Corsair Community

A fairly simple lighting macro that I've been struggling hard with

Go to solution Solved by PJH,

I've spent several hours trying to wrangle iCUE up to do what I want to, but after beating my head against macros, profile switching and even AutoHotkey I'm at a loss.

All I want to do is turn the full keyboard a static colour for 15 seconds after pressing a particular key. Simple as that. I press the F key, and it turns the entire keyboard white for 15 seconds, then switches back to how it was.

Is this... even possible? If so, I need someone to point out the obvious for me.

I don't think you are going to be able to do this.  It's a bit of a catch-22.  In order to have the 15 sec timer lighting apply to the entire KB, then all keys become triggers for the effect.  On the other hand, if you limit the trigger to "F" only, then only F will light.  

There are two half measures that might suffice.

1) The obvious one is to make only the F key the only part of the lighting.  Simple solid lighting effect for 15 sec on the F key when pressed, stop after 1 time.  No need to link a macro into this and it will light for 15 sec each time.

2) A profile switch key to another dummy profile that had the entire board lit.  This will shift the color for the entire board on the F-press, but having it linger for 15 seconds and automatically switch back is a problem.  You can set it to switch "while pressed" and it will hop back on release.  However, I suspect the 15 sec time is not arbitrary so it defeats the purpose.  The only other way would be a direct profile switch, that KB's static lighting is set to last only 15 seconds and then go dark (or something else).  Then you would need a second profile switch key to go back to Profile 1.  That may not be overly functional.  

11 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I don't think you are going to be able to do this.  It's a bit of a catch-22.  In order to have the 15 sec timer lighting apply to the entire KB, then all keys become triggers for the effect.  On the other hand, if you limit the trigger to "F" only, then only F will light.  

There are two half measures that might suffice.

1) The obvious one is to make only the F key the only part of the lighting.  Simple solid lighting effect for 15 sec on the F key when pressed, stop after 1 time.  No need to link a macro into this and it will light for 15 sec each time.

2) A profile switch key to another dummy profile that had the entire board lit.  This will shift the color for the entire board on the F-press, but having it linger for 15 seconds and automatically switch back is a problem.  You can set it to switch "while pressed" and it will hop back on release.  However, I suspect the 15 sec time is not arbitrary so it defeats the purpose.  The only other way would be a direct profile switch, that KB's static lighting is set to last only 15 seconds and then go dark (or something else).  Then you would need a second profile switch key to go back to Profile 1.  That may not be overly functional.  

No, the 15 second time isn't arbitrary and it's also not really viable for me to manually switch between profiles either.

Is AutoHotkey a viable alternative? I'm admittedly a newbie to that, too, but I feel like it could handle the profile switching and 15-second wait itself - but iCUE doesn't seem to recognize AHK's send function.

Either way, I'm surprised at how limited iCUE seems to be - I thought this kind of thing would be relatively simple, not far beyond the capabilities of the program.

I don't use Hot Key so I can't advise you there.  There were several users who were more familiar with it and might be able to help, but this stuff doesn't come up quite so often anymore.  

The only other suggestion I have is to make the lighting zone smaller or limited to a specific area of the keyboard.  So for example you could make the entire the D-F-G row (assuming US/NA layout) light up like suggestion 1, but I suspect the A-S-D keys are used and probably others.  If you don't use the Numpad, Arrow Keys, Home/End block or F-keys, these could be grouped with the F key to provide a better visual indicator.  It just has to be something you are not using in the game that triggers the color shift unintentionally but is still highly visible.  

I'll take another pass at this later, but I can't quite find a true solution.  

• Solution

Hey, hey!

You need to make a macro for F and a static lighting effect that lasts for 15 seconds. Just realize that every time F is pressed the entire keyboard will illuminate for 15 seconds, so even typing, it will happen. If it is for a game where you are using F, then that is more user friendly for whatever use F has in the game.

The STATIC EFFECT -

Lighting Effects. Select SOLID under  custom. ALL for Quick Lighting Zone. Make your color and input 15.0 for the Lighting Time. Start ON KEY PRESSED; Stop AFTER 1 time. (see included screen for everything you need to set this up) Once done, turn it off under the Lighting Layer. Turning it off will make sure it doesn't turn on if any other key is pressed.

The MACRO EFFECT -

Now we make the macro key for the F to fire the above lighting effect on.

Key Assignments. Add Macro. Select F on the layout or press F. Select ADVANCED. Make sure Retain Original Key Output is on. Assignment Trigger is On Keypress. No repeat. Scroll down to Lighting. Add the SOLID color effect from above. (see included screen for everything you need to set this up).

That is it.

static1.jpg

static2.jpg

• Like 1

The only problem with this is all keys will trigger the 15 second lighting -- not just the F.  However, what might be the best compromise is if you go the first lighting screen above and change it to "play on key pressed".   This will cause all keys to do individual 15 second lighting on touch, but the F key will still trigger the full KB color change you want because of the macro link.  I don't know if this is better or worse for you then using an unused section of the KB as the flag for cooldown.  

No, only F will turn the lighting effect on when the Lighting Effect is disabled with the strike-through eye (as shown in the first image). That's the trick to avoid having the entire keyboard turn full white by pressing any other key.

Edited by PJH

OK, if you can make it work.  There is something in my build version preventing that from occurring and the F key will not trigger the effect when deactivated.  

*Repair install seem to have cleaned up my end.  The above should work.

Edited by c-attack

Yeah, I was having the same difficulty as well, even when I followed every step it would apply on any keypress, not just F - even though I was turning it off in the lighting layer. I updated iCUE and it tentatively seems to work for now.

Appreciate the thorough answer.