Corsair Community

h100i v2

c1tizen_4

Hello all.

I have realized by now that the product is classed as legacy but I still see lot's of these selling all around worldwide guess that's why it supports for ie the Intel LGA 1200 which is not that old of a socket. I'm a bit outdated when it comes to water cooling systems performance but at the moment and I'm still going through some different setups, like different fans, bio settings some of the iCUE older versions etc. it seems to me that 'would be better' going back to air cooling or getting a different AIO cooler.

Is it a bad call to be running such AIO on my system once I'm getting really high temperature readings ~45/90 and all sorts of issues on latest iCUE software ? non responsive default profiles when it comes to cooling system, fans running full speed with low system loads, changing fans/pump settings don't really work most times.

Thanks for reading.

Corsair CX650F rgb
Intel i5-11400F - Corsair H100i v2 with 2x LL120 fans on rgb hub + node pro
MSI MAG Z590 Torpedo
Kingston FURY Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600MHz
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX580 4Gb
Crucial P5 Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe

icue_.png

icue.png

Edited by c1tizen_4

So if you have a warm room/case temperature, 40C idle coolant temp is not unheard of.  A lot of users will see this in Summer, but with a corresponding 30C+ room temp and a tightly sealed glass case.  If it's 22C in your room and the liquid is 40C at idle, that suggests a problem.  One way to catch it in the act is to quickly open CUE after cold boot when the PC has been off for a while.  A working AIO will slowly warm up 4-6C from where it starts, but that might take 15-20 minutes or more.  If you boot up and can watch your H100i v2 Temp ticking upwards at anything other than a very slow pace, it likely has become partially blocked and this is the result of a low flow rate. 

Unfortunately, this is how most AIOs will end their life.  It is a no maintenance product, but that means at some point things are going to come to an end.  There is no user side fix for this. At this point you are still in a functional state, but it will continue to worsen over time.  If you are still in your warranty period, you can file a claim.  If not, start thinking about what you would like to replace it with.  

• Like 1

Hello @c-attack and thanks a lot for the heads-up.

According to what I recall and read over the years what's happening it's not much different from back in time and you just said it yourself. But I believe the AIO is only like a year old so something ain't right I believe.

Just got a new case as well so both the front and top are still not in place until I got everything running smooth and cables in place. Forgot to tell you that I live up northeast England so my room average temp. is below 20c most of the time and I love it. haha 'Lucky me' I got another AIO unit of the same model so anyway I'll just take my time and check the performance differences running the second unit.

Was about to ask you if the proper fans meaning the stock ones should have somehow a bit of a better performance next to last gen. LL120's even though I believe they won't once the LL's static pressure etc is supposed to be way better.

Also I believe the sensors readings are wrong to start with and quite unstable all the way. Most important functions on iCUE are totally unresponsive... H100i v2 gives me 3 options - hardware lighting + cooling + alerts. Can't turn on/off any of the cooling presets but I do can add new ones. Most times changing the pump/fans modes does nothing regardless of rebooting the OS.

I guess I know where this is going.. i'll just get a custom water cooling system and do the maintenance it requires. Game over.

The difference between a “good” and “bad” radiator fan might be 2-3C at most and even less on larger radiator sizes. Your coolant temp is a good 15C above the expected baseline, so no pump or fan speed setting is going to cause that. Even more concerning is you seem to be at 40C with the pump and fan speeds maxed out.  

Another way to assess this is set the pump speed from Extreme down to Quiet. At idle this should have absolutely zero measurable effect since the cpu is not loaded and at worst is outputting a measly 30-40 watts. However, if you immediately see the coolant temp increase by a few degrees, this is a clear sign there is a flow restriction and the unit is compromised. 

These flow restriction issues are not a mechanical failure nor a result of extended use. You only can keep the coolant mixture in solution for so long. The v2/GTX series went out of production in early 2018, so the clock has been running since it was made and it's not about you’ve been doing with it. If I had a 2016 era model in a box that had never been used, I might run into this issue as soon as I plugged it in. 

A lot of the MB data in cue is going to misleading, but the coolant temp data should be spot on and that is the value in question. The only way you should ever see 40C on the coolant in a 20C room is if you turn off the fans or heat the case up to 40C with a new 600W 4090. 

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1

-17C on coolant.  22C is a lot closer to what was expected -- maybe even a bit cooler.  

• Like 1

My case is still open and got 3x LL120's running at ~40% having no impact on the setup. Need to finish the cables and swap some more fans and I'm done for now I guess.

Will play around with iCUE later on to get to know the extent of working functions/options etc. I got five fans running with a fully open case next to me and just having pretty much anything playing on low volume completely muffles the fans noise whilst still having really low temps.. that was my goal.

For £26 I can't complain at all right.. and works so much better than the first one that is supposed to be a year old.. I'll return it once ain't working as advertised/should.

Regards and thanks once again.

11 hours ago, c-attack said:

-17C on coolant.  22C is a lot closer to what was expected -- maybe even a bit cooler.  

-17c you meant minus 17 on your system ? that's what you get on liquid nitrogen or dry ice right ?  💯

That would be about the only way to do that.  No, -17C change from your previous idle screen shot, 39C -> 22C.  In water cooling that is a massive change and the CPU temp should also be 17C cooler at both load and idle compared to before.  

• 1 month later...

Sorry I know this is not related to the topic. I just want to say that I am so glad I found another post that shows the h100i v2 in iCUE version 4.

For the last three months I've been trying to find out why I can't have lighting settings for this cooler per profile and why I can no longer set a temperature warning colour. This is possible when using iCUE version 3 but not in version 4 for this particular cooler.

On 10/1/2022 at 1:08 PM, c1tizen_4 said:

H100i v2 gives me 3 options - hardware lighting + cooling + alerts

Im glad to see that I'm not the only one seeing only these three options in the latest iCUE. This could confirm that there is nothing wrong with my setup (software or hardware) and that this is normal for the cooler to show up like this in iCUE 4.