software lighting and the HW Lighting save process appear to work, but nothing happens at power on. Give them a screen shot of CUE with a Hardware Lighting pattern set. 
 

Does the RAM also stay blank when you manually quit CUE from the task bar?  Given the above I would expect yes, but it would be interesting if HW Lighting came on then but not at boot. 
 

The dashboard may or may not be related. Unfortunately it has a tendency to “go blank” randomly at boot. This is an ongoing issue and while irritating if you use the dashboard, should not cause performance or functionality issues. So if you click the + and it crashes, either there is an install issue or there is a fight with some other software on the SMBus.  
 

1) Any other RGB or monitoring programs active?  Typical ones are your motherboard RGB control software and things like AIDA or HWINFO for detailed monitoring. These can get locked up with each other when they try and access the same device at the same time. 
 

2) Even when running other software, a full on crash is not the normal result and the original issue is bizarre as well. You probably need to do a full clean install with the registry checks. See the directions below. Make sure you export and valuable profiles before doing this. It will delete all settings and data. 
 

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, c-attack said:

No, I am having trouble trying to figure out how this can happen and I don’t think I’ve ever seen another report for this. It seems like the HW effect is being saved to the sticks, it should revert back to your current profile lighting effect the moment you click off the HW Lighting tab, but then not showing when you start the PC is extremely odd. There is no software in play from anyone (except the BIOS) so there can’t be a conflict. It would make sense if the lights never worked, but they seem to work fine with the software running. I think it’s time to start a support ticket. Be aware they will probably follow the same questioning pattern we we were doing above, so you probably want to head that off by emphasizing that software lighting and the HW Lighting save process appear to work, but nothing happens at power on. Give them a screen shot of CUE with a Hardware Lighting pattern set. 
 

Does the RAM also stay blank when you manually quit CUE from the task bar?  Given the above I would expect yes, but it would be interesting if HW Lighting came on then but not at boot. 
 

The dashboard may or may not be related. Unfortunately it has a tendency to “go blank” randomly at boot. This is an ongoing issue and while irritating if you use the dashboard, should not cause performance or functionality issues. So if you click the + and it crashes, either there is an install issue or there is a fight with some other software on the SMBus.  
 

1) Any other RGB or monitoring programs active?  Typical ones are your motherboard RGB control software and things like AIDA or HWINFO for detailed monitoring. These can get locked up with each other when they try and access the same device at the same time. 
 

2) Even when running other software, a full on crash is not the normal result and the original issue is bizarre as well. You probably need to do a full clean install with the registry checks. See the directions below. Make sure you export and valuable profiles before doing this. It will delete all settings and data. 
 

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-
 

Yes, it is very strange. I've tried to disable all other software which takes control of devices but it does the same thing. This is the only piece of software controlling my RAM anyway so that shouldn't make a difference.

What makes it even more confusing is if I X off the application, the pattern also turns off and the RAM shows no colours as if it's being re-written. I have to have the application open with the window lowered for any effects to play.

I resolved my issue with the software by deleting all the cached files and registry keys, of which there were about 5 locations (pain in the backside). Everything now functions nicely.

Ill create a ticket.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...