Jump to content
Corsair Community

128GB@5200MHz DDDR5 XMP Issues


Go to solution Solved by jspiegel,

Recommended Posts

I'm experiencing issues with running 128GB DDR5 with XMP at 5200MHz and need some advice. I originally built my PC with only 2x32GB Corsair Dominator at 5200MHz, and everything was running smoothly. I saw that the prices of memory went down so I just purchased an additional 2 sticks of ram. After installation, my PC was unstable at 5200MHz. Turning off XMP makes my computer stable, but it only runs at 4000MHz. I am able to turn on XMP but set the frequency to 4800 (haven't tried 5000) and so far it seems stable. I've researched this a bit and see that DDDR5 in the Z690 generation is really not able to handle all four slots with XMP turned on, which is very unfortunate. 

My question is, should I:

A) Keep the two extra sticks and run my PC at 128GB@4800MHz as it appears to be stable

B) Keep the two extra sticks and run my PC at 128GB@5000MHz if it appears to be stable

B) Keep the two extra sticks and run my PC at 128GB@4000MHz with XMP turned off so I know it is the most stable

C) Return the two sticks and run my PC at 64GB@5200MHz, which I know is stable.

Here is my setup:

MB: ASUS Z690 Formula

CPU: i9-12900K

RAM: 4x32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR CMT64GX5M2B5200C40W

GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 12GB

FANS: 10 ML120 Elite Fans, 3 of white are on the H150i Elite Capellix 360mm cooler

 

Thank you in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of issues right now when running 4x sticks of DDR5.

I was unable to run 4x DDR5 at their rated speeds leaving me with the same question. Higher speeds or more Ram. My use case didnt require the extra memory so i choose the higher rated speeds.

There are plenty of forums regarding this issue, wish i could help.

If there is a simple solution i would be very interested to know how

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, rklein215 said:

Lots of issues right now when running 4x sticks of DDR5.

I was unable to run 4x DDR5 at their rated speeds leaving me with the same question. Higher speeds or more Ram. My use case didnt require the extra memory so i choose the higher rated speeds.

There are plenty of forums regarding this issue, wish i could help.

If there is a simple solution i would be very interested to know how

Thank you for your reply. My use case doesn't necessarily require the extra memory either, which is why I'm in this debate. I wanted to fill up the DIMM slots because I wanted to run it at the maximum potential and because the four dominator sticks look so freaking nice. 

I've seen so many things online but nothing really gives me a solid answer. 

I changed the speed from 4800MHz to 5000MHz at the default XMP I profile and everything seems to be okay, at least for now. So idk, do I return the sticks and run 64GB@5200MHz or keep the 128GB@5000MHz (if its stable)?

With regards to FPS, what would give me more: 128GB@5000MHz vs. 64GB@5200MHz?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For general gaming and productivity you will never need 128GB, in my opinion you should run the 2 slots as fast as you can. And hope that Corsair releases a Lighting Enhancement Kit for DDR5 Dominators to fill the extra slots.

I attempted to run 4x16GB Dominator DDR5-6200 CL36 and wasn't able to get speeds even close to 6200. So I cut my loses and returned 2 of them. If there is  BIOS update that suddenly makes 4 sticks easily stable then maybe ill buy them back. But for purely gaming, I have more then enough ram to keep my FPS above 144.

 

12900k, 2x16 ddr5-6200 36cl ram, 3090

gsync 1440p 165hz monitor + 1080p 144hz monitor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a little catch with ram speeds on Alder Lake.

The spec for the memory speed the CPU can run does change depending on how many ram slots the motherboard has, how many sticks you have installed, and how many ranks per stick

DRAMADL.png

With two DIMMs (one stick per channel on a motherboard that has two slots per channel, 4 total), the nominal speed is not 4800 but 4400mhz. That in turn lowers the maximum XMP frequency you can achieve.

Going 128Gb, which is more than likely to be 2 ranks sticks, you go to the lowest in the table ; 4 dual rank sticks = 3600mhz base frequency. Again, that lowers the maximum XMP frequency you can hit.

Basically, the 4800 mhz spec advertized is only valid on ITX motherboards, and the select few ATX boards that only have 1 DIMM slot per channel.

Edited by LeDoyen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input guys. 

Right now, 4800MHz is stable. 

You think I should return the sticks and run 64GB@5200MHz instead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

no idea 🙂 run benchmarks with both configs? see if you gain anything noticeable either way?

i don't think you will humanely feel any difference, but that's just a guess. some applications care a lot about memory frequency, others don't, so it's hard to advise you in either direction.

Personally i'd run only two sticks as much as possible, unless i happened to need lots of ram. That's purely for cooling purposes. 4 sticks don't cool as well. I don't know how it goes with DDR5, having the voltage regulation on the stick instead of the motherboard.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! I'm late to the party but was following the thread because it is relevant for my latest build. I've got:

  • ASUS Maximus z690 EXTREME with latest BIOS 2004 as of 2022-09-16
  • Two Corsair kits DDR5 64GB Dominator RAM CMT64GX5M2B5200C40 for a total of 128GB RAM which I need not for gaming but Machine Learning HPC.
  • Intel i9-12900KS

I bought the two Corsair RAM kits in one order together, so probably I was lucky that the production batch was the same. However, I attribute the stability to the MOBO and its BIOS.

I simply configured the BIOS to XMP II and the two kits totaling 128GB of DDR5 RAM are running stable at 5200Mhz. I tested my system with Passmark PerformanceTest and I'm super happy with the results out-of-the-box as I didn't need to heavily tweak OC or anything, see the baseline for my new build here:

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=164004842012

This new system above beats my previous build in every aspect:

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=163205743702

I loved that I could reach top performance out of the box without doing almost anything. I think I could probably OC the RAM way higher. The two kits DDR4 dominators on my first build were OC-ed to 4800Mhz stable while their official rating was 3600Mhz.

