Corsair Community

How to run TWINX1024-4400C25 at DDR550 ?

Hi guys.

Im relatively new to A64 overclocking so if you could please excuse my noobiness as im used to the easier overclocking techniques of the XP processors :D.

Anyways, I have just splashed out $320 on a 1 gig kit of Corsair PC 4400 DDR 550 RAM and am having difficulty in overclocking my current system for it to run at DDR

My current PC specs are as follows:

- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with BIOS 1011

- AMD 64 3000+ Winchester S939

- Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25 1 gig DDR 550

- ThermalTake Big Typhoon CPU Cooler

- Swiftech MCX-159R Northbridge Cooler

- Enermax 420W Noisetaker PSU

- Leadtek Winfast PCX 6600 GT Extreme

- Zalman VF-700 Cu VGA Cooler

- Western Digital 200 GB SATA HDD

- Pioneer 109 BK

- Liteon 52x32x52 CD-RW

- 2 x 120 mm fans and 1 x 80 mm fan

- Windows XP with SP2 Corp Edition.

Considering that I have sufficient cooling for all components, I am not very worried about heat problems.

Anyways onto the overclocking.

I first set the HTT multiplier to 3x and turn off Cool 'n Quiet. I left the Max Memclock settings in the DRAM Configuration menu to AUTO.

Then I proceeded to the JumperFree Configuration menu. From here i change the Overclock Profile to Manual. From here on in I get REALLY confused lol.

I change the CPU frequency to 275 MHz as that is what i thought DDR550 is. I keep the multiplier at 9x and bump the DDR Voltage to 2.7 Volts and the CPU Voltage to

1.450 Volts. I also set the PCI lock to 33.33 MHZ.

Now I boot up. I was able to successfully boot up with the RAM modules in 128 Bit dual channel mode but it says im running the RAM at DDR266 :( Regardless I go into

Windows and look up CPU-Z for answers and it shows me that:

Core Speed: 2477.9 MHz

Multiplier: x 9.0

HTT: 275.3

Thats all good. Now i go to the Memory Tab and I freak out! lol

Channels#: Dual

Frequency: 177.0 MHz

FSB:DRAM: CPU/14

CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks

RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks

Cycle Time (Tras): 6 clocks

Bank Cycle Time (TRC): 22 clocks

DRAM idle Timer: 16 clocks

Now looking at that, is my TWINX1024-4400C25 RAM running at (177 x 2) = 354 MHz DDR?

Also, does that mean that I am using a memory divider instead of 1:1 ?

And if so, how can i change it so that I can run the memory at 1:1 at 275 MHz and that is the reason why i bought this expensive RAM lol.

If this question has been covered then if you could please post the link to the solution as I have been looking around the Internet and have not had much luck

finding a solution (or im probably not looking hard enough lol).

Anyways, thanks in advance and hope to hear from anyone soon as this $320 DDR550 RAM which is running at DDR266 is killing me lol.

Thanks again,

Ging :):

I have not actually gotten to handle one of those MOBOs. But, my guess is that the setting you need to change has to be either under the Frequency: 177.0 MHz tab or the FSB:DRAM: CPU/14 tab. When you higlight these settings, what options does the bios offer? I don't think the current A64 MOBOs offer synch and asynch options like in the past.

And, a poster here named Garvin has put up some really helpful links to the ASUS ALI MOBOs. You may want to search for posts by him and you'll probably find what you are looking for.

Mike.

I have not actually gotten to handle one of those MOBOs. But, my guess is that the setting you need to change has to be either under the Frequency: 177.0 MHz tab or the FSB:DRAM: CPU/14 tab. When you higlight these settings, what options does the bios offer? I don't think the current A64 MOBOs offer synch and asynch options like in the past.

And, a poster here named Garvin has put up some really helpful links to the ASUS ALI MOBOs. You may want to search for posts by him and you'll probably find what you are looking for.

Mike.

Hello there Mike.

Actually the Frequency and FSB:DRAM settings were the readings from CPU-Z and were not in the BIOS.

I might PM Garvin and see if he can give us a hand with getting this RAM running at DDR 550.

Anyways thanks for the input. :biggrin:

Ging

Hello all,

Well it seems like the DDR 400 / 333/ 266 settings in the BIOS are actually the memory dividers LOL. Man I feel stupid lol.

Anyways ive not figured that out and am still trying to get the memory running stable but seem to have hit a brick wall once again.

I have been constantly trying to run the RAM in:

- Dual channel configuration

- CPU multiplier at 5x

- PCI lock set at 33.33 MHz

in its advertised speeds of:

DDR 550 (275 MHz)

and timings of:

2.5, 4, 4, 8.

Unfortunately, I have had no luck and it seems that the maximum speeds i can get the RAM running at is around the DDR 500 mark. Anything above that Memtest86+ will show up errors on the first pass.

I have tried all VDIMM voltages up to 2.90 Volts and have not dared to go any further.

Again, cooling should not be the culprit as the airflow in my system is quite good.

Currently I am running at:

- Memory Divider of 333MHz

- Memory Timings of 2.5, 4, 4, 8

- HTT of 300 MHz

- Multiplier of 9x

- VDIMM at 2.9V

- VCORE at 1.550V

- PCI Lock at 33.33 MHz

With these setting I am able to boot into windows and even have a game of Counter Strike Source (but not Battlefield 2 Demo, although many users are getting crash to desktop errors like myself with non overclocked PCs). But when I run Prime 95 it get to 49 Minutes and produces some error. So therefore its not completely stable at the moment.

So could anyone advise me on what to do as if I do not find out how to get it running at 275 MHz I may soon return it to the supplier and purchase the TWINX2048-3200C2 Kit instead.

Thanks in advance :biggrin: ,

Ging

Player33-

With your current settings you are pushing almost a full ghz overclock with that CPU. (300x9=2700) Are you able to run Memtest86 on the system with no errors? If you are able to pass with no errors and you are failing Prime95 the CPU probably has hit the roof. I would suggest trying 275 FSB 1:1 @ 2.5-4-4-8 w 2.8 vDIMM with Memtest86+. If that passes go back into the OS and run Prime95 again. If everything passes just bump up the FSB a few mhz until you have errors in Memtest86 or Prime95.

Hello SpDFre@k,

Yeah I am able to run Memtest86 with the system at 300x9 with divider at 333 MHz. It passes without any errors.

I have also tried running the HTT at 275 MHz with 1:1 Divider at 2.5-4-4-8 and also 3-4-4-8 with both 1T and 2T at 2.9 vDIMM and it still wont boot and wont even pass a single pass in Memtest86.

But it seems that the TWINX 4400 Ram just doesnt like my MOBO / CPU setup as I was able to test the ram on a Intel 915 GAG board at work with RAM settings up to DDR 533 and it passed Memtest86 and was able to boot into windows fine, albeit the RAM modules were running a bit hot.

Anyways this overclocking troubles with the TWINX 4400 should be over soon as I have requested for it to be returned to our supplier for store credit with which i'll be buying TWINX2048-3200C2 kit :D

Anyways guys thanks for the replies,

Ging

too bad all you had to do is go to a 133 divider...and if the winnie could handle it would have booted ...

have a 3000+ venice does 9x300, 1.6v,3x HTT, 2.5-4-4-8 1T,133 divider,with the same memory, cpuz veriified#25120, done this on both a msi k8nneo2plat & asus

Archived