Corsair Community

Commander Pro vs Commander Core XT

LJHCPA

I'm starting a new system build and have already purchased a Corsair 5000X case. I will be getting the AIO Capellix LCD for the CPU, and am going to add some LL 120mm fans. Since the AIO comes with the Commander Core XT I checked on its specs on the Corsair website and noticed it has a note saying the XT is not compatible with the SP fans that come pre-installed on the 5000X. Why would Corsair sell a product that's not compatible with all its products?  How can the SP case fans be controlled with the Core XT if it's not compatible?

Do I need to purchase LL or ML fans to replace the SP fans? What is the difference between the Commander Pro and the Commander Core XT? Would the Pro control the SP fans? I have a Commander Pro in another system and it controls 7 LL fans just fine. As to which fans to use I understand the ML fans have more airflow, but I like the looks of the LL fans better--more LED's and more light.

I anticipate having between 10 and 13 fans (maybe have push-pull fans on the AIO--ML's on top pulling and LL's on the bottom pushing) in this new system. Is there a problem using Y splitters to add more than 6 fans to an Core XT or Commander Pro? Can a Core XT and Commander Pro be used at the same time, or will that cause conflicts?  I'm sure I will have more questions once I get started installing hardware in the case--seems like everything I want to buy is out of stock or on backorder.

I've been reading some of the posts in this forum (there's a lot to read) and noticed the SP fans that came installed in my 5000X, and claimed to not be supported by by the Core XT, are alleged to be 3-pin fans. I looked at mine and they have 4 wires in both the fan control and RGB control. Does this mean the SP fans might be supported by the Core XT? Can the case mounted fan and RGB hubs be connected to the Core XT or Commander Pro?

Also noted other threads here that show diagrams indicating it is possible to have a Commander Pro and Core XT installed together. The only limitation I can see is USB connections may be a problem. With only two on my desired Mobo I may have to use an internal hub like the NZXT--which I have one in my other build. Will such a USB hub cause problems with iCue or other Corsair hardware? It didn't seem to adversely affect my other build.

yep the core XT being PWM only it's not compatible with the old SP models that are 3 pins DC controlled.

If yours are 4 pin they are newer models of SP. It just gets confusing because Corsair named several fans the same way.; SP, SP pro, SP Elite.. If you just go by "SP" you never know.

The NZXT hub doesn't cause any problems. in fact it solves some quite often and many of us use these. they are good to go

The 5000X comes with 3 SP-Elite fans. These are 8 LED center hub fans with a PWM motor. They will work just fine on any Commander Pro/Core/XT fan controller. The “SP-RGB” was the original Corsair 5v addressable fan. It was 3 pin DC, 4 LEDs, and not like everything that came after.  It is out of production and no longer used in Corsair cases for several years. You have to be really careful with the superlatives tacked in the end of a Corsair product name and it often denotes a generational shift.

Your Capellix AIO comes with a Commander Core controller, not the Commander XT. There are some subtle but critical differences. The Com Core has the power connector for the pump and is required. You cannot run the AIO from a Com XT.  Other than that, the fan speed and RGB control is the same. 

You can mix LL 16 led and SP-Elite 8 led fans on the Commander Core, but be aware you can’t make center hub fans do ring effects when they don’t have a ring. If you are shopping ML fans, make sure it’s the ML-Elite.  This is an 8 led fan intended to match the SP-Elite.  The three included fans on the radiator are ML-Elite 8 LEDs, but without the fancier retail frame.