Corsair Community

Hydro x series xg5 no RGB and not detected by icue

Go to solution Solved by Lincolnshire,

Hi,

I just updated my whole PC with an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero, i9 13900K, Dominator DDR memory and a RTX3090 Ti FE. To liquid cool the 3090 I used a Hydro Series XG5 waterblock. However I don't seem to be able to get the block to light up when connected to the ARGB socket on the board, and iCUE does not detect it, but it does detect the memory.  What am I missing?

The board contains 3 addressable gen 2 headers. None of them light up the board. I find it hard to think that all 3 would be defective. Any ideas? 

If you've used the MB style "adapter" to connect the XG5 to your motherboard 5v RGB header, then your motherboard software is in control.  You must use Armory Crate and CUE cannot control your MB D-RGB headers.  In order for CUE to control it, it must be connected to a Corsair RGB controller like a Commander Pro/XT or Lighting Node Pro.

Hi, thanks for your suggestion.

I tried Armor Crate this morning. Still no joy. I am connected via the MB adapter you mentioned that came with the XG5 to connect it directly to the MB. The armour crate scan did not show any Gen 1 or Gen 2 device connected for any of the headers. I am not even sure what gen the XG5 is considered to be, but regardless it didnt show up in the AC Addressable Header tab. Should I consider this an RMA and request a refund?

I tried I don't want to purchase a RGB controller just to have that not work either. 

• Solution

Just as a final follow up to this thread. I tried each of the MB RGB headers with the RGB strip from another waterblock. Each one lit up immediately. As the XG5 does not light up at all the assumption here is that the Corsair XG5 waterblock is defective. I will be returning it and getting something different. 

Thanks all! 

OK, sorry to here that.  Unfortunately I don't use Armory Crate/Aura anymore, so I can't guide you through their software side.  It should be listed as something like ARGB or D-RGB #1 or #2.  Then in the settings you can tell Aura how many LEDs in the chain.  The XG5 has 16 LEDs.  The same will be true for any other block that uses the MB style connector and is to be controlled by Aura.  LED counts vary by block and manufacturer.