Corsair Community

help with my new ram

Zack

I recently purchased "CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail " off newegg.com because my friend had some and said it worked great. Earlier today I installed the RAM and when i turn on my computer it just makes beeping noises and does not work. I put the old RAM back in and it worked just fine, I was wondering if there is a bios thing I need to change so I can make the RAM work right or something. I tried both sticks together and both of them seperate and they didnt work I even tried one stick with an old RAM stick and it did not work. Please Help.

Zack

• Corsair Employees
Might be some changes you need to make. Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

My part number is CMX512-3200C2PT as for my MB i have no idea its some mother board i got from dell =\ and how would i go about posting my bios..and how would i go about finding out my MB type and FSB?

• Corsair Employees

Zack,

With Dell you would need to use the memory that your system requires. In this case you would need to use DDR333 as that would be the fastest speed it will support with a 533 FSB CPU. Sorry!

• Corsair Employees
What is the speed of your CPU and its FSB? and what is the speed and FSB of your friends CPU and its FSB? Also you might see if he can help you test the modules in his system one at a time to make sure one is not failing.

My CPU speed is 2.53GHz as for his it is some really crappy celeron im not completly sure but i know its really bad thats pretty much it...I called him and asked if he wanted to help test it in his computer but he is really sketchy about that stuff thinking it will blow up his stuff if its bad so I guess im just at a big loss

• Corsair Employees
Please check with Dell and see if you can upgrade your CPU to an 800 FSB CPU if you can you should be able to run these modules. But please check with them first as you may need to change more than just the CPU.

Archived