Corsair Community

which xms for p4p800 deluxe

geckoman

I have an asus p4p800 deluxe with a p4 2.6GHz 800 FSB 512 cache with twinx1024-3200LL, CAS 2-3-2-6 1T, non-ECC, unbufferred (512MBx2). I am running XP home SP2 and have 2 HDD - 80GB and 120GB Seagate 7200.

i want to add twinx2048-3200C2PT - will this work ok or should i get something different.

also - when i put these matched pairs in - should both of one match pair go in 2 adjecent dimm slots, or both on the same side of the two sets of 2 dimms?

thank you,

john

I am sorry but I do not know what you mean by "you may not be able to post the system" Could you elaborate please?

Thanks,

John

Yes they would run in this system, but you would have to replace the modules you have now, you may not be able to post the system if you Mix memory.

Your computer goes through a POST (Power On System Test) check whenever you turn it on/reboot. One of the things that will halt this process is a memory incompatibility.

What he's saying is that all four modules together might toss up one of these errors.

HOWEVER, you can definately try them together, but please set the VDimm to at least 2.75 volts (not to exceed 2.9) and try these latencies with all four:

CAS - 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay - 3

Row Precharge - 3

Cycle Time - 7

Also, put one set in slots 1 $ 3 and the other set in slots 2 & 4.

PLUR

CK

Thank you CandyKid.

I am somewhat of a newbie geek in that I haven't done as much tweaking with my computer as many others on this forum has.

Anyway - to set the latency values and Vdimm - do I do this is the BIOS setup? I am not at that computer right now so I can't checkt that.

On a another thought - I notice that Corsair does not make TWINX2048 3200LLs, so if I stayed with LLs I would only be able to have 2 GB. I edit a lot of large 100-300 MB+ files in photoshop 7. I thought the best way to increase my working speed would be to add RAM. From a $ standpoint - it makes more sense to go with 2GB of C2 as opposed to 1 GB of LL. How much of a difference would it be if I had 2xTWINX1024 3200LL as opposed to just TWINX2048 3200C2? Would I even see a difference?

One last question for now - I understand ECC and the value of it, and I note that the 3200LLs have ECC, but supposedly my mb - asus p4p800 deluxe - does not support ECC. Is this true? I notice that the only registered ECC in the 2GB variety is the TWINX2048RE 3200. From the Corsair recommended modules -this one is not mentioned as being compatible with my mb.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks,

John

Your computer goes through a POST (Power On System Test) check whenever you turn it on/reboot. One of the things that will halt this process is a memory incompatibility.

What he's saying is that all four modules together might toss up one of these errors.

HOWEVER, you can definately try them together, but please set the VDimm to at least 2.75 volts (not to exceed 2.9) and try these latencies with all four:

CAS - 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay - 3

Row Precharge - 3

Cycle Time - 7

Also, put one set in slots 1 $ 3 and the other set in slots 2 & 4.

PLUR

CK

• Corsair Employees
The Intel Springdale Chipset will not support ECC, and this MB and Chipset will not support Registered memory. The part# TWINX2048RE-3200 would be for AMD Opteron CPU's only. The best choice if you need 2.0 Gig of memory with this MB would be TWINX2048-3200C2.

Archived