Corsair Community

Installing fans in a Corsair 7000D

I just bought the 7000D case today and I'm trying to move everything over to it since I have a smaller case. I have an Obsidian 500D case that has gotten too small for my needs, and wanted to go bigger.  IMHO, this is one of Corsairs best mid-sized cases.  I have also want to add more fans to the new case along with a new AIO cooler.

Here's my setup:

I have also bought the Corsair H170 Elite Capellix cooler for my new AIO.  I also have bought new 120 and 140 mm fans. I do not want to use the RGB on any of my fans, since I will be using Noctua all around by swapping out the three RGB's on the cooler with 140mm - which will be on the top;  putting three 140mm in the front for intake; 1 140mm in the rear for exhaust; and three 120mm fans on the side for intake  (I want to leave the bottom open in case I want to add another 3.5" hard drive. I need room for at least five 3.5" hard drives for media storage, hence the move for a bigger case (I want to run about 86 TB!) That's a total of ten fans.  (I also bought a new HX1000 PSU and a Asus 3070 Noctua Edition GPU - I have a Asus mobo, with Corsair memory since Corsair and Asus have never let me down with all of their components!) This case (the 7000D) comes with a PMW repeater with a SATA connector.  The 170 Elite comes with a Commander Core. I haven't started the build yet, but I have the iCUE software that I'm using with my present cooler (the H150 Elite). I'm just upgrading the GPU; PSU and the AIO.  Most of the guides I have seen has the setup with the Commander Core with RGB lighting. Most RGB fans have two headers - one for the PWM and one for the RGB. Since I do not want to use RGB (I don't want my system looking like a Christmas tree), how do I set up all ten of the cooler fans and the case fans to work with the iCUE system for speed regulation, etc. Do I plug the header from the PWM repeater to the motherboard, or to the Commander Core to the mobo.   I thought the Commander Core just worked for the RGB lighting and not the PWM. Maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't seem straightforward, since I'm not using lighting. This should be much easier??  I need some help here.

the commander core does PWM and lighting. it's a fan controller 🙂

you have 6 PWM ports, so, with the PWM repeater plugged to one of them, you can easily get your 10 fans connected to it.

All you have to chose is which fans to conect to the repeater, as those will always run at the same speed. Connecting the 6 front and side intake together would make sense.

You could plug the 3 AIO fans on fan 1-2-3 of the commander, as they should come stock, then use  port 4 for the PWM hub (6 intake fans) and port 5 for the back fan.

the 3 first ports are already configured to cool the AIO, so you'd have nothing to change on these in iCUE. For port 4 and 5 you would have to create a fan curve, probably based on your GPU temperature, to cool it down, but, that's up to personal preference

Edited by LeDoyen

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, LeDoyen said:

the commander core does PWM and lighting. it's a fan controller 🙂

you have 6 PWM ports, so, with the PWM repeater plugged to one of them, you can easily get your 10 fans connected to it.

All you have to chose is which fans to conect to the repeater, as those will always run at the same speed. Connecting the 6 front and side intake together would make sense.

You could plug the 3 AIO fans on fan 1-2-3 of the commander, as they should come stock, then use  port 4 for the PWM hub (6 intake fans) and port 5 for the back fan.

the 3 first ports are already configured to cool the AIO, so you'd have nothing to change on these in iCUE. For port 4 and 5 you would have to create a fan curve, probably based on your GPU temperature, to cool it down, but, that's up to personal preference

Hi, is it confirmed from Corsair that we could use 1  port of Commander core with PWM repeater ( with 6 fans) ?  I think I read on reddit  that Corsair doesnt recommend it

Edited by Seth-2023

they don't recommend using simple splitters. these can lead to overload of the port. But if you use a SATA powered PWM hub, there's no issue since the controller doesn't provide any current to the fans.

31 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

they don't recommend using simple splitters. these can lead to overload of the port. But if you use a SATA powered PWM hub, there's no issue since the controller doesn't provide any current to the fans.

thanks for the ultra-important advise. Could you read this page on reddit, looks like Corsair instead that its not recommended.

If i could use the repeater in a single port of commander pro , then no reason to buy an extra corsair XT

sounds like product placement to me 😛

I believe he might have understood that the OP wanted to control the 10 fans individually, which wouldn't work. All fans on a single repeater will work at the same PWM %

But if you need several groups of fans to run at different speeds, you can just use more powered PWM hubs. these are inexpensive, so even if you need 2 or 3 groups of fans, it won't be an issue.

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

sounds like product placement to me 😛

I believe he might have understood that the OP wanted to control the 10 fans individually, which wouldn't work. All fans on a single repeater will work at the same PWM %

But if you need several groups of fans to run at different speeds, you can just use more powered PWM hubs. these are inexpensive, so even if you need 2 or 3 groups of fans, it won't be an issue.

I read that corsair commander core  port has 1A current  maximum. So if i use  4 ML Elite  120 RGB + 2 ML Elite 140 fans i am going to be near to 0.9A 

For sure it works with PWM repeater as i prefer to have the front 3 fans of 140 +  4  side fans of 120 in the same speed , but the port of commander core is going to be bear the maximum limit. 

I think i will go for an extra Core XT to be safe and more organized.  Totall amount of fans that i want to install is 11. 

3 front ML 140  /  4 side ML 120 /  3 top from H170i capellix /  1 back ML 140 

And so far i have 1 commander core ( from H170i)  + PWM repeater from 7000D case  + 1 lighting node from 120 ML triple pack 

if you use the PWM repeater, it's sata powered, so it will draw its power directly from the power supply, not from the commander core. The port draw will be zero.

that's the whole point of powered PWM hubs 🙂

We have somewhere on the forum the famous Zotty's Corsair 1000D with like 34 fans controlled by a single commander pro, and it's basically providing no power at all to the fans. the hubs take care of that.