HTH,

Best!

Edited by bravegag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, jspiegel said:

I'm experiencing issues with running 128GB DDR5 with XMP at 5200MHz and need some advice. I originally built my PC with only 2x32GB Corsair Dominator at 5200MHz, and everything was running smoothly. I saw that the prices of memory went down so I just purchased an additional 2 sticks of ram. After installation, my PC was unstable at 5200MHz. Turning off XMP makes my computer stable, but it only runs at 4000MHz. I am able to turn on XMP but set the frequency to 4800 (haven't tried 5000) and so far it seems stable. I've researched this a bit and see that DDDR5 in the Z690 generation is really not able to handle all four slots with XMP turned on, which is very unfortunate. 

My question is, should I:

A) Keep the two extra sticks and run my PC at 128GB@4800MHz as it appears to be stable

B) Keep the two extra sticks and run my PC at 128GB@5000MHz if it appears to be stable

B) Keep the two extra sticks and run my PC at 128GB@4000MHz with XMP turned off so I know it is the most stable

C) Return the two sticks and run my PC at 64GB@5200MHz, which I know is stable.

Here is my setup:

MB: ASUS Z690 Formula

CPU: i9-12900K

RAM: 4x32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR CMT64GX5M2B5200C40W

GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 12GB

FANS: 10 ML120 Elite Fans, 3 of white are on the H150i Elite Capellix 360mm cooler

 

Thank you in advance!

Have you tried updating your BIOS to the latest version? as of now 2004 built from 2022-09-16 (same as mine and the XMP 2x kits are working perfectly at 5200Mhz).

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-FORMULA-ASUS-2004.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bravegag said:

Have you tried updating your BIOS to the latest version? as of now 2004 built from 2022-09-16 (same as mine and the XMP 2x kits are working perfectly at 5200Mhz).

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-FORMULA-ASUS-2004.zip

Just updated my bios based on your recommendation and turned on XMP. Hope this works!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another maybe important detail. I installed the RAM in the following way:

- installed the two RAM sticks of the first kit in the order recommended by the MOBO users manual, that’s it, interleaving an empty slot between them. Check your MOBO users manual.

- then filled the empty slots with the sticks from the other kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yet another update regarding ASUS BIOS in my experience. It is mathematically speaking not associative 🙂, in math (2+3)-3 would be the same as 2+(3-3) but in ASUS BIOS it is not.

If you:

1. reset the CMOS

2. make a lot of OC-related changes and re-boot for stability couple of times.

3. then revert back those changes manually to be at the same level as #1 above, it is not the same BIOS state as resetting the CMOS.

The problem is, the changes on step #2 seems to cause side effects due to BIOS bugs and even undoing them will not bring the BIOS back to state #1 unless you reset the CMOS explicitly.

What I am saying here is, always start clean by resetting the CMOS and make the changes that last worked for you. Making changes rebooting and undoing to other changes may leave the BIOS unstable and misleading you to believe that some settings don't work or are unstable.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After updating BIOS, it was stable...for a few days. Now its back to being unstable. Going to return the two sticks and leave it at 64GB. Very sad that I'm unable to use my CPU and memory to it's maximum potential, but 64GB is still plenty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Now that the 13th gen upped the MHz from 4800 to 5600, does anyone know if the above is possible on the i9-13900K with the Asus ROG Z690 Formula motherboard?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution

I was pointed to this YouTube video: 

It worked perfectly. All I had to do was up the voltage from 1.25 to 1.3 and changed one other setting in the bios.  The memory passed in memtest86 and my computer is no longer crashing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 9:03 AM, TCMathews said:

Come back in a few weeks and post if it's still running with no issues and post an update.

It's been 12 days since I made the fix and it's working perfectly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:23 PM, jspiegel said:

I was pointed to this YouTube video: 

It worked perfectly. All I had to do was up the voltage from 1.25 to 1.3 and changed one other setting in the bios.  The memory passed in memtest86 and my computer is no longer crashing. 

What is the one other setting you changed in the bios?

 

Dis you get 128gb at 4800mhz or 5600mhz to run stable? Have you run a full 4 passes on memtest86?

 

I have a 13900k on a Z690 hero board with 64gb ddr5 at 5600mhz. When I add the other kit to make 128gb, the best I get stable is 4000mhz. Anything over that is totally unstable, fails memtest86 within 10mins. Oh I have the latest bios, latest me drivers & me firmware, also all the latest Asus drivers (lan, data, etc)

 

My minimum speed I'd accept & be happy with was 4800mhz, but I just can't get it to work. Do you have any advice for me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 3:13 AM, Bash13r said:

What is the one other setting you changed in the bios?

 

Dis you get 128gb at 4800mhz or 5600mhz to run stable? Have you run a full 4 passes on memtest86?

 

I have a 13900k on a Z690 hero board with 64gb ddr5 at 5600mhz. When I add the other kit to make 128gb, the best I get stable is 4000mhz. Anything over that is totally unstable, fails memtest86 within 10mins. Oh I have the latest bios, latest me drivers & me firmware, also all the latest Asus drivers (lan, data, etc)

 

My minimum speed I'd accept & be happy with was 4800mhz, but I just can't get it to work. Do you have any advice for me?

I am getting the full speed of my kit, which is 5200, not 5600. It's fully stable and passed all the tests. 

I don't remember the exact other setting, but that video that I posted solved the issue for me perfectly. Have you watched that video?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...