Corsair Community

Value Select Compatibility Problem

Hapless Harry

Hi Everyone. First post here from Harry in the UK and need some help and advice.

I have been running 1Gb of Value Select (VS1GBKIT533D2) for a couple of months in my Abit AA8 Duramax mobo with no problems, 2x512Mb in Channels 1 and 3 (they're colour matched on the mobo). My local approved vendor (overclockers.co.uk) has a good deal on the same product, and I purchased another same spec kit yesterday to boost to 2Gb.

I've tried installing the new kit (there are 4 slots on the mobo and this goes into Channel 2 and 4 fills them up), and the pc hangs up on booting. When I run with only the new memory modules in Channels 1 and 3 (default) it all works the same as the old memory, so I know it's not a warranty issue and won't be able to RMA it.

So I'm a bit stuck her. Have two good sets of memory, that both work fine on their own, but put them together and it all falls over. If it helps, the serial number on the original ram is 869-0505008-1-001047 (on both), and the new kit is 869-0519010-1-392562 (/-392559). The new modules also have a different chip arrangement than the originals, despite being same spec.

Any ideas, help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hapless Harry

It may be several things : Some chipsets don't like more than a GIG of memory while some can't go to a certain speed when more than 1 GIG is present. My board for example can do 200MHz (DDR400) BUT if you put more than a GIG of memory in there it can only do 166MHz (DDR333). Since both of your DIMM sets works flawlessly my guess is one of those two common problems, Although id put serious money on the later. Try lowering the speed of your memory, it just might work...

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Thank you both for your replies. In answer to RAM Guy comment, this is the setup I've got (I'm still a bit noobie, so please excuse if I've got stuff phrased wrong, but details should be correct!)

MB is Abit AA8 Duramax w/925 Intel chipset

Processor is P4 3.2 running at 3.26Mhz, external clock 204Mhx x16

FSB is 200Mhz

I have no perfomance enhancements, it's running at installed defaults. What BIOS settings for CPU or Memory would you need? If it helps I have DRAM Timing selected as Auto, but it can be user specificed.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived