Corsair Community

Max 'safe' coolant/water temp AIO?

al07k

I have the H100i PRO XT and I can't seem to find a solid answer to this anywhere. I'm just curious as to what would be considered a 'safe' coolant (not CPU) temp under big gaming loads. Right now I'm sitting at around 30°-32° when browsing. And I have my fan curve setup to ramp the fans right up to max when the coolant hits 40° during gaming. Would I be okay putting the fan speed to max when the coolant temp hits 45° or even 50° instead?. I just want to try to safely give myself as much room as possible while gaming, before my PC starts to sound like it's ready to take off.

Thanks

Edited by al07k

As far as hardware goes, most manufacturers list 60C as the maximum liquid temperature.  In reality, you are going to have temp problems before that point and CPU max temp will come into play before then.  I typically suggest anyone who crosses 50C in H1xxx Temp take a hard look at the system to see what's going on.  Since liquid temp is also minimum CPU temp, 50C H100i temp means 50C CPU temp with zero volts.  On most CPUs that will put you into the 90s as soon as the CPU is loaded.  

Your reported results above are exactly as expected and many users will see a higher coolant temp during gaming than when running a pure CPU stress test.  This is because the GPU waste heat increases the ambient temp in the case and minimum coolant temp = case ambient temp.  Effectively the GPU heats up the radiator.  Go ahead and make a custom curve that lowers the fan speed around 40C.  You can't reduce the coolant temp below 40C if the air under it is 40C too.  On your new curve set 50C as the max fan speed, last point.  You are not going to accidentally slide from 40-50C.  That takes a large amount of heat and would likely be from another source, not the CPU.  At the same time, the 50C=100% serves as an alarm bell if something unexpected did happen, like the pump not starting on boot.  It would immediately react over the first 15-20 seconds and you would know something was wrong.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1

That looks fine to me and you can tweak it a little further if you like.  You don't get dramatic shifts in temperature by changing fan speed +-100 rpm.  So if it's just a little too buzzy, always drop it down a peg.  If you want to drop the second to last point at 45 down a little bit you can if you start to run over 40C by a little bit.  

• Thanks 1

Okay thanks alot for the help, appreciated. I just needed someone to confirm to me I was somewhat on the right track and not miles off in terms of a fine curve setup lol. Now I know I got an okay baseline here. I can tweak a little bit where needed.