Corsair Community

Icue software not changing fan rpm.

Just recently bought 6 ql120 fans and a commander core xt, rgb control is working perfectly fine but I'm unable to change rpm. I've tried fan curves, rpm%, reinstalling and legacy drivers to no avail. Attached is my current rpm on "quiet speed". Help would be greatly appreciated. 

image_2022-11-26_150328268.png

Hey, hey!

Did you try a custom fan curve, as I do not see one created under the Cooling Preset. Once done use the dropdown box for the sensor and select an option for the case fans. Graphic card is always a good one so the fans begin to spin faster and pull in more cool air from outside the case as the gpu gets hot.

Yeah I have 

2 minutes ago, PJH said:

Hey, hey!

Did you try a custom fan curve, as I do not see one created under the Cooling Preset. Once done use the dropdown box for the sensor and select an option for the case fans. Graphic card is always a good one so the fans begin to spin faster and pull in more cool air from outside the case as the gpu gets hot.

Yeah, I have tried that a few times and nothing happened.

This is not very common and most of the time new users forget to change the sensor value or other first steps. You definitely want off those presets that are not functional for the XT. 

Shutdown the PC and flip the PSU off. Wait about 30 seconds, then PSU back on and boot normally. That should reset the Commander XT. It looks to me like they are all stuck at maximum and the auto-detect feature on the XT locked up in the test phase. 

Edited by c-attack

Hey, hey!

Does certainly seem odd not to do anything for doing such on either the old Commander Pro or the newer Commander Cores work in the same way.

casefancurve.thumb.jpg.9c839c01e1ebad26efff5790b0e08c68.jpg

EDIT: C-attack responded during my post. So if their suggestion returns the same result, I posted an image of a custom fan curve for you just for reference or anyone else.

Edited by PJH

1 minute ago, c-attack said:

This is not very common and most of the time new users forget to change the sensor value or other first steps. You definitely want off those presets that are not functional for the XT. 

Shutdown the PC and flip the PSU off. Wait about 30 seconds, then PSU back on and boot normally. That should reset the Commander XT. It looks to me like they are all stuck at maximum and the auto-detect feature on the XT locked up in the test phase. 

Sadly I've tried that as well.

Ok, while powered on physically disconnect and reconnect PWM header #1?  Does it recover?

If not, go to plan B. In the device setting click on “check for update”. It will come back and say “none”. However this reveals “force update”. Click it to reload the firmware. That should force the entire device to reset and then do a new fan check after the load. 

1 minute ago, c-attack said:

Ok, while powered on physically disconnect and reconnect PWM header #1?  Does it recover?

If not, go to plan B. In the device setting click on “check for update”. It will come back and say “none”. However this reveals “force update”. Click it to reload the firmware. That should force the entire device to reset and then do a new fan check after the load. 

I've gone through your plan b by looking through other forums, just tried the first one to and nothing.

I think it’s time to contact Corsair Support and/or exchange the Com XT with the vendor. If it doesn’t respond to a power cut and it doesn’t respond to a firmware reset, I’m not sure what will make the difference. 

The fans are maxed from the moment you power on until the moment you shut down, correct?  This seems to be a hardware issue, but you can try a repair of the CUE app. Go to Windows Apps and click on Corsair iCUE. Select “modify” and follow the repair prompts. It will not erase profiles or settings. This probably will not help, but it also has zero risk and takes only a minute. 

Just now, c-attack said:

I think it’s time to contact Corsair Support and/or exchange the Com XT with the vendor. If it doesn’t respond to a power cut and it doesn’t respond to a firmware reset, I’m not sure what will make the difference. 

The fans are maxed from the moment you power on until the moment you shut down, correct?  This seems to be a hardware issue, but you can try a repair of the CUE app. Go to Windows Apps and click on Corsair iCUE. Select “modify” and follow the repair prompts. It will not erase profiles or settings. This probably will not help, but it also has zero risk and takes only a minute. 

The issue only happens when the icue app is running, the fans slow down when it's completely closed and when my PC is first booting, i will try to repair the app and then contact corsair for help if it doesn't work, thanks for the help.

OK, not what I was expecting.  Quit the CUE.  Then navigate to C:Users/(name)/AppData/Roaming/Corsair/CUE 4 and find the "cooling folder". 

Open it up and either delete or cut and paste that configuration file out of there.  Then close the folder and restart CUE.  It will recreate a new config file.  You loose existing fan profiles, but I don't think you have any and it appears the file may be corrupt anyway.  

4 minutes ago, c-attack said:

OK, not what I was expecting.  Quit the CUE.  Then navigate to C:Users/(name)/AppData/Roaming/Corsair/CUE 4 and find the "cooling folder". 

Open it up and either delete or cut and paste that configuration file out of there.  Then close the folder and restart CUE.  It will recreate a new config file.  You loose existing fan profiles, but I don't think you have any and it appears the file may be corrupt anyway.  

Once again same issue.

Since the fans back down when you quit CUE, it no longer seems like a hardware issue.  The only thing left is a clean install of CUE and it is likely what support is going to say at this point.   Make sure you export any existing software profiles before doing this so you can get your lighting programming back.  You will have to redo basic CUE settings. 

Last chance for something else....   are you running any other fan control or software monitoring programs besides CUE?  The typical motherboard fan control program cannot access the Commander XT.  Some other 3rd party programs might.  The most common conflict are programs like AIDA or HWiNFO.  They get locked up with CUE trying to read the controller.  However, the more typical reaction is garbage or impossible data (66K RPM, -217C, etc) and/or missing information from the UI.  This would not be a normal reaction to those programs, but it seems stubborn whatever the underlying cause.  

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-

Edited by c-attack

7 hours ago, c-attack said:

Since the fans back down when you quit CUE, it no longer seems like a hardware issue.  The only thing left is a clean install of CUE and it is likely what support is going to say at this point.   Make sure you export any existing software profiles before doing this so you can get your lighting programming back.  You will have to redo basic CUE settings. 

Last chance for something else....   are you running any other fan control or software monitoring programs besides CUE?  The typical motherboard fan control program cannot access the Commander XT.  Some other 3rd party programs might.  The most common conflict are programs like AIDA or HWiNFO.  They get locked up with CUE trying to read the controller.  However, the more typical reaction is garbage or impossible data (66K RPM, -217C, etc) and/or missing information from the UI.  This would not be a normal reaction to those programs, but it seems stubborn whatever the underlying cause.  

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-

Now I have no idea what's going on as not even a clean install worked. Also I checked if I had any of those 3rd party controllers and nope, none of those.

I am not sure what is going on at this point either.  Obviously start a support ticket with Corsair if you have not done so already.  In the meantime, go into the Commander XT and set up Hardware Lighting for your fans.  Then go over to CUE general settings and click off the CUE start with Windows option.  This will at least give you some color and tolerable noise levels while you try and sort this.  

2 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I am not sure what is going on at this point either.  Obviously start a support ticket with Corsair if you have not done so already.  In the meantime, go into the Commander XT and set up Hardware Lighting for your fans.  Then go over to CUE general settings and click off the CUE start with Windows option.  This will at least give you some color and tolerable noise levels while you try and sort this.  

Will do, Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Did you ever figure this out? Icue is doing the same thing for me. Whenever I quit iCUE the fans on my h170i spin down. It only applies the fan curves if i run icue. The second I quit iCuet (not minimize), the fans spin down as if it's no longer applying the fan curves.

this may happen if you don't use the H170i temperature as control variable for the fan speeds