Corsair Community

iCUE v 4.15.153 won't update to v 4.28.177

I just got a Corsair HS80 RGB USB and read that I can adjust the audio with ICUE 4.  I already have iCUE on my system because my RAM is Corsair ,as is half my system, and I used iCUE to control my RAM's RGB. I checked for updates and saw that there was v 4.28.177 available. I ran the update and then when it completed I noticed that it still said I was running v 4.15.153. So, I restarted my computer, but it that didn't help. So, I ran the update again. Same issue. I restarted again. Still didn't apply the update. 

Aside from this issue, iCUE does not recognize my new HS80 headset, and I see nothing that has to do with adjusting audio. I'm assuming I should just uninstall my ICUE and do a fresh install. Will that fix my problem, or is there something else I'm missing here?

There were some unique things in the CUE 4.13-4.15 series that might make it hard to do a 12 step jump up to 4.28.  A clean install (export all your profiles first) is likely the best option.  However, I can link you an intermediate file and maybe you can two step jump up to current times.  I am trying to remember the exact launch date of the HS80, but it may be right at the time of 4.15 in August 2021.  The most likely reason it's not detected is the 4.15 software was not coded for it pre-release.  

This is from the Corsair server.  Try leapfrogging up to 4.28.

https://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_4.20.169_release.msi

Edited by c-attack

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

There were some unique things in the CUE 4.13-4.15 series that might make it hard to do a 12 step jump up to 4.28.  A clean install (export all your profiles first) is likely the best option.  However, I can link you an intermediate file and maybe you can two step jump up to current times.  I am trying to remember the exact launch date of the HS80, but it may be right at the time of 4.15 in August 2021.  The most likely reason it's not detected is the 4.15 software was not coded for it pre-release.  

I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

I ended up doing a clean install and that worked. It now also detects my HS80 RGB USB. However, I am now having issues with configuring the headset's RGB lighting. When I first plugged in the headset, and it wasn't detected by iCUE, the logo on the headset glowed a static white color. I don't know if that's the default color or not, but it just so happens to be the color of all my PCs RGB, including mouse and keyboard. So I liked that. 

But, now that iCUE has detected the headset, I am unable to get the headset's RGB to glow a static color, without also having to set my RAM's RGB to static as well. The problem is that iCUE sets the headset to the same RGB lighting effect that you have your RAM, et cetera, set at. The only way around it, is to click this button button that disables the effects for ALL components. iCUE calls them, "Scenes". The issue is, I have my "Scene", set to "Rain". This looks pretty cool on my RAM sticks, but when it sets the headset to "Rain" it just makes the logo on the headset blink off and on. 

It's odd that, prior to my headset being recognized by iCUE it, by default, set the headset's logo to a static glow. Which is what I want. But, now that I have the updated iCUE installed so that it recognizes my headset, it wont let me set the headset to a static glow without also setting my RAM to a static glow as well. This happens because the part of iCUE that controls your RGB effects, called, "Scenes", disables the headset's, "Lighting Effects", button when it is active. In order to be able to use the headset's own "Lighting Effects" you have to disable "Scenes" for all components. It's not thought out very well, it seems. 

If I'm missing something that is right in front of me, please let me know. I would simply go back to an older version of iCUE that doesn't recognize my headset again, but if I do I can't use the headset's equalizer or sound profile features.  Sorry for my long, run on, post.

1 hour ago, WarNerve said:

The only way around it, is to click this button button that disables the effects for ALL components. iCUE calls them, "Scenes". The issue is, I have my "Scene", set to "Rain". This looks pretty cool on my RAM sticks, but when it sets the headset to "Rain" it just makes the logo on the headset blink off and on. 

That part is working as intended.  "Scenes" are a global master lighting effect that goes over the top of your actual lighting effects like a blanket.  For example, my various devices have their own lighting set to multiple different effects, but I need to turn them all off for a bit.  Rather than hide each effect in each device, you set a "scene" to static black and everything does off with one click and back on with one click.  Same thing works if you want all your lighting to red, rainbow, or whatever for the short term.  You also can individually remove devices from the current scene by clicking on the small color circle on the main device page. 

What you need to do is to create an actual effects in the "Lighting Effects" panel for the HS80.  Click on the device, then find lighting effects.  Click the yellow + to create a new effect.  I am not sure what the original default effect is for the HS80, but most devices are either spiral rainbow or white.  This seems like it was set to Custom->Static->white.  There are a lot of other effects there as well, so you may find something you like more.  

The other not-so-obvious aspect of CUE is "Hardware Lighting" vs "Lighting Effects".  Lighting Effects are for when CUE is running.  This is the maximum options and complexity with the aid of the system resources.  Hardware Lighting is typically a single effect you can save to the device's memory.  It runs when CUE is not running, like boot/shutdown etc.  Typically wireless devices have more limited hardware lighting options, both to minimize the impact or storage requirements and help with battery life.  

Edited by c-attack

27 minutes ago, c-attack said:

That part is working as intended.  "Scenes" are a global master lighting effect that goes over the top of your actual lighting effects like a blanket.  For example, my various devices have their own lighting set to multiple different effects, but I need to turn them all off for a bit.  Rather than hide each effect in each device, you set a "scene" to static black and everything does off with one click and back on with one click.  Same thing works if you want all your lighting to red, rainbow, or whatever for the short term.  You also can individually remove devices from the current scene by clicking on the small color circle on the main device page. 

What you need to do is to create an actual effects in the "Lighting Effects" panel for the HS80.  Click on the device, then find lighting effects.  Click the yellow + to create a new effect.  I am not sure what the original default effect is for the HS80, but most devices are either spiral rainbow or white.  This seems like it was set to Custom->Static->white.  There are a lot of other effects there as well, so you may find something you like more.  

The other not-so-obvious aspect of CUE is "Hardware Lighting" vs "Lighting Effects".  Lighting Effects are for when CUE is running.  This is the maximum options and complexity with the aid of the system resources.  Hardware Lighting is typically a single effect you can save to the device's memory.  It runs when CUE is not running, like boot/shutdown etc.  Typically wireless devices have more limited hardware lighting options, both to minimize the impact or storage requirements and help with battery life.  

The issue I'm having, though, is that the headset's "Lighting Effects", is disabled while you have "Scenes" enabled. To enable the headset's "Lighting Effects" I have to disable "Scenes". When I do that I lose the settings for my RAM modules. I can't find anything that say "Hardware Lighting". I don't know what I'm doing wrong. But as it is now it's like I have to either have my headset set to the same settings as my RAM, or disable the RAM and have my headset doing what I want it to. For now, anyway, I've given up on it and I'm just letting the headset blink because it's trying to do the same "Rain" effect as my RAM modules. At least the color matches.  Thank you for your help. I'll come back to it later, maybe. I'm just getting frustrated right now. That's probably why I'm not getting it.

Right, turn off scenes.  it controls all devices with the same effect.  Then set the lighting effect on each device as intended.  If you have a lot of devices and want most of them to do the same thing, you can use scenes.  When you take the scene off an individual device, it's "Lighting Effect" will now show.  You don't have a Lighting Effect set for your RAM.  

Your HS80 may not have Hardware Lighting at all in the traditional sense to save battery.  

The scenes are useful for people who do not want complex lighting effects and also tend to change the CUE profile often for functional purposes rather than decorative.  

Edited by c-attack