Corsair Community

13 fans in Corsair 5000T! What is needed to control them all?

HungryHamster

I'm planning on getting the Corsair 5000T case. It has 3 intake fans in the front and I'll be adding 3 fans on the side for intake, 1 in the rear for outtake and a 360mm radiator on top in a push pull configuration.

Ideally, I would like to be able to control all of these fans separately. For instance, changing the 1 rear outtake fan without changing the speed/color of other fans, or changing the 3 on the side without it changing the speed/color of the radiator fans.

I know this case comes with a Commander Core XT and the QL120 3 pack comes with 1 lighting node pro, but is there anything else I need to buy to control all of these in the way that I would like? Also, will I need fan splitter cables?

Any help would be appreciated. I did see the diagram for a 10 fan setup, but this is even more.

*Note all fans will be QL120 except the top side of the radiator which will be the ML fans it comes with.

This case comes with a commander core XT only, so it can control 6 RGB fans for both speed and RGB (I configured it for intake from the front and the side). If you don't plan to use Corsair Elite Capellix or Elite LCD series cooler, a lighting node Pro(the one comes with 3 RGB fan pack) can connect up to 6 RGB fans' RGB only. That will be 12 already. To get the last one, you need an extra lighting node Pro for the last one. In short, you need 2 lighting node Pro to achieve what you want (assuming you don't mind using fan splitter or use fan header on your motherboard for speed control). 

If you use a Corsair elite capellix series cooler or Elite LCD series cooler (I used H150i since it's the biggest AIO that 5000T can install), then you can already control 12 RGB fans for both speed and RGB. You will only need one lighting node Pro for the last fan. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, johnkramorbhz said:

This case comes with a commander core XT only, so it can control 6 RGB fans for both speed and RGB (I configured it for intake from the front and the side). If you don't plan to use Corsair Elite Capellix or Elite LCD series cooler, a lighting node Pro(the one comes with 3 RGB fan pack) can connect up to 6 RGB fans' RGB only. That will be 12 already. To get the last one, you need an extra lighting node Pro for the last one. In short, you need 2 lighting node Pro to achieve what you want (assuming you don't mind using fan splitter or use fan header on your motherboard for speed control). 

If you use a Corsair elite capellix series cooler or Elite LCD series cooler (I used H150i since it's the biggest AIO that 5000T can install), then you can already control 12 RGB fans for both speed and RGB. You will only need one lighting node Pro for the last fan. 

Thanks for your response. I will be getting the H150i Elite LCD cooler as well. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that I plug the commander core (which comes with the Elite LCD) into the commander core XT (which comes with the case) and then I have full individual control of 12 fans for RGB and speed. For the last fan I use one of the lighting node pros (which comes with the QL fan 3 packs) and that will give me RGB. But, to get speed control of that last fan I will have to use a fan splitter cable so it will be tied to the speed of another fan.

That all seems fine to me. I just want to make sure nothing else is needed like a USB hub. I've seen a lot of people posting about needing something like the NZXT Internal USB 2.0 Expansion Hub. I've also seen a lot of people running into issues with iCue not recognizing the different hubs or not being able to use more than 2 which seems like it could be a problem since I would need 3 (commander core, commander core XT and lighting node pro).

On 10/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, HungryHamster said:

Thanks for your response. I will be getting the H150i Elite LCD cooler as well. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that I plug the commander core (which comes with the Elite LCD) into the commander core XT (which comes with the case) and then I have full individual control of 12 fans for RGB and speed. For the last fan I use one of the lighting node pros (which comes with the QL fan 3 packs) and that will give me RGB. But, to get speed control of that last fan I will have to use a fan splitter cable so it will be tied to the speed of another fan.

That all seems fine to me. I just want to make sure nothing else is needed like a USB hub. I've seen a lot of people posting about needing something like the NZXT Internal USB 2.0 Expansion Hub. I've also seen a lot of people running into issues with iCue not recognizing the different hubs or not being able to use more than 2 which seems like it could be a problem since I would need 3 (commander core, commander core XT and lighting node pro).

The commander core XT does not feature a USB hub, only a passthrough (given that your motherboard fully populates 2 USB port on that header). You mentioned you want to get a H150i Elite LCD, that AIO will use 2 USB2.0 ports (1 for LCD module, 1 for commander core). In addition, the commander core XT need a USB port. Since it has a passthrough, connect the lighting node Pro on the passthrough.

In conclusion, you will need 2 USB2.0 headers (given that those are fully populated, so each header gives you 2 ports) from your mother to connect them all (Elite LCD uses 2, commander core XT use 1, and lighting node Pro use 1). The Elite LCD cooler comes with USB2.0 splitter, so you only need one motherboard header. 

You will probably not need a USB hub, but just reply to me with the motherboard you have so I can take a look.

50 minutes ago, johnkramorbhz said:

The commander core XT does not feature a USB hub, only a passthrough (given that your motherboard fully populates 2 USB port on that header). You mentioned you want to get a H150i Elite LCD, that AIO will use 2 USB2.0 ports (1 for LCD module, 1 for commander core). In addition, the commander core XT need a USB port. Since it has a passthrough, connect the lighting node Pro on the passthrough.

In conclusion, you will need 2 USB2.0 headers (given that those are fully populated, so each header gives you 2 ports) from your mother to connect them all (Elite LCD uses 2, commander core XT use 1, and lighting node Pro use 1). The Elite LCD cooler comes with USB2.0 splitter, so you only need one motherboard header. 

You will probably not need a USB hub, but just reply to me with the motherboard you have so I can take a look.

Thanks again for your response. I really appreciate you helping me out with this. The motherboard I'm getting is the ASUS ROG Maximus Hero.

Full specs can be found here: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/spec/

You should be fine with it. This motherboard does feature 4 USB2.0 headers. 

Connect commander core and LCD module with the splitter cable (that will use a USB2.0 header on the motherboard), and connect the lighting node Pro on the USB passthrough on the commander core XT. Then connect the commander core XT's USB cable to another header. Then you should be good to go

Edited by johnkramorbhz
  • Thanks 1