Corsair Community

Bad memory module

Butain

I have a stick of CMX512-3200C2

400 mhz, CL2, v2.2 0322058

running it in an asus a7n8x-e deluxe, AMD athlonXP 2500+ barton

I purchased this memory a few years ago, and its been actually running quite well until about 4 months ago. I noticed games randomly crashing, when i tried to unpack files i'd get CRC errors. The other day i finally got fed up with it and ran memtest for 8 hours, came up with about 40,000 errors from test #5, and about 28 errors from test #7.

thats running at 133 mhz , 2.5-3-3-6, as specified on the ramstick itself. i've also tried in the past to run it at 166 mhz, with and without looser settings, and i got a few less errors, could have been coincidence but all of them came up on memtest showing around 40,000 errors, running for about 8 hours each time. I was planning on RMAing it earlier, but after i found out i had to post on the forums i lost interest, as time is money. If i may have overlooked something, or if you need more info, please let me know. Anything to help solve this issue would be great.

- Butain

by the way i LOVE corsair ram :)

No, really, its the best...

oh yes, and i purchased my ram from Newegg.com,..

Newegg + Corsair = heaven.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the memory frequency set to 100% and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please make sure that you have the memory frequency set to 100% and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Yes, let me just clarify my last post. I had the FSB set to 133, and the ram was set to SPD. i set it at 100% memory speed, and 166 FSB and did memtest before i went to work. came back and there were no errors, so that seemed to have solved the errors, but now the ram is only running at 166 (333Mhz) not the 200 (400Mhz) that it is rated at. Does the processor have to run at 200 FSB in order to obtain the ram at that speed as well? Also, i always had the voltage for the memory at 2.7 volts.

Did i mention i love Corsair ram?

Also, how did you get such an awesome job?

Really, if all computer part companies had forums like this, the world would be a better place.

-Butain

• Corsair Employee

Yes,

This is a chipset limitation.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333.

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

If you are in the bay area there several companies always hiring.

Archived