Corsair Community

Possible bad stick

apetc

I have a system with a pair of VS512MB400C3 (in short: 512MB PC3200) chips running in dual channel. It's been quite good for the past few months but recently started having minor issues. The most noticable is certain operations such as moving or copying large files between drives. This is verified by using a checksum before and after the transfer and only happens very rarely.

Running memtest86 identified an error at about 493.1MB. Removing the good chip and rerunning the test identified the error at about 246.0MB. Since it was running dual channel, this appears to make sense since 493.1 divided by 2 is about 246.

The errors reported were things such as writing f8f8f8f8 and getting f7f8f8f8 back. What should I do at this point? Multiple loops of the test and re-running the test after moving the chips and rebooting still results in the error, so it is definately consistent and re-creatable.

-Mark

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure

Archived