Corsair Community

please help clarify this for me

hello. I'm planning on using the 5000D airflow for my build. however, I'm not sure how the fan hub on the back of the case works. I'm using an msi pro b660 board. it has 2 fan headers. one normal header and 1 "exhaust" header. where does the hub plug into on the mobo? I'm going to buy 2, 3 packs of the LL 120mm fans. i know the hub maxes out at 6 fans? so can i plug all six of those into the fan hub and plug my exhaust fan into the exhaust header? where do the rgb pins go? i don't understand how any of this works. please help. thank you, a ton,

fans.png

5000d.png

The “fan hub” on the 5000D model is a 6 fan powered PWM hub. This is essentially a 6 way splitter with a circuit board and SATA power from the PSU to supply enough fan motor current. There is a single PWM connection wire that runs back to your fan controller/MB header. All fans on the circuit run the same speed, as directed. 

Since the 5000D does not come with RGB fans, there is no internal RGB controller. That is in the LL 3 pack. There will be a small 6 fan RGB box. Fan RGB wires go there. The box needs SATA power for the 5v current. It then connects to the Lighting node pro in led slot 1. Lighting node pro connects to the motherboard via an internal usb 2.0 connector. 

Your motherboard seems to have limited control options for fan speed. One way to address this is to use a combination fan speed/RGB controller like the Commander XT. This is a slightly larger controller than the LN Pro but with 6 PWM ports on one side and 6 RGB ports on the other. Both fan RGB and PWM connectors go straight into the device. No boosters or extra fan hubs. Now you have individual speed control for each fan, plus the usual RGB addressable LEDs. If you go for this option, price 6 individual LL fans vs two 3 packs and see which comes out cheaper. It varies, but you won’t need the LNPro RGB controllers unless you add more than 6 RGB fans. This option is going to come out slightly more expensive even if you save on the individual fans, but also has a pretty strong upside for control and less in the back. 

4 hours ago, c-attack said:

The “fan hub” on the 5000D model is a 6 fan powered PWM hub. This is essentially a 6 way splitter with a circuit board and SATA power from the PSU to supply enough fan motor current. There is a single PWM connection wire that runs back to your fan controller/MB header. All fans on the circuit run the same speed, as directed. 

Since the 5000D does not come with RGB fans, there is no internal RGB controller. That is in the LL 3 pack. There will be a small 6 fan RGB box. Fan RGB wires go there. The box needs SATA power for the 5v current. It then connects to the Lighting node pro in led slot 1. Lighting node pro connects to the motherboard via an internal usb 2.0 connector. 

Your motherboard seems to have limited control options for fan speed. One way to address this is to use a combination fan speed/RGB controller like the Commander XT. This is a slightly larger controller than the LN Pro but with 6 PWM ports on one side and 6 RGB ports on the other. Both fan RGB and PWM connectors go straight into the device. No boosters or extra fan hubs. Now you have individual speed control for each fan, plus the usual RGB addressable LEDs. If you go for this option, price 6 individual LL fans vs two 3 packs and see which comes out cheaper. It varies, but you won’t need the LNPro RGB controllers unless you add more than 6 RGB fans. This option is going to come out slightly more expensive even if you save on the individual fans, but also has a pretty strong upside for control and less in the back. 

Thank you for clarification. So if I instead decided to go with a smaller case like the 4000D and bought the commander XT. I should be able to setup the 6 rgb fans without much issue? And then plug the commander into one of my fan headers? My biggest concern is wether or not i can even use the commander pro on this motherboard. I dont think i have any usb 2.0 ports? Thank you for your time

Edited by s0ulsynd1cate

every motherboard has them 🙂

Yours has one, JUSB1, check the motherboard layout in the manual to see where it is :

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROB660-ADDR4.pdf

That's where the commander XT will plug.

And nope, nothing gets plugged on the motherblard fan headers at all. it's all through USB. iCUE will controll the fans connected to the commander XT. Basically you are completely bypassing the motherboard fan control, it's not used at all. that's the whole point with going for a separate fan controller 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LeDoyen said:

every motherboard has them 🙂

Yours has one, JUSB1, check the motherboard layout in the manual to see where it is :

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROB660-ADDR4.pdf

That's where the commander XT will plug.

And nope, nothing gets plugged on the motherblard fan headers at all. it's all through USB. iCUE will controll the fans connected to the commander XT. Basically you are completely bypassing the motherboard fan control, it's not used at all. that's the whole point with going for a separate fan controller 🙂

Oh ok! This is also my very first build. I saw in the msi user manual last night I had 1 usb port but does anything take that up? I'm not exactly sure if anything else would have to take up that spot 😞 would I just have to get a different motherboard?

sometimes the case's front panel has USB2 ports that plug there. now most of the time it's USB3 (your JUSB2 connector).

If ever you needed to connect several devices to that JUSB1, you could still get internal USB hubs like this one that many of use have :

https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

it's basically like a powered USB hub you may have on your desk, except it has the internal header connectors (9 pin sockets), and it plugs to the computer PSU for power, instead of using a wall adapter. It allows you to connect more devices to that single JUSB1

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

sometimes the case's front panel has USB2 ports that plug there. now most of the time it's USB3 (your JUSB2 connector).

If ever you needed to connect several devices to that JUSB1, you could still get internal USB hubs like this one that many of use have :

https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

it's basically like a powered USB hub you may have on your desk, except it has the internal header connectors (9 pin sockets), and it plugs to the computer PSU for power, instead of using a wall adapter. It allows you to connect more devices to that single JUSB1

So if I buy that. Plug it into my PSU. That will then let me plug in the commander xt? Then I can plug my fans and rgb into that? And just keep it at the back of the case? Wow rgb fans get expensive lol

You only will need the powered USB hub if you need more than one internal USB connection.  RGB controllers need one and so do more complicated AIO liquid coolers.  The Commander XT also has a USB passthrough connector that works for simple devices.  You can't chain Commanders together through it, but it works on less needy devices like PSUs and basic AIO connections.  

4000 vs 5000D cases -- decide based on what you can fit inside.  The 4000D is the smallest of the "mid-size cases", so it's relatively easy to run into collision issues.  The thread below may help.  The fan RGB and speed connection plan will not change regardless of case choice.  

yea keep it simple ^^ if you don't need, don't buy. If you go with one commander XT, that's all you need. No hub required.

Just to summarize and to clarify if it's still a bit confusing, RGB fans have two cables. One for the fan motor (the PWM cable) and one for RGB lighting.

On the commander XT you have 12 sockets for fans : 6 PWM sockets for fan motors, and 6 RGB sockets for fan LEDS.

You just plug your 6 fans to it, PWM and RGB.

Then the commander XT takes power from the power supply with one SATA cable (the long connector that is L shaped, same connector used to power hard drives and SSDs), and finally, for communication with iCUE, the commander connects to the motherboard USB header.

So, all you need to get everything working is just the 6 fans, and the commander XT. All power supplies already have SATA power cables available., so you don't need to worry about that one.

From there, within iCUE, you will see the commander XT show up, and on it,  you can set your fan speeds, set the RGB lighting etc..

The motherboard fan headers are not used at all. The commander XT takes care of everything in one unit